ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL VCU hires Mike Rhoades

Really interesting hire. Now Rice looks for somebody to finish what Rhoades started.

I hope Rice can find somebody that continue the quality play and seeming improvement that was going on there. Rice appeared to be on the rise and helping C-USA. Hope they can continue that.

I would think VCU could do better than this.

Rhoades was an assistant there for several years so VCU knows him well. I imagine he will work out well based on the turnaround job he began at Rice.

VCU has such great institutional support for basketball that it almost doesn't matter who is coaching. They've had a great run of success under several different coaches, most of which have been hired elsewhere and many of them have not been successful in their new jobs. That tells me VCU's success is due in large part to the school's commitment to the program, not necessarily in any magic dust held by Jeff Capel (fired at Oklahoma), Anthony Grant (fired at Alabama), Shaka Smart (so far disappointing at Texas), or Will Wade (jury is out)

Reactions: MTBig Blue
VCU has such great institutional support for basketball that it almost doesn't matter who is coaching. They've had a great run of success under several different coaches, most of which have been hired elsewhere and many of them have not been successful in their new jobs. That tells me VCU's success is due in large part to the school's commitment to the program, not necessarily in any magic dust held by Jeff Capel (fired at Oklahoma), Anthony Grant (fired at Alabama), Shaka Smart (so far disappointing at Texas), or Will Wade (jury is out)
Same with Butler coaches

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT