ADVERTISEMENT

Why Free Tuition at Colleges Won't Work

BlueRaiderFan

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2003
under our current systems

https://origin-nyi.thehill.com/blog...ee-tuition-plan-will-make-student-loan-crisis

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo unveiled a plan last week to provide for free tuition for people taking undergraduate courses at both the state universities (SUNY) and city universities (CUNY) in New York. He unveiled the proposal alongside Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who hailed it as "revolutionary."

Unfortunately, the plan isn't revolutionary. In fact, it isn't even good.

The plan, dubbed the "Exelsior Scholarship" is similar to schemes proposed by both Sanders and Hillary Clinton. It creates a new pot of money for the colleges to draw from, and apply it to tuition charges.

This in itself, would be a good thing for students if all else were equal, but the fact of the matter is that colleges are very good at using public funds such as this without passing the benefit on to students.

They can, and certainly will, raise the prices of their other billable items to make up for any decrease in tuition charges.

A good, recent example of this phenomenon occurred in 2009 when the Ensuring Continued Access to Student Loans Act of 2009 (ECASLA) increased aggregate and unsubsidized Stafford loan limits for undergraduate students.

Despite the fact that the country was in a serious recession, colleges across the nation began increasing their prices at record levels, and student loan borrowing accelerated at a rate never before seen in this nation...See link for the rest.

We will know in 10 years...but there is no free lunch.

How should we measure the program and determine its ROI?

With all these blue collar jobs that Trump is bringing back or creating, I think I have counted as many as 2,000, no one will need to go to college. Might not even have to graduate high school to get all these high paying jobs.

With all these blue collar jobs that Trump is bringing back or creating, I think I have counted as many as 2,000, no one will need to go to college. Might not even have to graduate high school to get all these high paying jobs.

Now, now...please get back to the topic. We could make the argument that we shouldn't invest the taxpayers money more for college and maybe consider using this cash to train folks to do different trades.

The headwinds are strong...

Reactions: MTLynn
Even if you used it for trades schools, they would do he same thing. It's also generally how college tuition has been working since they took away bankruptcy protections: Every time Congress approves higher amounts that can be loaned, schools raise tuition to match it, or close to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT