ADVERTISEMENT

Welp....

If they are staying, why the delay in stating it? Again, why am I a fan of this team? LOL. Also, the "MAC isn't interested in us right now." tweet is garbage I guess.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
The problem with the "fans" is that all of you looked at this emotionally.

MT just made a business decision. Will it be the right one? Time will tell. I guess it depends on what they do next. But at least there's a chance now. We never build anything or buy anyone out had we gone to the MAC.

So, now that they've made this decision let's see if the commitment is truly there.

MT just made a business decision. Will it be the right one? Time will tell. I guess it depends on what they do next. But at least there's a chance now. We never build anything or buying anyone out had we gone to the MAC.

So, now that they've made this decision let's see if the commitment is truly there.

I hope you are right. I really truly hope that show a commitment to the revenue sports and facilities.

But nothing in the last 20 years has shown me they will.

But again, I certainly hope you are right. I will gladly admit to eating crow.

I hope you are right. I really truly hope that show a commitment to the revenue sports and facilities.

But nothing in the last 20 years has shown me they will.

But again, I certainly hope you are right. I will gladly admit to eating crow.

Yep, this is it. No more chances. Either start making some serious moves or it shows us that they truly don't care. But as I said before and I know a lot of you wanted to go had we gone to the MAC that's the message that they actually would have been sending - that they know they aren't going to build anything and that they don't really care what happens because it would have cost us millions financially to go to a league that's probably just a bad or worse than C-USA. It's definitely poorer.

Yep, this is it. No more chances. Either start making some serious moves or it shows us that they truly don't care. But as I said before and I know a lot of you wanted to go had we gone to the MAC that's the message that they actually would have been sending - that they know they aren't going to build anything and that they don't really care what happens because it would have cost us millions financially to go to a league that's probably just a bad or worse than C-USA. It's definitely poorer.

I don't think they care. There will be no serious moves.

I think we had a chance to win in the MAC - not because they are great programs, just because we'd be in a league with programs as bad as we are. Now, we're going to be a homecoming opponent to Liberty.

I don't think they care. There will be no serious moves.

I think we had a chance to win in the MAC - not because they are great programs, just because we'd be in a league with programs as bad as we are. Now, we're going to be a homecoming opponent to Liberty.
Once Malik leaves Liberty they will be an average team, he covers a lot of their woo's up.

The best hope is that Hugh Freeze makes a jump, could happen but they could also get someone else in just as good.

They have already shown us that they don't care. How many signs do we need? 16 years with the same mediocre coach and 3 years too many with a basketball bottom feeding waste of a hire. We now stay in a league that puts our game times right up against the SEC times. We're gonna be awesome now. LOL. Same leadership in the conference and same school leadership = no change.

The best hope is that Hugh Freeze makes a jump, could happen but they could also get someone else in just as good.
and they will. They have a lot of money and top notch facilities. They will have no problem succeeding for the long haul.

MT just made a business decision. Will it be the right one? Time will tell. I guess it depends on what they do next. But at least there's a chance now. We never build anything or buy anyone out had we gone to the MAC.

A business decision that most folks have argued is a short sighted and highly risky one.

A business decision that most folks have argued is a short sighted and highly risky one.

Can be argued all you want but the risk was reduced when C-USA was able to convince the best FCS program in the nation available and Liberty.

Not sure why it's hard to see that if we go to the MAC and accept their terms, we limit any future opportunities. We would be unable to make any coaching changes. We would never building any new facilities. Our broke asses will be even more broke.

That is a higher risk to accept considering you would be accepting those realities above and going to a league with just as much travel, just as weak ranking/performance wise, and doing it in a league that's worse off financially (i.e. more poor) and is located in places where we don't have alumni and fans won't go to.

And the only logical argument anyone here has come up with in favor of the MAC is stability. Stability to do what? Have the exact same thing we have now except do it up north? It's difficult to see how that one factor stability outweighs all those other considerations.

The delusion is so real. Guess what? We’re going to be in a worse place financially with donor money when folks stop giving like my entire family who has been disillusioned for a while now and this was the last straw. The only money I’ll be spending is when I come into town for WBB games when I can. Forget FB and MBB.

LMAO.

Please tell me oleblue, how do we give up the $4-6M in exit/entry fees and afford to do anything? Not to mention the millions we're leaving behind.

We have no football lockeroom in the stadium. Pieces of the stadium are literally falling off during games. The weight room hasn't been upgraded in over 20 years.

Please tell me how we do it? Go the MAC and give up two years worth of revenue. How would they even balance our ever ballooning budget much less pay for anything beyond status quo? I will sit here and wait to hear from you how we're going to remain financially solvent and competitive with our dilapidated facilities falling even further behind.

Because, the truth of the matter is the MAC distributes even less than C-USA. So, it's not coming from the league. It's not coming from ESPN. Are donations suddenly going to skyrocket by getting an invite to that juggernaut of a conference called MACtion?

You fail to understand that we are not going to be in the same CUSA as we were. Once we burn through those exit fees, the money isn’t just going to appear out of nowhere. What are we going to do with it? Use it to fund a percentage (not all) of the money that we need for those facilities upgrades? Use it to get rid of the head coaches who are mediocre at best? If we went to the MAC, we would have to give up some of the things that we wanted to do in a trade off for a stable and historically successful conference home. We have no chance of that now. We are now in the worst conference in the division, one that has been decimated by teams leaving over and over again, we have no money for anything and we are in debt. No delusions of grandeur that you have will change that.

I don’t care at this point now that we’re staying. I do not give a crap about the football team or men’s basketball anymore. I have other schools I care about a lot more now that they’ve made this horribly bad decision. And guess what? I’m not the exception when it comes to MT supporters. MTSU barely has a fan base and when a chance for change comes along and they say “no thank you” that just alienated people like me (and there are a lot of us) who have just given up on it

Doing nothing is not a business decision, it's job security. There is no commitment. They have been told that they don't have to take risks or move game times or try anything different now. So what will change from this? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There is no emotion from me. "It's a call it like you see it" situation. Your not getting new fans into the mix. When I walked into JRF for the first game, it was a funeral home. I was truly embarrassed. That's not changing. They won't break ground on anything anytime soon. I'll be shocked if they do. They don't have to now.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Can be argued all you want but the risk was reduced when C-USA was able to convince the best FCS program in the nation available and Liberty.

Not sure why it's hard to see that if we go to the MAC and accept their terms, we limit any future opportunities. We would be unable to make any coaching changes. We would never building any new facilities. Our broke asses will be even more broke.

That is a higher risk to accept considering you would be accepting those realities above and going to a league with just as much travel, just as weak ranking/performance wise, and doing it in a league that's worse off financially (i.e. more poor) and is located in places where we don't have alumni and fans won't go to.

And the only logical argument anyone here has come up with in favor of the MAC is stability. Stability to do what? Have the exact same thing we have now except do it up north? It's difficult to see how that one factor stability outweighs all those other considerations.

1. Being in a conference with Liberty and SHSU won't help us because we don't compete with them. If they're dogs, they don't help the conference. If they're good, then they are just another faceless nobody program that stomps us. They're going to grow their program by stepping all over us.

2. You're correct here - IF we use this time and any financial benefit to invest in the program, this could be a winner. It's the only way this works out.

3. Travel is certainly better in the MAC due to more compact footprint, the MAC has a better TV deal and will get a better one in the future. We don't have fans or alumni in CUSA places either.

4. If we have chosen to not compete at the highest level with the max effort - then the MAC is the best fit, that's why the MAC would have been a good move.

Can you honestly say that this program, from what you've seen for 2+ decades, is a program that gives its best effort and placed an emphasis on athletics? If the answer is no, that's why the MAC was the best decision.

More delusion by some on here about getting 100% of the exit fees: "The Southern Miss AD said today that they only need to pay half the exit fee if they move to the Sun Belt in 2022 instead of 2023, and they’re working to get that done as soon as possible. Old Dominion and Marshall want to do the same."

Wonder how we'll spend our pittance. Actually, no, I don't really wonder or care if it's not investing in WBB.

1. Being in a conference with Liberty and SHSU won't help us because we don't compete with them. If they're dogs, they don't help the conference. If they're good, then they are just another faceless nobody program that stomps us. They're going to grow their program by stepping all over us.

2. You're correct here - IF we use this time and any financial benefit to invest in the program, this could be a winner. It's the only way this works out.

3. Travel is certainly better in the MAC due to more compact footprint, the MAC has a better TV deal and will get a better one in the future. We don't have fans or alumni in CUSA places either.

4. If we have chosen to not compete at the highest level with the max effort - then the MAC is the best fit, that's why the MAC would have been a good move.

Can you honestly say that this program, from what you've seen for 2+ decades, is a program that gives its best effort and placed an emphasis on athletics? If the answer is no, that's why the MAC was the best decision.

I think we have a President that is a cancer on the university. Especially athletics and I’m angered to the nth degree that our board gave this clown another five years. WTF were they thinking??

As a result I think Massaro’s job is damn near impossible. I don’t believe he’s a bad AD. He did some good things early but his contract with Stock is a stain as is his inability to successfully fundraise. But again I believe he’s being hamstring by McPhee which is why he tried to leave interviewing for the Ga State job. Because of McPhee I believe he became complacent.

So to JTs point will anything change? As long as McPhee is here it may not. All I can say is maybe this reinvigorates some stuff. It’s clear CM knows our facilities have atrophied which is why he developed the plans for rebuilding. The problem he has is that they haven’t been able to raise the funds primarily because of previous poor decisions like the Stock contract and the McDevitt hire just to name a few. A lot of givers (like myself) stopped giving because we weren’t going to keep throwing more money after bad. But I do know go to the MAC I can guarantee nothing happens, recruiting suffers even more and probably for perpetuity and it’s a decade before we even see another winning season in football. I can’t guarantee they do anything right from here but at least there’s a chance. There was no chance in the MAC and if they do what they should - do their damn jobs - and start breaking some ground we won’t be in this 4.0 version long.

Even though I think the MAC is a bad fit for us I would entertain it in a few years if nothing else was transpiring. The problem with that is McPhee has already made another dumbass decision with that statement. Freaking let the MAC make that announcement they aren’t expanding, let them save face, and keep a future opportunity open. In that single stroke of the pen he has already ****ed us from ever hearing from the MAC again and If I hadn’t lost so much of my ability care about this I would be pissed about it. Right now I’m just well - not a good start to better decision making. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think we have a President that is a cancer on the university. Especially athletics and I’m angered to the nth degree that our board gave this clown another five years. WTF were they thinking??

As a result I think Massaro’s job is damn near impossible. I don’t believe he’s a bad AD. He did some good things early but his contract with Stock is a stain as is his inability to successfully fundraise. But again I believe he’s being hamstring by McPhee which is why he tried to leave interviewing for the Ga State job. Because of McPhee I believe he became complacent.

So to JTs point will anything change? As long as McPhee is here it may not. All I can say is maybe this reinvigorates some stuff. It’s clear CM knows our facilities have atrophied which is why he developed the plans for rebuilding. The problem he has is that they haven’t been able to raise the funds primarily because of previous poor decisions like the Stock contract and the McDevitt hire just to name a few. A lot of givers (like myself) stopped giving because we weren’t going to keep throwing more money after bad. But I do know go to the MAC I can guarantee nothing happens, recruiting suffers even more and probably for perpetuity and it’s a decade before we even see another winning season in football. I can’t guarantee they do anything right from here but at least there’s a chance. There was no chance in the MAC and if they do what they should - do their damn jobs - and start breaking some ground we won’t be in this 4.0 version long.

Even though I think the MAC is a bad fit for us I would entertain it in a few years if nothing else was transpiring. The problem with that is McPhee has already made another dumbass decision with that statement. Freaking let the MAC make that announcement they aren’t expanding, let them save face, and keep a future opportunity open. In that single stroke of the pen he has already ****ed us from ever hearing from the MAC again and If I hadn’t lost so much of my ability care about this I would be pissed about it. Right now I’m just well - not a good start to better decision making. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Let me ask you this - if they are really as broke as you say (and I tend to think they are), then what are the odds that any of the money (if we even get it) will be used for actual substantial program upgrades?

I know you think there's a chance, but what % chance?

Let me ask you this - if they are really as broke as you say (and I tend to think they are), then what are the odds that any of the money (if we even get it) will be used for actual substantial program upgrades?

I know you think there's a chance, but what % chance?
Hard to say. Conference distributions go directly back to athletics. It doesn’t go into some general fund that we then have to figure out how to access. In other words it’s not as though the league is going to cut a separate check to the University titled exit fees. The league will distribute more to the five remaining members as a normal league to athletic member distribution. No one actually pays an exit fee.

Even if USM and Marshall leave early the leagues overall distributions won’t change much two years from now so we will still get a larger cut of whatever would have went to them. So, as far as percentage chance I don’t know. I just know the extra revenue athletics will have. I just can’t say with any certainty how they will use it. My expectation as an alum and quasi donor is they use it for the things that are needed most. And that’s either facilities or firing some people who should have already been let go.

I'm dissapointed, but I can understand the business side of it.

Show me the money we are getting as a result of staying and use it for new coaches and facilities. 2-3 years look to move to a better conference. CUSA is a complete embarrassment now. We decided to stay, which I can understand, but the program needs to deliver now to the fans as to WHY. The only reason is money to improve the program.

If we don't start showing signs this is exactly what we are doing, then I'll likely just give up on the program all together.

"A real stern commitment from the Presidents to be better."

We'll see.

FIU just fired their AD which is a start....but we'll see.

MT needs to move some dirt and hire better coaches across the board in its money sports. FIU needs to find some coaches with a pulse or leave FBS/D1. Liberty can keep on keeping on. SHSU/Jax St need to get up to speed fast, and keep kicking ass on the gridiron. NMSU has been killing it in hoops, but must greatly improve on the gridiron and fast. They likely need a new football coach but they have looked a ton better the second half of this year. WKU is obviously fine but will they stay? La. Tech has been great in hoops and typically good in football but some tough breaks this year. Skip Holtz may need to go. Eric Konkol their basketball coach is a superstar and likely gets a better job soon.

Actions > words. This is hopefully a wake up call that you have to invest in your athletics, strive to actually win championships, keep your facilities up to date, and not let terrible coaches hang around & offer up terrible contracts/extensions to crappy coaches.

Will this be a learning opportunity for the remaining members?

We'll see.

Once Malik leaves Liberty they will be an average team, he covers a lot of their woo's up.
"A real stern commitment from the Presidents to be better."

We'll see.

FIU just fired their AD which is a start....but we'll see.

MT needs to move some dirt and hire better coaches across the board in its money sports. FIU needs to find some coaches with a pulse or leave FBS/D1. Liberty can keep on keeping on. SHSU/Jax St need to get up to speed fast, and keep kicking ass on the gridiron. NMSU has been killing it in hoops, but must greatly improve on the gridiron and fast. They likely need a new football coach but they have looked a ton better the second half of this year. WKU is obviously fine but will they stay? La. Tech has been great in hoops and typically good in football but some tough breaks this year. Skip Holtz may need to go. Eric Konkol their basketball coach is a superstar and likely gets a better job soon.

Actions > words. This is hopefully a wake up call that you have to invest in your athletics, strive to actually win championships, keep your facilities up to date, and not let terrible coaches hang around & offer up terrible contracts/extensions to crappy coaches.

Will this be a learning opportunity for the remaining members?

We'll see.
I do know NMSU has plans to renovate their football stadium as well as other facilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT