ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Olympics thus far

MTFAN61

All Conference
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2022
There's a lot of things to take into consideration on the 2024 Olympics thus far. From opening ceremonies to the games themselves. There have been a wide range of results from medals to disappointing swimming disqualifications.
What are your overall thoughts on the 2024 Olympics thus far?
Pleased
Slightly pleased
Slightly disappointed
Disappointed

There's a lot of things to take into consideration on the 2024 Olympics thus far. From opening ceremonies to the games themselves. There have been a wide range of results from medals to disappointing swimming disqualifications.
What are your overall thoughts on the 2024 Olympics thus far?
Pleased
Slightly pleased
Slightly disappointed
Disappointed
Highly disappointed in the opening ceremony and the two xy chromosome men beating up on women in boxing. Other than that, I've enjoyed them!

Tremendous crowd enthusiasm at many of the events. Having YouTube TV has been a real bonus for viewing. Track & Field, & swimming competition are personal favorites. Pre-clicking & recording favorite events allows to fly through the commercials & NBC's gab sessions I have zero interest in watching.
Glad I did the same with opening ceremonies. After 10 minutes of viewing & fast forwarding the opening ceremony realized don't have much in common with the French, but I'm still good with their fries come dinner, & toast with plenty of American syrup at breakfast.

Judo was one of the best events so far.

Teddy Riner competing at home in front of the French crowd took individual golf (heavyweight) and lead the French to team gold in amazing fashion.

BTW - google his name. 6’8” 309lb total Unit!!!

Honestly, I haven't watched.

With the timezone different and France being ahead, just a quick click to ESPN and I already know what I'm going to see. I'm not looking for them intentionally - just popping over for some NFL camp news or baseball news and it's on the front page.

I really don't care much for the sports themselves - Gymnastics, swimming, track - outside of the nation v. nation Olympics context and the suspense of competing that comes with it, I really don't get into those sports.

I'm not watching because I like gymnastics, I'm watching to see the US vs the world. But if I already know the winner, that takes all the drama and excitement out of it.

Don’t care. Watched the Men’s 100M dash replay last night. A little of the gymnastics but not much else.

3 on 3 21 halfcourt is an Olympic Sport now? Did not know that until the other day.

Google: Mijain Lopez

5 gold medals in 5 different Olympics. Greco Roman Wrestling

6’5” 290
Last Olympics gold medal match his opponent quit.

Hasn’t surrendered a point in 10 years

After last Olympics he “retired” and took 3 years off. Didn’t compete in a single match between that and this Olympics and just won the 5th gold.

REALLY M'FR!!?

I don't like to bring this stuff up on the boards because everyone can have an opinion on this stuff as long as you agree with them. Spent my entire life trying to stay grounded in the middle - essentially as an independent I suppose politically, but I've had enough lies and gaslighting the last four years to last me two lifetimes (not all that dissimilar to the effort to claim those were nothing more than Greek Gods portraying someone else’s dinner during the opening ceremony) I will probably have to walk away from my federal retirement benefits if we get another four years of this. I've reached the limit of what my moral conscious will allow.

That said, as a Christian those who mock Jesus or faith are lost in societal moral decay. But it’s not my job to judge and certainly I’m not going to reach sainthood myself, so who am I to cast stones. All we can and probably should do is offer grace to those who mock him. After all that’s what HE did when he lived and what I think he wants us to do in ours. Cheers.

Last edited:
Let’s keep the conversation productive. Moving the thread.

Let’s keep the conversation productive. Moving the thread.
All in a all a wise decision. I don't blame anyone here for their own personal thoughts. To each his own. In retrospect I should have been wiser, & never created this thread even though its forbearance is that of pure sports. Obviously those within the French community who were given opportunity to espouse their own progressive standards wanted to put their take on things out there for all to see. Individuals world wide who embraced the long time structure of the Olympics were not used to such a presentation.
What was the result? Conflicting controversy between varying ideologies. I should have been wise enough to know this could issue harsh words amongst those who typically consider themselves friends in common when it comes to sports & athletics. For those who have exchanged any harsh criticisms feel free to place more of the blame towards me for creating this thread than towards each other. Peace to all, & hope everyone enjoys the rest of the Olympics for what they were meant to be. To bring everyone together in shared harmony of camaraderie & sport.

Re the Olympics, I haven't watch any of it, all I do is keep track of medal counts and Not the individual events. As I get older it just doesn't interest me.

GUYhPEhWUAA9e-j

• Haha
Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT