ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL TSU coach Dana Ford

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Gotta be the most laid back coach I have ever seen at any level, but: His players play with discipline and play together very well. It is amazing to watch a coach who sits on the bench 99% of the time and just watches the game.

As young as he is he is destined for stardom - and his team will be so good this year that this loss will not hurt MT at all.

Regardless, as a MT fan I hate it when we don't do all we can to prove we are the best team in the mid-state. Lost that chance this year.

I know I was fairly disgusted at thought of losing to TSU. A few further thoughts:

After about 10 tries, TSU was bound to get 1 win. It's pretty hard to get down on the team or coach Kermit for beating them 9 out of 10 times or 10 out 11, whatever the case may be.

It did look like TSU has been building their team to where this just may be a big season for them. I imagine it will be difficult for them to hold on to their coach if he continues to have success this season.

For the first time in this early season, an opponent applied enough defensive pressure vs the Blue Raiders to expose the weakness of MT trying to integrate a bunch of new players into playing in Kermit's system on a game after game basis. Clearly, this season's new team has not formed yet into Kermit's system. Hopefully, this Nashville tourney will provide the type of situation that Kermit can use to help bring the young players into the grind of winning Kermit ball.

Refs aren't the reason to blame for a loss, but the young MT found it too difficult to overcome when the refs were calling the game way too tight. Unfortunately, it was on the same night Kermit set the lineup real big to impose some size and physicalness on the opponent. With all the early fouls in those first 10 mins or so on all the big guys, it seemed MT never recovered from that the rest of the game.

Towards the end of the game, it looked pretty clear that MT was a group of 5 individual players trying to get a win instead of a team of 5 pulling together to win. A win in the type of game that Kermit typically pulls out a win, a grinding defensive physical game.

Again, it's real hard to blame Kermit for the TSU game. I just hate it came against a local team especially a local ovc team.

Gotta be the most laid back coach I have ever seen at any level, but: His players play with discipline and play together very well. It is amazing to watch a coach who sits on the bench 99% of the time and just watches the game.

As young as he is he is destined for stardom - and his team will be so good this year that this loss will not hurt MT at all.

Regardless, as a MT fan I hate it when we don't do all we can to prove we are the best team in the mid-state. Lost that chance this year.
That's the Wooden approach to the game. Wooden (so far as I know) didn't go crazy every trip down the floor. Instead, trusted his players to play the game and served as the "rock" for the players during ups and downs of the game

Davis gotta be who he is - In the past I have been frustrated (at times to the point of anger) at his sideline antics: yanking players after mistakes, quick timeouts, marching up and down, hitching up his pants, etc.

Funny how once he started winning big during the last 5 years I have come to see his coaching style as acceptable, but not quite appealing.

Davis gotta be who he is - In the past I have been frustrated (at times to the point of anger) at his sideline antics: yanking players after mistakes, quick timeouts, marching up and down, hitching up his pants, etc.

Funny how once he started winning big during the last 5 years I have come to see his coaching style as acceptable, but not quite appealing.

I think time has shown that Kermit has to find players who can play for such an "old school" coach. Some people thrive under that type of coaching. At least with all the recent success, players can have confidence that the toughness and discipline, if followed, will lead to good success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT