ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL What are your thoughts on the Butler matchup?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Today was the first time I have seen them play all season. I do believe they defeated Villanova twice..That alone tells me they are supremely talented. From what I saw today I think MT has their hands full. I think MT played their B game today and will need to bring their A game Saturday

They are deceptively athletic and play a classic style of basketball. They are fundamentally sound and remind me of a bigger, more athletic Belmont style team.

We will have to force turnovers and shoot very well from the field while winning the rebound game. We'll be at least 7 point dogs IMO.

Todd Fuhrman said on the Midday 180 yesterday that if Butler looked good today we would probably be a 2-3 point dog, and if they won ugly it would be another pick 'em type line. Just FWIW.

Open at -4.

It's going to be a tough game. Going into the game with the Gophers, I thought we were even or the better team. Butler is a little better than us, but they are vulnerable (lost to Indiana St., St. Johns, Georgetown).

If we play like we did today, we lose. Giddy can't get into foul trouble. Dixon can't make mistakes in transition that gives Butler momentum plays. JaCorey needs to come out under control from the beginning. Reggie probably needs to give us a double-double again. And we are going to need someone besides our big 3 to step up in the scoring column, like Brandon did tonight.

If we get that, its going to be a close game and we have a shot. If one of our big 3 has a bad game, I don't like our chances. And we MUST keep the FT differential close. We can't let them get a lot of freebies (seems like that was the only reason Minnesota could score against us for some parts of the game).

I'm excite and hopeful. We got a chance.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Line is a bit tighter than I anticipated. Can't help but wonder if it's because MT has been amazing against the spread this year and Vegas knows the money will be there on the Blue Raiders. This really should be at least 5 IMO. Butler is hands down the better team here, albeit not by much though. I do expect a close game, and we can certainly win if we get hot which is entirely possible. Gotta have a complete game though and hope Butler has a below average night. This is going to be an absolute battle. Can't wait.

Going to be a tough game. They beat Villanova twice this year but I think this will be a close game could go either way.

If Butler shoots like they did yesterday, they'll win by double-digits. Hopefully our defense will be tougher for them than Winthrop's was.

Using the one common opponent (that I know of); Vanderbilt...We played better against the Commode Odors than Butler did. Does that mean much? Maybe not, but I do think it's a bit of an indication that we can hang with Butler and have a good chance of winning.

Butler shot 49 percent and 20 of 30 from the free throw line.

Since both teams play strong defense and have depth I think the team that shoots the ball better wins the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT