ADVERTISEMENT

Wal-Mart

BlueRaiderFan

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2003
Raising their wages for their employees and won't even be increasing prices...WHAT?!?!? YOU MEAN THAT AN INCREASE IN WAGES DOESN'T ALWAYS INCREASE THE COST OF GOODS AND SERVICES?!?!?! HOW CAN THIS BE!!!???

Them paying more isn't about keeping costs down. I swear BRF, you make yourself look silly.

Only 6000 of they 1.2 million workers make min wage.
Their average hourly pay is almost $13 now
Their average part time pay is already $10 now

They are doing this to reduce turnover - in other words, for business reasons. Not because you your lefty friends think they need to pay a "fair" wage.

Not sure where your getting your numbers but walmart rep on Morning Joe this morning said it that it would affect 500k that are currently making below $9. an hour. $9 an hour is still not enough to live on which means we taxpayers will keep subsidizing their payroll, but its a start. BRF is correct that they said it would not effect prices. So that line of fear politics was weakened. They also aren't laying people off to pay for it either so down goes another line of fear politics.I expect McD's is not far behind as the two companies have become the face of what is wrong with wages in America. This was a business decision but not in regards to turnover. They know the wage issue is gaining momentum particularly as the economy improves. This was like a school self imposing a penalty in hopes the NCAA doesn't come in and levy a bigger one. $9 is better than the $10.10 or higher that will get passed if they and companies like them dont get out in front of it. I hate to tell them though, $9 is not going to stop the pitchforks and torches from coming.

Originally posted by TeKEraider:

Not sure where your getting your numbers but walmart rep on Morning Joe this morning said it that it would affect 500k that are currently making below $9. an hour. $9 an hour is still not enough to live on which means we taxpayers will keep subsidizing their payroll, but its a start. BRF is correct that they said it would not effect prices. So that line of fear politics was weakened. They also aren't laying people off to pay for it either so down goes another line of fear politics.I expect McD's is not far behind as the two companies have become the face of what is wrong with wages in America. This was a business decision but not in regards to turnover. They know the wage issue is gaining momentum particularly as the economy improves. This was like a school self imposing a penalty in hopes the NCAA doesn't come in and levy a bigger one. $9 is better than the $10.10 or higher that will get passed if they and companies like them dont get out in front of it. I hate to tell them though, $9 is not going to stop the pitchforks and torches from coming.
TiKEraider, while we may not agree politically - I know your a smart guy. Please put your thinking cap on.

My point in pointing out the 6000, is that Walmart(who is demonized by people lefties) starts out the majority of employees ABOVE min wage. The min wage is what Obama been trying to raise to some mythological figure called a living wage. Walmart doesn't fit the narrative based on the fact that just a few of their employees are paid at min wage.

We can agree on the bolded part.

500k are getting raises of more than $1 an hour and prices aren't increasing...THAT is the point and no it doesn't make me look silly for pointing it out.

If a company wants to pay its employees more then they can. It doesn't matter why or how much they want to pay people. The government should not be in the business of telling PRIVATE companies how much to pay their employees. Sorry if i don't feel bad for people who work minimum wage jobs. Hell i did and didn't demand that they pay me more than what i was worth. When i didn't want to stay where i was, i found a way to make more money. Not demand my work pay me more.

So tired of hearing about this debate.

Originally posted by BlueRaiderFan:
500k are getting raises of more than $1 an hour and prices aren't increasing...THAT is the point and no it doesn't make me look silly for pointing it out.
Only this will not be enough, and if Walmart is forced to raise wages to some govt determined living wage then prices will rise.

Sorry for the silly comment, but I just knew you were gonna start this tread. Love ya BRF!

Mike,
You are jokingly dodging the point. The truth is that many US companies could pay more without increasing prices and still have enough left over to grow. Powerful people that don't want you to believe this, so that they can get their way and keep more money, have created news and radio outlets who's talking heads would have you believe otherwise. I do agree that we can go too far with it but small increases in wages can be absorped by most companies without "passing on the cost to consumers every time" As far as this not being enough, I think that there is room for another MW increase. Without increasing prices for several years.

Not only that but even if we raised it more and they chose to pass the cost on to the consumer it would be so tiny that your average consumer would not notice. A UC study a few years back showed that a raise of Wal-Marts wages to
$12 would add about .50 per trip or $12.50 per year per consumer. A smiliar study of Mcdonalds IIRC showed it would raise prices about a nickel a meal. A raise like that would take hundreds of thousands off of subsidies. That's the thing I can't understand. We literally subsidize the payroll of some of our most profitiable companies and supposed conservatives seem to not care.

They've been sold a bag of goods by some very powerful people. They do have some other good points, but generally speaking this isn't one of them.

I think we should all earn exactly the same wage no matter what job we hold, and government should examine our minds as children and determine which career we'd best be suited for and assign us to that job. We should all be exactly the same regardless of individual effort or talent.

It takes a village, damnit.

Your idea, not mine, Todd. A straw man argument. An eigth grade temper tantrum meant to replace the original argument with a ridiculous argument as though they are the same. Up to your same old tricks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT