ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Trustees to Vote on Proposed Tuition and Fee Hike

And there it is.

...Athletics Fee: A $35 increase is needed for salary and benefit increases, inflationary operational costs, changes in NCAA regulations, and decreased game guarantee amounts....

Our $40m in revenue for 2022 had $8.4m in student fees. We have around 17k full time so that's another $595k each year just from undergrads. Covers the settlement holdback and would push student fees to over 20% of our revenue.

...decreased game guarantee amounts. Guessing a combo of only doing one $ game a year (as we should) and likelihood of less P4 games being available due to their conference expansions.

Reactions: ewglenn
And there it is.

...Athletics Fee: A $35 increase is needed for salary and benefit increases, inflationary operational costs, changes in NCAA regulations, and decreased game guarantee amounts....

Our $40m in revenue for 2022 had $8.4m in student fees. We have around 17k full time so that's another $595k each year just from undergrads. Covers the settlement holdback and would push student fees to over 20% of our revenue.

...decreased game guarantee amounts. Guessing a combo of only doing one $ game a year (as we should) and likelihood of less P4 games being available due to their conference expansions.
It hasn't helped that under the current 'leadership' our enrollment has at best stagnated if not slid/dropped in the last decade.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
And there it is.

I also found the guarantee amount interesting. We should only do 1 P4 game per year. I think it’s smart but I would guess they are expecting less frequent games to present themselves. I know we’ve been more selective in admissions but we need to also work to grow enrollment. That would help offset some of these issues.

If I were a student interested in politics, I know what platform I would run on. Decrease the fee.
Honestly we are low or about even from what I've found. Full-time students pay of course and I've seen several schools say part-time are pro-rated, so the below doesn't include all students.

Undergrad full-time with fee revenue/avg fee per year.

USF 38k $17m $447
Charlotte 24k $25m $1041
App St 17k $14m $823 (listed at $391/semester)
MT 17k $8m $470 (listed at $240/semester)
Memphis 16k $8m $500
UAB 13k $7m $538
S Miss 10k $10m $1000

I know we’ve been more selective in admissions but we need to also work to grow enrollment. That would help offset some of these issues.

What is our mission? To bring education to the diverse population of middle TN and beyond (enrollment numbers up, but typically admissions standards drop a bit) or are we a selective academic institution (selectively increases but enrollment typically drops).

If our admissions standards have not increased much then stagnant or decreasing enrollment is a bad sign.

What is our mission? To bring education to the diverse population of middle TN and beyond (enrollment numbers up, but typically admissions standards drop a bit) or are we a selective academic institution (selectively increases but enrollment typically drops).

If our admissions standards have not increased much then stagnant or decreasing enrollment is a bad sign.
I know admissions standards have increased but I personally feel like we need to worry about more increasing enrollment than being selective.

Our enrollment is fine. Also, our leadership has done a lot for our University. MTSU is leading in many areas.
Which areas exactly? Music and aviation are leaders but those have been long established. Business is respectable but nothing “leading” compared to our peers. I’d like to see you elaborate on that statement a bit.

Which areas exactly? Music and aviation are leaders but those have been long established. Business is respectable but nothing “leading” compared to our peers. I’d like to see you elaborate on that statement a bit.

This person is a sunshine pumper that likes to tell us how negative we are, but for some reason still reads this board, likes to come on here from time to time to defend M&M and bashed the thought of Liberty being in this conference.

How anyone could think highly of Seven Wood is beyond me, but Little Middle folks are still around. Makes me wonder if JB’s last name is Baker.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
In 2011, only 13 years ago Middle Tennessee had a record enrollment of approximately 26,400 students. Only 13 years later in 2024 our enrollment is down to approximately 17,400. By my count that's about a 35% drop in enrollment. What the heck is positive & ok about that?
I know there are major outside factors such as inflation & the community College pricing restructure which have affected enrollment, but at least reduce some of the restrictions & get this campus' enrollment back over 20,000.

In 2011, only 13 years ago Middle Tennessee had a record enrollment of approximately 26,400 students. Only 13 years later in 2024 our enrollment is down to approximately 17,400. By my count that's about a 35% drop in enrollment. What the heck is positive & ok about that?
I know there are major outside factors such as inflation & the community College pricing restructure which have affected enrollment, but at least reduce some of the restrictions & get this campus' enrollment back over 20,000.
I wonder if higher education enrollment at 4-year universities are down in general? The horror stories of student loans are all over so I wonder if high school students don’t want any part of it? With tuition sky-rocketing, I do think it’s absolutely ridiculous to allow 18-22 year olds, who don’t fully understand what they are signing up for, to essentially take on a mortgage before starting a career. I was lucky and the hope scholarship almost paid my tuition each semester, but I’m 2 decades from when I started so I’m not sure it’s still the same?

I wonder if higher education enrollment at 4-year universities are down in general? The horror stories of student loans are all over so I wonder if high school students don’t want any part of it? With tuition sky-rocketing, I do think it’s absolutely ridiculous to allow 18-22 year olds, who don’t fully understand what they are signing up for, to essentially take on a mortgage before starting a career. I was lucky and the hope scholarship almost paid my tuition each semester, but I’m 2 decades from when I started so I’m not sure it’s still the same?
Good point. Similar issues came up in the past, & I posted that in 1980 (when I started at MT) tuition was only around $300-$350 a semester. If you wanted a liberal arts degree back then so be it, but in these days & times you better make it worth it. (One of the reasons to be so disappointed about the law school.) That's a huge amount of money for a degree in which there's no job awaiting you. Yes I imagine enrollment is down at many institutions. I understand TCAT enrollment is up due to real world applications. Which includes numerous opportunities for decent paying job placements right out of school. Plus the enrollment time period for a certification is tremendously reduced. Not to mention the difference in personal investment cost.
With today's enrollment expenses If I was a kid now & wanted a 4 year degree I would probably 1st get my associates at Motlow then enroll at MT for my junior & senior years.

Enrollment is down everywhere, but with the right programs we can grow. Concrete Mgmt is a great start and should continue to be built in to a full fledged Engineering program.

Law school was a huge failure on McP's part. I think more should be done with Meharry as well to create more medical/rx programs.

Also, online. We have significantly improved but certificates are a huge thing right now. Project Mgmt, Accounting, Tableau, etc. While that wouldn't help enrollment, it would help revenue.

The decline in enrollment is a concern, and as MidTennMtneer indicated, MTSU is still behind with regards to online education. Like it or hate it, online education / online degrees aren't going anywhere. And MT has mostly dropped the ball when it comes to "non-traditional" learners that need the "online degrees."

I'd love to know the "WHY" behind the drop in enrollment. It's possible the changes to higher ed funding under Haslem (emphasizing outcomes, rather than headcount, as I understand the law) may be affecting it. Could be other factors. Lots of reasons.

A literal McFee.

Education is becoming a huge option. As in. You don’t need a four year degree.

We have every amount of information at our fingertips.

It’s an old system that, past the liberal arts, doesn’t contribute much.

A lot of wasted time and unnecessary classes in a huge financial commitment.

My view on university has dramatically shifted in the last 20 years. Credentialism is a terrible measure and needs be reevaluated in the modern world. In fact, I look at those with multiple degrees with a high degree of suspicion. Get out and do something.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
A literal McFee.

Education is becoming a huge option. As in. You don’t need a four year degree.

We have every amount of information at our fingertips.

It’s an old system that, past the liberal arts, doesn’t contribute much.

A lot of wasted time and unnecessary classes in a huge financial commitment.

My view on university has dramatically shifted in the last 20 years. Credentialism is a terrible measure and needs be reevaluated in the modern world. In fact, I look at those with multiple degrees with a high degree of suspicion. Get out and do something.
I've started that view.

I'm starting my Master's in Jan but only because I need to be a Certified Fraud Examiner to move up to the roll I want in my company. So there are reasons for it, but not like there used to be.

My son-in-law has his Associates in Engineering and has an amazing job with the electric company. I have a friend that simply went to VoTech and makes bank doing HVAC. Another welding.

College isn't the requirement it used to be unless you are doing something of a professional nature. It's why I think it is even more important for MT to have those things. Engineering, Pharmacy, Optometry, Accounting, and of course the ball dropped law school. Make those the focus over Fermentation Science, etc. The investment in Aerospace has done wonders for the school. There are other things like that out there we should go after.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I will say I would not be where I am today without a degree. I’ve watched a lot of the construction world shift to needing a college degree of some sort. I’m only 32 but it has changed drastically in my career.

You’ll no longer see a project manager without a degree moving up in the company. Most of the new superintendents have a degree. Sales, ops, and even my admins both have at least an associates degree. While it isn’t “required” without it you’re highly likely to get passed over.

Can you make it in the trades? Absolutely! I’ve got an HVAC tech on staff making a lot, carpenters are doing very well, plumber doing well and same with a welder. It’s just hard work and takes a toll.

I don’t buy the idea that a college degree is worthless because I can say definitively it would be almost impossible to work in an office capacity with the companies I’ve worked for without it. I would say it maybe doesn’t give you the competitive advantage it use to but you’ll not even be in the race without it now days.

Good point. Similar issues came up in the past, & I posted that in 1980 (when I started at MT) tuition was only around $300-$350 a semester. If you wanted a liberal arts degree back then so be it, but in these days & times you better make it worth it. (One of the reasons to be so disappointed about the law school.) That's a huge amount of money for a degree in which there's no job awaiting you. Yes I imagine enrollment is down at many institutions. I understand TCAT enrollment is up due to real world applications. Which includes numerous opportunities for decent paying job placements right out of school. Plus the enrollment time period for a certification is tremendously reduced. Not to mention the difference in personal investment cost.
With today's enrollment expenses If I was a kid now & wanted a 4 year degree I would probably 1st get my associates at Motlow then enroll at MT for my junior & senior years.
My kids graduated high school in 2020 and 2023, many of their friends took that route of Motlow and then transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT