ADVERTISEMENT

Welp....

It seems pretty clear that MT is going against WKU’s wishes on this. Might have the pull to do it now, but you need a buddy in case all goes south *again* in three to five years.

Will be interesting to monitor. The rivalry just picked up.

It seems pretty clear that MT is going against WKU’s wishes on this. Might have the pull to do it now, but you need a buddy in case all goes south *again* in three to five years.

Will be interesting to monitor. The rivalry just picked up.

That's the perception at least. Wouldn't surprise me if Massaro is doing Todd Stewart a favor here. It will keep the WKU fan base appeased because it gives the appearance that Todd Stewart wants the MAC but MTSU won't come along.....but in reality Todd Stewart might be just as opposed if not more opposed to the move. So Massaro/MTSU can be the fall guy here incase they do collectively decide to stay in CUSA.

I can't imagine Todd Stewart thinks a 20 year GOR is a good idea for WKU in the MAC.

That's the perception at least. Wouldn't surprise me if Massaro is doing Todd Stewart a favor here. It will keep the WKU fan base appeased because it gives the appearance that Todd Stewart wants the MAC but MTSU won't come along.....but in reality Todd Stewart might be just as opposed if not more opposed to the move. So Massaro/MTSU can be the fall guy here incase they do collectively decide to stay in CUSA.

I can't imagine Todd Stewart thinks a 20 year GOR is a good idea for WKU in the MAC.
I see you are also watching the meeting.
Why does it say off air?
It should be on air now. I am watching it.

Talking to Matt Brown from the Extra Points newsletter, he says that on top of the exit fee to leave CUSA, over the short term (1-3 years) the CUSA TV deal pays more than the MAC deal. However, he expects that to flip once CUSA adds these new FCS schools who bring nothing to the table as far as eyeballs are concerned.

So essentially what this comes down to is short term pain or long term pain. I don’t buy the 20 year commitment thing - or at least I don’t believe there’s any reason to believe something like that is realistic.

10 years is reasonable.

I still don't think going to the MAC is the right choice. I wouldn't do it if the GOR was 0 years.

But 10 years would be reasonable. 20 years is offensive.

And if that’s what we use the money for then why would any other conference want us without investments in facilities like we’ve been told are necessary preconditions for a move?

If we move to the MAC, I could absolutely see Stock work till CUSA is up and retire.
We would start in the '24 season. He only is here through '24.

Real talk for just a moment that we're very clearly approaching a cross roads. When coaches have three or less years on their contract, negative recruiting kicks in. So, one of three things happens.

1) Stock retires soon
2) Stock is fired
3) Stock is extended (potentially after this season).

With the ire of this fan base which has clearly spoken, I can't see #3 being on the table. I mean there isn't a person on this planet that would extend Stock beyond his current contract. Not even these knuckleheads. After this season, CM has to have a real hard conversation with Stock that he's not going to be extended and if he's intent to stay then he's going to have to do it with end of contract hanging over his head. Most coaches do not want to do that. And CRS is still a competitive guy. He's just not a great coach. He's an ok coach, and the prospect of recruiting degrading even further and his last year or two looking like 2-10 or 1-11 type seasons might not seem too appealing to him.

I believe the end of the Stockstill regime is nigh.

Real talk for just a moment that we're very clearly approaching a cross roads. When coaches have three or less years on their contract, negative recruiting kicks in. So, one of three things happens.

1) Stock retires soon
2) Stock is fired

With the ire of this fan base which is clearly spoken, I can't see #3 being on the table. After this season, CM has to have a real hard conversation with Stock that he's not going to be extended and if he's intent to stay then he's going to have to do it with end of contract hanging over his head. Most coaches do not want to do that. And CRS is still a competitive guy. He's just not a great coach. He's an ok coach, and the prospect of recruiting degrading even further and his last year or two looking like 2-10 or 1-11 type seasons might not seem to appealing to him.

(Massaro is working without a contract right now and I have serious doubts he has the power to extend any contracts. If he did he would have one for himself.)

1) Stock retires soon
2) Stock is fired

With the ire of this fan base which has clearly spoken, I can't see #3 being on the table. I mean there isn't a person on this planet that would extend Stock beyond his current contract. Not even these knuckleheads. After this season, CM has to have a real hard conversation with Stock that he's not going to be extended and if he's intent to stay then he's going to have to do it with end of contract hanging over his head. Most coaches do not want to do that. And CRS is still a competitive guy. He's just not a great coach. He's an ok coach, and the prospect of recruiting degrading even further and his last year or two looking like 2-10 or 1-11 type seasons might not seem too appealing to him.

For the love of all that is holy and blue, please be correct in this.

Well that's fair. He doesn't really have the power to do much of anything. McPhee is the one running things into the ground. That's been pretty clear for a while now.
You’re on the right track, I believe. I think you might see Massaro decide to retire around the same time as Stock.

I would figure Blackburn gets promoted and gets to make the new hire.

There are ways to "drop hints" that it's time for a coach to retire. To get his gold watch and hit the links.

Vandy sent Stallings on his way without an actual pink slip. Now he has time to watch his kid play baseball who just won a Gold Glove in MLB baseball. Things can work out for the best.

There are ways to "drop hints" that it's time for a coach to retire. To get his gold watch and hit the links.

Vandy sent Stallings on his way without an actual pink slip. Now he has time to watch his kid play baseball who just won a Gold Glove in MLB baseball. Things can work out for the best.
Not if you're a fan of Middle Tennessee.....

That sounds to me like they want some assurances/up front money from the MAC.

It’s very easy to say you’re staying in CUSA. It would take no statement. It’s something else to say “we’re still waiting.”

Reactions: MTOleBlue
That sounds to me like they want some assurances/up front money from the MAC.

It’s very easy to say you’re staying in CUSA. It would take no statement. It’s something else to say “we’re still waiting.”
Exactly. Nothing stopped him from saying "We're happy where we are" if it was a done deal that we are staying in CUSA no matter what. But clearly things are still being ironed out, and it's still possible that we will move.

(Massaro is working without a contract right now and I have serious doubts he has the power to extend any contracts. If he did he would have one for himself.)
If he is extended, you could use that to change the buyout and add other incentives in.

Reactions: C-Bow
If he is extended, you could use that to change the buyout and add other incentives in.
My understanding is because there is no contract, there is no buyout. McPhee could tell him to stop coming to work any time he wanted.

Exactly what Michigan did last year and Nebraska just did. Extend but rework it for reduced buyout, force staff changes, and give it one more year. If it doesn't work out, you just saved yourself millions. Or it does work out and you wind up in top 10 like Michigan.

Oh PLEASE - someone go follow McPhee around until you can get in his ear. Now is the time to split from Massaro. It's our small window of opportunity.

Under normal circumstances, I might think solid leaders were trying to negotiate a good deal for the benefit of their university. With this bunch of "leaders," I have no idea what they are doing.

Should we expect a press release or press conference once this cluster-f--k is over and if we stay in C-USA will the administration go on as if the biggest turmoil among fans never happened?

Should we expect a press release or press conference once this cluster-f--k is over and if we stay in C-USA will the administration go on as if the biggest turmoil among fans never happened?
You might get a statement on social media, but that is it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT