ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL In case anyone was wondering…..

FranklinRaider315

Hall of Famer
Jun 24, 2009
Franklin, TN
From the October, 2021 meeting of the State School Bonding Authority:

”Mr. Mumpower stated that the next item to come before the Authority was the consideration of approval of a project for Middle Tennessee State University ("MTSU"). Mr. Mumpower recognized Mr. Dick Tracy, Executive Director of Facilities Development at the Tennessee Board of Regents ("TBR"), to present the request.
• Middle Tennessee State University - Student Athlete Performance Center (459); Cost of $66,000,000 of which $61,000,000 will be financed by the TSSBA' Tenn of Financing: 30 years as long-term financing at an assumed tax-exempt rate.
Mr. Mumpower asked Ms. Thompson if SGF had conducted a feasibility analysis on the project. Ms. Thompson stated that a feasibility study had been performed and was included in the meeting packet. Ms. Thompson explained that the projected revenues were sufficient to cover the debt service on the project. Mr. Mumpower asked Mr. Tracy in light of the COVID-19 pandemic if MTSU or TBR had considered what effects another virtual learning situation would have on the project. Mr. Tracy stated that TBR has discussed the potential of another pandemic with MTSU. Mr. Tracy explained that in such an event the project would have a balance set aside in renewal and replacement reserve funds ("R&R"), and that the fees would be assessed even if students were learning remotely.
Mr. Mumpower asked if there were any further questions or discussion. Hearing none, Mr. Hargett made a motion to approve the project, Mr. Lillard recorded the motion, and Ms. Thompson called the roll:”

In a nutshell, floating new bonds to finance over 92% of this $66,000,000 project (as presented) is dependent on student activity fees and the ability to adjust/raise them while assuming enrollment remains at or above current levels. And for those of you who still believe our BOT is not dependent on the TBOR? Mr. Dick Tracy, Exec Director of Facilities for the TBOR presented the request for approval. I have found him to be very approachable for any questions if any of our crack journalists want to know how the project is (or will be) funded and how it was presented to him for approval. He was very helpful in answering my questions and concerns regarding all the years of delays getting the Football IPF completed in Memphis.

LINK:
State School Bonding Authority minutes

Last edited:
I thought that if we stayed in CUSA with Jacksonville State and New Mexico Whatever, we'd at least get a free facility out of it.

Now, not only are the students footing the bill for this, they get to pay it whether or not they ever step foot on campus.

We're did all this exit/entry fee windfall go?

I thought that if we stayed in CUSA with Jacksonville State and New Mexico Whatever, we'd at least get a free facility out of it.

Now, not only are the students footing the bill for this, they get to pay it whether or not they ever step foot on campus.

When Memphis was submitting and filing their Pro Formas and Revenue Projections in their initial IPF project Requests for Funding, a large portion of the incremental revenue was based on annual AAC payouts to members. You have raised a good question. I’ll dig some more.

LINK:
Proposed Sources of Funds

Student Fees - Debt Service: $1,700,000 annual
Student Fees - Athletic Capital Fee: $1,500,000 annual
Capital Campaign - Gifts: $1,061,000 annual

Nothing mentioned about any CUSA annual payments or Exit Fee Windfall

Last edited:
Layman's term- students will foot the bill because we don't have many donations, especially large donor's. Enrollment will decline the next 5 years.
This will be a disaster. Typical government shell game.

I think you know it doesn’t work like that. Nothing has actually been forfeited yet financially by departing schools because - you know - all schools are still here and the seasons aren’t over yet. I don’t know exactly when distributions are paid out to members but the fiscal year for C-USA ends in June so those increased revenues will be paid sometime thereafter.

I think you know it doesn’t work like that. Nothing has actually been forfeited yet financially by departing schools because - you know - all schools are still here and the seasons aren’t over yet. I don’t know exactly when distributions are paid out to members but the fiscal year for C-USA ends in June so those increased revenues will be paid sometime thereafter.
I know you are very knowledgeable in these matters but I will be shocked if the payout number is significant (even by CUSA standards). And FWIW, I hope you are correct. 👍

You're right, I don't know the exact inner workings. I'm not sure anyone here does.

But let's face it - the optics of remaining in CUSA and then the quick announcement of the upgraded facilities was designed to tie to the two together.

This reads like the students are footing the bill for it. Maybe in the future we'll get some money moving around it won't be as it appears in this release. But I'm not sure how you can be so confident in it.

Like I said before in our many discussions on it - the financial terms involved in staying in CUSA vs the MAC were only real if they used it to real effect. My position was that any financial benefits to staying in CUSA would never be realized - they would evaporate like vapor into random operating funds, someone's pet projects, etc and provide no real benefit. Yet here we are, the much-needed facility upgrade financed by student fees, which could have been raised regardless of conference.

I know you feel differently, and maybe 8 months from know we see something to change this, but I continue to have zero confidence in this administration handling this properly, and investing in the program properly. This news doesn't do anything to move me off that position.

Reactions: Hop45
So what happened to the whole "we have xx% already" thing?

Just checked and Build Blue has raised 10.6m.

You're right, I don't know the exact inner workings. I'm not sure anyone here does.

But let's face it - the optics of remaining in CUSA and then the quick announcement of the upgraded facilities was designed to tie to the two together.

This reads like the students are footing the bill for it. Maybe in the future we'll get some money moving around it won't be as it appears in this release. But I'm not sure how you can be so confident in it.

Like I said before in our many discussions on it - the financial terms involved in staying in CUSA vs the MAC were only real if they used it to real effect. My position was that any financial benefits to staying in CUSA would never be realized - they would evaporate like vapor into random operating funds, someone's pet projects, etc and provide no real benefit. Yet here we are, the much-needed facility upgrade financed by student fees, which could have been raised regardless of conference.

I know you feel differently, and maybe 8 months from know we see something to change this, but I continue to have zero confidence in this administration handling this properly, and investing in the program properly. This news doesn't do anything to move me off that position.
I think we’ve all know for a while the “funds raised” was almost all based on student athletic fee.

If I were going to make a guess - and it’s purely a guess - any additional revenue from departing schools over what we would have otherwise expected may go to replenish the BRAA since we know there’s not a lot being raised there either.

If I were in student government, I would do something about the fees. Good grief students get F’d these days.

If they returned a profit or a return I could see value. I don’t need a 18-22 year old or their parents to fund my interests.

If I were in student government, I would do something about the fees. Good grief students get F’d these days.

If they returned a profit or a return I could see value. I don’t need a 18-22 year old or their parents to fund my interests.
I wonder if the Athletic Dept. pays for our Football Staff to attend the AFCA convention in San Antonio this week? Or do they pay for this out of their own pocket? A Bahamas trip on top of that is not bad for a .500 regular season. Just sayin’.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
$240 a semester for any fulltime student. If I saw our student sections packed or a return on championships, I would be less critical but this is insane.

https://www.mtsu.edu/tuition/forms/21-22ProgramServFee.pdf

What the heck is a student debt service fee.
Refer to my previous post from Sunday. That $204 a semester debt service fee was noted in the sources of funds projected to help pay for the bond issuance or, approximately $1.7 MM annually in addition to the $240 a semester Athletics fee. $444 a semester in fees to go towards the bond issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Refer to my previous post from Sunday. That $204 a semester debt service fee was noted in the sources of funds projected to help pay for the bond issuance or, approximately $1.7 MM annually in addition to the $240 a semester Athletics fee. $444 a semester in fees to go towards the bond issue.
Honestly that's peanuts compared to the overall semester fee. Im just glad Im not in college anymore...

It’s not peanuts when 47% of almost a grand of tuition fees goes to this.

Thanks for the explanation FR.
Again, if there were actual results then maybe.
WKU has lesser student fees and they have done a better job with the sports that actually move the needle.

It’s not peanuts when 47% of almost a grand of tuition fees goes to this.

Thanks for the explanation FR.
Again, if there were actual results then maybe.
WKU has lesser student fees and they have done a better job with the sports that actually move the needle.
You’re welcome and I agree. These two line items ($888 annually) on the semester fee schedule are a unilateral action from Cope to what amounts to making every full-time student a Loyal Raider giving level BRAA donor. Right now, the admission price to a Football and Men’s BB game has a face value on the street for the average walk up ticket buyer of around $40 (assuming that someone didn’t leave them free tickets on their car windshield.) 😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT