ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Watching MT game on TV Right Now

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
Blue Raiders up big vs North Texas in the 3rd Qtr 34-7. ASN running a replay of this past football season's Nov 21st game on one of the sub-channels from ch 58 I think.

I, for one, am glad that Sinclair Broadcasting is giving this American Sports Network a try. The endeavor seems to have key pieces in place to have a shot at making a go of the network over the coming years. They provide a lot of coverage for C-USA sports in addition to some other decent non-power 5 conferences. Granted, the vast majority of the games aren't exactly games that national audiences are clamoring to watch. Still good coverage for games of regional interest and conference interest. I know there are plenty of times I have watched non-MT C-USA games on ASN that I would otherwise have not seen. With SInclair having numerous stations around the country with sub-channels available for exploitation on many of those stations, they seem to have some potential with those resources.

It will likely take a few teams and a conference to have good sustained success to really help ASN grow or sustain over a longer period of time. Games with crowded stadiums that are of consequence regionally or further just might add a little viewership. In an age of cord cutting and decreasing capital available for lucrative conference rights, a fledgling hungry sports network just might be a good match for some growth with some creative approaches to media.

Digital Rights would seem to be a key area to be exploited particularly with C-USA. Widespread coverage of Digital content is already being achieved by many conferences while C-USA is a mess. Maybe the current media rights being hammered out by C-USA will include some good solutions for the conference. Conferences with ESPN get widespread access through ESPN3. CBS Sports is opening up through their online live sports content. I sure hope C-USA gets some sort of widespread and cohesive online game coverage hammered out. For the last couple of years, most OVC basketball games can be found live online through ESPN3 and/or ovcsports. It's easy to access. In C-USA, there is no unifying organization to access live games online. Pay separate schools. Some are free. Some must be through C-USA for $15/month. There's just nothing that makes much sense. As a MT fan and accordingly a C-USA fan now, I like to be able to see relevant conference games on any given week. I hope C-USA organizes and catches up with most other conferences in this regard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT