ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Troy and South Bama

blueraiderJT

Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2006
I gotta be real honest. I miss the Sun Belt. I think what they are still doing (playing on Tuesdays) is a smart move. CUSA not doing it is stupid. This game is the only one on ESPN. It's been a fun environment with an active student fanbase from both schools. It's been more hyped than any CUSA game I've seen this year with the exception of ODU beating VaTech.

Another Fun Belt game will be on Thursday night. So smart.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
I actually do think we should be playing on any day that would give us more prime time coverage. So Tuesday, Weds, Thurs or Friday. Still would be plenty of games on Saturdays, but I think we should have about 3 or our 12 games on alternative days. This could be done giving your team 2 or 3 10 day gaps over the long season between games versus just the bye week.

I am not sure its about the teams, but we need to be different than the P5 conferences when we can.

I actually do think we should be playing on any day that would give us more prime time coverage. So Tuesday, Weds, Thurs or Friday. Still would be plenty of games on Saturdays, but I think we should have about 3 or our 12 games on alternative days. This could be done giving your team 2 or 3 10 day gaps over the long season between games versus just the bye week.

I am not sure its about the teams, but we need to be different than the P5 conferences when we can.

It just makes sense. Going up against the SEC game of the week just isn't feasible.

Tuesday, Thursday games make sense at our level. Not all the time, but once/twice a year. And stay away from those 2:30 saturday kickoffs.

I would take them any day over Judy.

I've been a Blue Raider for fifteen years and there has never been a time that we did not blame the conference commissioner.

I've come to the opinion that being a G5 conference commissioner just isn't all that appealing of a job and many fans likely believe the commissioner's actual impact and influence is far greater than it is in reality.

I've been a Blue Raider for fifteen years and there has never been a time that we did not blame the conference commissioner.

I've come to the opinion that being a G5 conference commissioner just isn't all that appealing of a job and many fans likely believe the commissioner's actual impact and influence is far greater than it is in reality.
Mike Aresco begs to differ.

I gotta be real honest. I miss the Sun Belt. I think what they are still doing (playing on Tuesdays) is a smart move. CUSA not doing it is stupid. This game is the only one on ESPN. It's been a fun environment with an active student fanbase from both schools. It's been more hyped than any CUSA game I've seen this year with the exception of ODU beating VaTech.

CUSA has no identity. By not having a ESPN/FSN TV we are marginalized even more than being in a G5 conference in the same division as SEC teams.

I know a lot of people would disagree, but if we can’t do better than where we are in the next few years, I’d rather us be in FCS in the OVC or Southern conferences.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Mike Aresco begs to differ.

Obviously the MWC and AAC are more appealing than CUSA, SBC or MAC.

But my original point remains.

I really don't think Wright Waters, or Karl Benson, or Judy MacLeod has held us back nearly as much as people here and the SBC/CUSA boards have bitched about them.

I really don't think Wright Waters, or Karl Benson, or Judy MacLeod has held us back nearly as much as people here and the SBC/CUSA boards have bitched about them.
It has been my understanding that the conference commissioner is nothing more than the collective mouth piece of the school presidents.

It has been my understanding that the conference commissioner is nothing more than the collective mouth piece of the school presidents.

It's just funny to me that we can see the apathy in our own fanbase, so many people here lament the Florida schools and their lack of support, we'll jump on any chance to knock Western when they have empty seats.

The only schools west of the Mississippi that we have much of anything in common with is UNT and that's based on a bit more than a decade of annual games, something that's not even happening anymore.

And yet it's somehow Judy's fault that we can't land a better TV deal?

If you say so...

What kind of number did it pull? I didn’t know it was on.

Frankly, I’ve been disappointed since our move to C-USA and not really sure if it is any better than the Sun Belt now approaching six years later since move in big picture. The good is periodic matchups with Marshall, UAB, Southern Miss, and Louisiana Tech versus SBC newbies in football we would have endured had we stayed behind. It’s six and one-half dozen the other in most other aspects related to conference affiliation.

Unfortunately, Basketball hasn’t generated significantly better national cachet other than what we did for ourselves by being briefly ranked last season and making/winning in NCAA’s couple seasons earlier. C-USA membership didn’t gain enough credibility to be at large with our two late season losses to Marshall and USM. We are still one bid league as Tournament Champion and basically endured same postseason fate Murray State did a few years ago in OVC after winning 25 consecutive and ranked, which caused Steve Prohm to seek greener pastures (and $$) at Iowa State. Kermit got a similar type of reward at Mississippi.

For visibility, think C-USA has taken at least one step in the wrong direction in television, and that’s also been well documented from revenue cuts from last year. MT compounded this by reducing its radio footprint with the loss of 89.5, a 100,000 watt FM signal. Yes, streaming works, but it not as convenient for many car radios as pushing your favorite preset button. Maybe this media deal works out in the end...or maybe not. But, the dwindling fan base was on display at Homecoming and other games to where visibility and fan engagement is reaching critical mass to where one asks does the student body and community care anymore when MT plays anyone from conference or G5? Are we going UAB route did in football and would the fans respond likewise? I’m not so sure it would work out for us in dropping and coming back if it ever got to that scenario; I see an Idaho FCS type of answer if it reached that scenario in the football calculus. A football loss on November 24 would certainly hurt in more ways than one, but then again most fans would just put it in the rear view mirror provided that they cared in the first place.

It’s a go big or go home mentality that exists these days. The conference office and university leadership is rather slow to recognize and respond because we are trying to bake a different flavor cake with the same ingredients or sometimes we reduce an egg to optimize cost without consideration of the long term consequences of our decisions to the fan base. Trying something might catch on, such as Troy and South Alabama and Tuesday’s, but the cake ingredients are largely the same. The product must genuinely improve to obtain more repeat and loyal customers that fill the stands whenever we play.

Last edited:
With the popularity of High School Football in the CUSA footprint, I have no idea why they think Friday Night Games are a good idea. Attendance seems to be piss poor, not sure how the TV ratings are, that seems to be the most important thing right now to CUSA.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
CUSA football has been really bad since we joined and it is a one bid league in basketball.

I wish there was a reset button to reorganize teams.

The TV deal seems terrible and Judy and that office is responsible for that.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT