ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the spring game?

Sep 14, 2019
For those of you that were there, how much better will we be than last year, and how close is the QB competition?

For those of you that were there, how much better will we be than last year, and how close is the QB competition?
I think we will be better than last year but you might not see it in the wins and losses (tough schedule this year). The OL is already light years ahead. In terms of the QB situation, I think it’s clear Nick is QB1 and Luther is QB2.

It's kind of weird no one has much to say about this.

By the pure genius of our administration not putting it on any sort of streaming, I settled for watching the UT spring game. Full of interviews, instant replay, lots of former talent - pretty much like a real game.

We had audio though right? Just like it was 1955, so there's that. For shits sake did they even do any highlights for Youtube?

So, I guess my question is what style of offense did you see? To me the absolute biggest question mark with all the hires and the comments from the staff is let's see how many 13 to 12 games we can play.

I think we will be better than last year but you might not see it in the wins and losses (tough schedule this year). The OL is already light years ahead. In terms of the QB situation, I think it’s clear Nick is QB1 and Luther is QB2.
Agree with Glenn based on what little I saw. Nick is top dog but you can see Luther has some ability with a quick release. He could be very good with some reps. Pretty big body with lively arm. OL is much better. Liked the secondary play on defense too.

So I found a list on FBSchedules which is usually a reliable site.

Not a single G5 school is on ESPN+, which is crazy. I know + isn't the same as ESPN3 was back in the day where they just played what we recorded, but still.

With our GREAT media program there is zero reason it shouldn't have been on GBR though.

This being the first year I "kinda" get it, but from here on out and hopefully as the program grows, it should be broadcast every year.

Make it a unique broadcast showcasing the students, play zone, beer garden, upgrades, etc. Make those watching feel the fun through the screen. Have a fan flag football game with the players. Stuff like that.

There’s more than enough students in that program that could’ve called games this year for something like that. Wouldn’t have minded seeing that at all
100%. Our regular E+ announcers of Jake Rose and Jeremy Kellum are both MT grads. I bet they'd come and have student play-by-play and color in the booth with them. Kind of use it to guide those two students during the broadcast.

Think outside the box. Showcase the school. Spring games are a game, but the team does things different. The draft, guest coaches, etc. The broadcast should be the same way. Not traditional at all.

Reactions: Shayne_Pickering
Always funny reading comments about OL improvement every spring only to see them get destroyed in the fall

Please keep in mind this might be one of the weakest DL we’ve had in 20+ years. We have a few decent DTs and that’s it. DE is poverty level bad unless a few of these new comers can shock the world (very unlikely to happen at the DE position). I don’t think I’ve seen a DL this thin and lacking a 2 deep (or maybe even decent starters at DE) since I started following program 20 years ago.

So in other words, we won’t know anything about this OL until they play somebody.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Always funny reading comments about OL improvement every spring only to see them get destroyed in the fall

Please keep in mind this might be one of the weakest DL we’ve had in 20+ years. We have a few decent DTs and that’s it. DE is poverty level bad unless a few of these new comers can shock the world (very unlikely to happen at the DE position). I don’t think I’ve seen a DL this thin and lacking a 2 deep (or maybe even decent starters at DE) since I started following program 20 years ago.

So in other words, we won’t know anything about this OL until they play somebody.
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on who it was but I think it was James Stewart who had 3 sacks.

I think you'll see MT target some OL / DL in the near future.

Reactions: ewglenn
Agree with Glenn based on what little I saw. Nick is top dog but you can see Luther has some ability with a quick release. He could be very good with some reps. Pretty big body with lively arm. OL is much better. Liked the secondary play on defense too.
MT01 likes to assess QB's. MT01 had this to say previously...

On paper looks like a good get. Actually, on paper this looks like a great get - someone who has the ability to challenge for the starting job in '24.

Ergo, not surprised he's already moved to #2 on the depth chart.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
That said after NV's spring performance, I don't think there is any question who is QB1. Obviously, not only has he adapted to the new offense, he appears to have bought in. That's a good sign. Any offense will only go as far as the QB and OL will let you.

This may be true but you can't argue that they have much better coaching at that position than we've had in a long time. I believe we are much better with the the OL than we've been just with the new pieces and new coaching. The run game is better and there seeems to be more discipline on the line.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
This is late but have been busy. My takeaways from the spring game are...

- Nic Vattiato is the QB1 and can have success in this offense
- Omari Kelly will be a playmaker all over the field at WR
- Tackle position going to be interesting
- DL had some flashes
- Raby, Monds, Harris looked really good in the secondary. Secondary could be a strength in healthy and front 7 generates pressure especially with this coaching
- Guys like Josh Evans and Roman Gagliano look the part physically already and are just true freshmen

"look the part physically already and are just true freshmen"

This is big (pun intended). I never thought we looked like we physically matched up on the field with many of our conference foes.

We seemed small, slow, short, and less physical compared to UTSA when I saw them in person last. You're never going to win too many games when you get off the bus with a physical disadvantage vs your opponents.

This is big (pun intended). I never thought we looked like we physically matched up on the field with many of our conference foes.

We seemed small, slow, short, and less physical compared to UTSA when I saw them in person last. You're never going to win too many games when you get off the bus with a physical disadvantage vs your opponents.
We were that way compared to everyone. Even UTEP (even Jax if I remember right). I did an OL comparison way back when and we were easily smaller than everyone else on avg. in weight and height.

Coaching has changed to help it. I mean who wouldn't want to play for a Super Bowl winning OL coach who protected a most likely HOF QB?
Recruting. It's why developing a pipeline from multiple schools is important. I don't think we ever really had that.
S&C. For Pete's sake, just look at our s&c coach, nuff said. Not to mention a HC that places a focus on nutrition.

We were that way compared to everyone. Even UTEP (even Jax if I remember right). I did an OL comparison way back when and we were easily smaller than everyone else on avg. in weight and height.

Coaching has changed to help it. I mean who wouldn't want to play for a Super Bowl winning OL coach who protected a most likely HOF QB?
Recruting. It's why developing a pipeline from multiple schools is important. I don't think we ever really had that.
S&C. For Pete's sake, just look at our s&c coach, nuff said. Not to mention a HC that places a focus on nutrition.
The inability to have an inside / vertical run game the last 5-7 years of Stock doomed him. Rushing attack was almost exclusively outside the tackles. Passing attack was outside the numbers. Almost everything was horizontal. And it didn’t stress the defense enough.

Some stuff I heard through grapevine (re: Stock’s last 5 years) contributed to his termination. S&C was terrible. Nutrition was non-existent. Stock either lost his fire or just got complacent.

Mason brought the fire back.

The inability to have an inside / vertical run game the last 5-7 years of Stock doomed him. Rushing attack was almost exclusively outside the tackles. Passing attack was outside the numbers. Almost everything was horizontal. And it didn’t stress the defense enough.

Some stuff I heard through grapevine (re: Stock’s last 5 years) contributed to his termination. S&C was terrible. Nutrition was non-existent. Stock either lost his fire or just got complacent.

"Stock either lost his fire or just got complacent."

I'd be shocked to hear that was NOT the case. What incentive did he have?

Reactions: Hop45
"Stock either lost his fire or just got complacent."

I'd be shocked to hear that was NOT the case. What incentive did he have?
Fair point.

In my line of work (and perhaps in others too), the weight of leadership comes with a heavy mental, emotional, psychological, and even spiritual burden. That weight can be exhausting & lead to burnout, complacency, mediocrity, etc

As Saban says, "mediocrity is the human condition."

It's easy to settle for "this is good enough because this is all we can do." But leaders (especially of football teams) need to have the "mamba mentality" and have a burning desire to be GREAT.

Last edited:

100% on this. No nutrition from Stock ever and in 2 days, Mason went to Home Depot and built a nutrition station with the help of the coaches. He also negotiates a nutrition supply deal to keep the station fueled. He gets all of that done in just a couple of days. I gotta be honest. That's what sold me on Mason. It seems like a small thing but that's the stuff that builds success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT