ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Tidbits on Louisiana Tech game...

MTsumner92

All American
Jul 31, 2005
Hendersonville
First half...It seemed that our players were still not in sync with the Franklin system. Too many missed assignments and dropped passes. Our defense seemed to play soft on some of their receivers and our linebackers were struggling on their coverage. I thought my head was going to pop off when Stock decided to go for it on 4th and 10 with over a minute to go in the half. It may have been overconfidence, panic, or just plain stupidity, but the bottom line is the percentages of making that play with the offensive first half that we had were low and if we didn't make it then the percentage change they would get some points out of it were high. This was a bad call all around and Stock is too seasoned to make a call like that. It ended in a touchdown for the other team. Halftime was bleak.

Second half....I don't know what happened at half time but all of the sudden it seemed like the light came on for Brent. He started rolling with it, understanding his presence in the pocket better, receivers catching it more consistently, and Mathers being a major threat to take it to the house. Our OL was blocking beautifully and everything fell into place. We rolled!!! Our defense started covering better. Our LB's started covering tighter and being more consistent. We bent but didn't break. Our corners locked down and we prevented the big play. Minter played big and am glad we have him for another year.

It was the best win since Marshall. The best is yet to come. This Saturday is the perfect opportunity for MT to be the same ole MT and lay a serious egg on the field. We have a team with senior laden lines of scrimmage so I don't think they will allow the egg to be laid and we take care of business.

We are 3-1 and it feels good. Go Blue Raiders!!

Franklin came down and called plays on the field in the second half instead of from the box. Did the same at BG because their head sets malfunctioned.

Even tho we were down, so many things seemed to go LT way...their first TD should have been a big loss.

Brent and the WR's were not on the same page...still don't know why our CB, especially Minter play so far off the ball - surely they are coached to do this.

My point is, I have seen us play enough to know, that even at 27-7 it wasn't over.

In the first 4 games we have seen it all - hopefully we can start faster next week.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
Even tho we were down, so many things seemed to go LT way...their first TD should have been a big loss.

Brent and the WR's were not on the same page...still don't know why our CB, especially Minter play so far off the ball - surely they are coached to do this.

My point is, I have seen us play enough to know, that even at 27-7 it wasn't over.

In the first 4 games we have seen it all - hopefully we can start faster next week.
The way our corners play the ball is insane, but after really paying attention to the game we only have one corner with the speed and hip turn to play man and that's Cutrer. Whenever we blitzed or went into zero coverage we got torched. The defensive play calling was ok we just don't have the athleticism at that spot like we did the year we went to the New Orleans bowl game.

Last edited:
While there has been somewhat of a learning curve early in the season for Brent, I think these young WRs are still learning and adjusting. I think a lot of the poor passing plays and out of sync feel is young WRs not necessarily in the right place or running routes properly. It seems they are learning and improving on the job. Just some rough spots along the way.

Going into this game, I was thinking LaTech looked to be one of MT's toughest conference opponents this season. LaTech showed it on the field. They are probably one of the best 1-3 teams out there. I suspect their record will improve as this season moves along.

Two things with James, young learning other WRs are not taking heat off of James making doubly hard to perform at the top level. The other thing, I think Vanderbilt defense exposed something everyone has taken advantage of in that they are targeting him for incredibly physical play. James smaller frame appears to struggle battling that physical play. Again, opponents can put that extra focus on James until the other WRs grow into consistent threats that defenses will have give lots of attention to. Ty Lee just might be one of those guys.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
The size of our guys are hurting us at the WR spot. LT was jamming our guys taking the passing game out of rythem.

They will get better

It's not about taking heat off of James. They are double teaming him and that won't change. Nor should it. Guys like Ty Lee are getting important reps.

We still threw for 359 yards. It's not like we aren't getting production. Ty Lee and Dennis Andrews have showed massive heart. That over the shoulder throw wheel route to Andrews has been there all season and multiple teams have now proven that they can't stop it. I've now seen that play called like 10 times and when the D stacks up for James, Andrews just flies down the sideline open. TF is pretty awesome. At the same time, Smith is becoming more reliable but he still is having drops. We will get better there. Ricky Blair has the size that TF likes to use. Now he needs the hands.

Trent Taylor for LT is only 5'8. Desmond Gee was only 5'7 ish. That one WR for North Carolina is about that size and all of these guys are burners and produce. It's all about body positioning and discipline in the route. That's the hardest to learn and implement.

When we shifted to more of our running game we made the momentum turn.
Our line took control of their "D" line and made running lanes for Mathers and he ran like a beast!

CJ Windham is starting to come on, he is big at 6'2".
Totally forgot about him. Yes, he's another one with a great upside. Although we want to win this year, next year, we will have a very experienced core of WR's. It will be scary what we'll have. I hope TF stays with us a while.

I don't think it can be understated how big it was that MT pulled out that win while these young WRs are learning and growing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT