ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS update: rotc bldg name change...

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
wkrn:

Process still ongoing to change name of Forrest Hall

excerpt:

... “The law sets forth a fairly clear pathway for these. We’ve made a request to the commission, and the commission now needs to weigh in on that request,” said MTSU spokesman Andrew Oppmann. “We’re looking forward to the opportunity to presenting our recommendation to the commission and look forward to the process.”

A 17-member task force recommended the name change to MTSU president Dr. Sidney McPhee, who approved it. The Tennessee Board of Regents also unanimously recommended the name change, sending it to the state’s historical commission.

“We’ve been told by the Tennessee Historical Commission that they are going to consider our petition at its June meeting, so we’ve been asked to prepare for that,” Oppmann said. “We’re looking forward to the opportunity to presenting our recommendation to the commission and look forward to the process.”

Even if the commission takes up the name change issue at its next meeting, it won’t be a done deal. It will have to hold public meetings to give people for and against their say.

The commission’s executive director, Patrick McIntyre Jr., told News 2 by email, “The initial hearing is limited to deciding ‘which interested entities, groups or individuals should be given written notice’ about a petition for waiver to the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act and to decide if ‘supplemental notice by publication is needed’, prior to a final hearing.”

MTSU now has its own Board of Trustees, and members were given an update on the renaming of Forrest Hall at its inaugural meeting.....

I just can't believe all this is because of the name change. I commissioned out of Forrest Hall when MTSU ROTC's program was top in the country. I don't mind them changing the name, I just wish it was by choice and not to give in to people looking for issues.

I have no special attachment to the name on the building. NBF wasn't an alumnus, nor he did he make any significant contributions to the advancement of the university. I think the smart thing to do would have been for McPhee to find some way to get the state to approve funds for a new military science building and name it for an alum who served.

I agree 100%. They are in one of the older building on campus. It would have been a much smoother transition.

That building is getting the wrecking ball in the campus master plan, anyway...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT