ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Tournament to expand?

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
Transformational committee releases its report today. Lots of info (like refusing to fix NIL and saying "only Congress" can fix it). But here is the biggest nugget.

Not in support of this at all.

I'm all for it. Its more of what we sports fans love.

Same goes for bowl games. Why people whine over more OOC games with great match ups is beyond me.

Reactions: Hop45 and ewglenn
This might be a great thing for good teams in mid level conferences. I think a 22-8 MT teams gets an invite over a 15-15 Vandy teams even if we don’t win our conference. I would argue that it would be easier to win 22 in our league than it would be to get to 15 wins in the SEC? We would need to make sure we are playing other top 100 teams in our pre conference schedule.

I'm all for it. Its more of what we sports fans love.

Same goes for bowl games. Why people whine over more OOC games with great match ups is beyond me.
While I get that view, I see it differently.

I think there are too many bowls. Bowl eligibility should start at 7-5 to me. Regular season should matter. Most teams can fill 6 wins. We are proof of that.

Same for basketball. To me allowing .500 or so teams in will make the regular season mean less. Tournaments won't mean as much because a team can lose and still get in. (For the current 1 bid leagues anyway). I get the giving us at 22-8 a bid is nice if we lose champ, but I dare say they will just fill it with more big schools. You'll still see a 18-12 Rutgers or a 16-14 Iowa State over a 20-10 Sam Houston for example.

It'll also kill the NIT. Lower tournaments not a whole lot of people will miss. But the NIT is a respectable tournament and awards the reg season Champs.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT