ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Tennessee Tech @ Middle Tennessee Game Thread

Tough game for sure, but I'm not in complete disarray yet. The weather was atrocious and the start time delayed by 2 hrs 40 mins; that almost always benefits the underdog by making the playing field more level. Honestly, the WKU game will be the big answer to how this season will go, in my opinion.
Conner has said for a while now that the WKU game will also be the tell-tale game of the season. I would agree with both of you

The good:

We looked like a roster of FBS players. We looked bigger, faster, stronger than last few years - just the eye test.

The bad:

Most of the issues appeared to be execution issues. Missing blocks on the OL, QB looked skittish a little. I thought we went way conservative in the 2nd half.

The Ugly:

Weather - that just stinks that we had some excitement built and everything and it was just sapped by the weather delay.

A big positive was that last drive. Pressure was on and they were down and they didn't fold. That was very good to see. We shouldn't have even been in that position but the response was what mattered in the end. They will get better as time goes on but we probably won't win 5 games this year.

The good:

We looked like a roster of FBS players. We looked bigger, faster, stronger than last few years - just the eye test.

The bad:

Most of the issues appeared to be execution issues. Missing blocks on the OL, QB looked skittish a little. I thought we went way conservative in the 2nd half.

The Ugly:

Weather - that just stinks that we had some excitement built and everything and it was just sapped by the weather delay.
We looked bigger, but would like to see a little more explosiveness. Felt there were times that TTU was more explosive than MT

You may be right about the execution issues, but I’d like to see them lean MORE into spread formations with 10/11/12 personnel groupings. Felt like the reduced splits limited the offense and made it a little predictable.

And I hate the weather affected attendance. Nothing MT could do it about it.

Run up the middle, repeat. Hoping they decided to just keep the play calling vanilla vs a team we should be at easily.

Reactions: Shayne_Pickering
Run up the middle, repeat. Hoping they decided to just keep the play calling vanilla vs a team we should be at easily.
I think also something worth noting is the choice to play the entire second unit on the offensive line for the entire second quarter, when the momentum seemed to shift for what it's worth. I got the rotations, albeit maybe a tad much with there being them after every play, but that was a highly questionable move in my eyes

Reactions: AustinLewis
It came up in another chat in another location, but someone noticed a familiar theme last night

Run, run, pass, punt last night

For Titans fans, the play calling brought back memories of former OC Todd Downing & the super-predictable play-calling he had.

Building on what @Shayne_Pickering said, I can't help but wonder if the second OL in the 2nd quarter, along with the vanilla play-calling served a purpose : Get some guys some experience & keep things off film.

MT won, but it almost bit them in the tail.

Wow. They barely beat a bottom half 1aa team and act like they won a game vs Liberty.

Not a problem they celebrated a win and came back and won a. Game they probably shouldn’t have. The stuff you’re getting to came today or comes tomorrow during film session. There’s a lot to fix. A lot to improve. And a lot to be concerned about. But celebrate the wins. That’s the goal.

Win is a win, but there won't be very many of them in the future if we play like that again. Good thing we were playing TTU last night.

We still don't have an OL. Hard to see a world where we can be competitive against teams with a pulse when we can't block anybody upfront. The injuries at the position surely are not going to help either. We are in serious trouble with this position group in my opinion.

Defensively I like the roster, but I'm still very suspect of the play calling. TTU OC was eating Stewart for lunch after half time adjustments.

Offensively, it's hard to even gauge anything when the OL is this bad. You have to play around your strengths and weaknesses at the G5 level. A balanced offense that can run the ball with at least moderate success requires a mediocre OL which we just don't have. It's hard to see future success on that side of the ball when we still have glaring problems at OL. To be fair, it wouldn't really matter what style of offense we are running. Bad OL will ruin any offense.

Losing focus due to a comfortable lead is an issue teams lacking in maturity & development have suffered since the concept of team sports have been around. Despite the fact these players have participated in team football since grade school this is probably one of the rawest teams in college football. Not just new players adjusting to playing with each other, but adapting to all new coaching staff as well has to be overwhelming.
I think we were so overpowered by the positivity & salesmanship of CDM that we as fans (myself included!) lost sight of what an overwhelming task it is to putting a cohesive, & fully mature unit on the field. Including a practically a whole new team of players to work with.
Our anger spilled out last night when we saw an fcs team come back from being down 21, & in all reality if not for a targeting penalty overturning a pick 6 Peasnt's & Kelly's last minute heroics probably wouldn't have made any difference anyway.
What we have to remember for next week is we may play an improvef 4 quarters next week than last night & still get beat by 50.
Nonetheless I'm getting ready to buy 3 of the $30 two game ticket packages for the WKU & Liberty/Kennesaw promo. That's a great promo!
We may not have a winning record this year, but I bet by game 9 we'll see a pretty decent product on the field. We have what looks like an excellent recruiting class coming. I see this year as more about rebuilding a foundation for next year & the year after that. And if coach & the boys want to do a little dancing after beating a team we should have knocked off by 30 to help start that foundation dance away.

Losing focus due to a comfortable lead is an issue teams lacking in maturity & development have suffered since the concept of team sports have been around. Despite the fact these players have participated in team football since grade school this is probably one of the rawest teams in college football. Not just new players adjusting to playing with each other, but adapting to all new coaching staff as well has to be overwhelming.
I think we were so overpowered by the positivity & salesmanship of CDM that we as fans (myself included!) lost sight of what an overwhelming task it is to putting a cohesive, & fully mature unit on the field. Including a practically a whole new team of players to work with.
Our anger spilled out last night when we saw an fcs team come back from being down 21, & in all reality if not for a targeting penalty overturning a pick 6 Peasnt's & Kelly's last minute heroics probably wouldn't have made any difference anyway.
What we have to remember for next week is we may play an improvef 4 quarters next week than last night & still get beat by 50.
Nonetheless I'm getting ready to buy 3 of the $30 two game ticket packages for the WKU & Liberty/Kennesaw promo. That's a great promo!
We may not have a winning record this year, but I bet by game 9 we'll see a pretty decent product on the field. We have what looks like an excellent recruiting class coming. I see this year as more about rebuilding a foundation for next year & the year after that. And if coach & the boys want to do a little dancing after beating a team we should have knocked off by 30 to help start that foundation dance away.
Great post.

None of us felt we could win a Champ this year. Do I hope, sure. I hope we beat Ole Miss. I don't think we will, but I still want the team to believe they can. There is zero point in playing a game you don't think you can win. Still have to always give it all you've got. I'll still be watching and will still have a MT shirt on.

If we finish 5-7 or even 4-8, that's OK in season one. I still think 6-6 is the cap. I just want improvement throughout the season and more importantly, each year. If we finish 5-7 this year, next year I want at least 7-5. Then the next 9-3. We've never seen consistent improvement like that in this program since we joined FBS. All hope is not lost. I'll still be driving 6+ hours to see them this year. We all see the issues, but so does CDM. Adjustments will be made because not only does the team have to gel, but the staff does too.

Looked like conditioning was an issue. When I was going to selection for special forces I did morning PT with my company, lifted at lunch, and did another PT session at 7:00pm. You can’t be the best doing what every one else does. You have to put in the extra time. One extra set of squats, bench press, and a two mile run or some sprints adds up over time. Even one extra mile helps. To be the best you have to work the hardest.

Wow. I caught the first half but missed the drama in the second half. Sounds like a lot to cleanup as they face a tougher group of teams ahead.

A little concerning that Mason has pushed the power running game since day 1 and the top rusher last night was Peasant with a whopping 49 yards, 30 of which came on one run. Actually that’s very concerning to me if a strong running game is your strategy. That’s quite disappointing results against TN Tech !!!!

They better get things sorted out real fast or this will be a really tough season delivering those type of stats against a weak team.

One other observation was that we were dialed in defensively when Dylan Laible was the QB. When Jordan Potts came in for them and we had no answer. It’s like they never talked about potentially seeing the backup QB. That is something they will need to make sure is prepared in the future. I think TN Tech found their QB moving forward.

Their two defensive ends, the linebacker that made plays all night, and a safety. Offense is all new outside of Potts under a first year head coach
Linebacker Swafford transferred from Navy. Played for Meigs County. Another stouch defender Barnhart played at Oneida for great DC & HC Tony Lambert (also coached at University of the Cumberlands before going back to HS). Ashton Maples with 2 TDs vs us played at Maryville. Potts played for Powell and trained under the same trainer as MTSU Willis, Tee Higgins, Amari Rodger’s, etc. I’m telling you East TN has been loaded with college talent for some years now. Another Alcoa kid who played with Zeke Rankin & TK (MTSU), Gray Carroll went to Ga Tech & transferred to Liberty prior to 2023 season. Kid wanted to come to MTSU. Liberty took him & well likely face him at DE or LB. I guarantee you MTSU Willis knew those guys from East TN on TTU team. Do some research…,.he played those guys & probably knew them well. But we watched them come back, take the lead while our top weapon barely saw 25 to 40 percent of offensive snaps. Our OL in 2nd qtr. was unit 2 for crying out loud. We played 2s more than we played our 1s. The last drive was the only drive with our starters that weren’t injured in the game the whole drive!!!!! If we had played our 1s until we had them boat raced & then worked our 2s in the game would have been out of hand and we like Lu would have seen their 2s & 3s come in. They were in the game because we let them!!!!!! If Vattiato is in he needs Willis & Kelly & Stewart & #5 in the majority of the time with him. That’s how the P5s do it & for a reason. I hope this game management was just a fluke of some sorts or it’s just insanity & malpractice as a staff.

Seems like CDM made a statement in post game press conference about needing to find Willis more…..hard to do when he’s standing on the sideline. This is an absolute no brainer that a team’s returning pass catcher 1st team All CUSA, Reese’s Bowl Watch list & Shrine Bowl watch list isn’t available. Is he slightly injured or something?

Last edited:
Reactions: blueraiderJT
Not a problem they celebrated a win and came back and won a. Game they probably shouldn’t have. The stuff you’re getting to came today or comes tomorrow during film session. There’s a lot to fix. A lot to improve. And a lot to be concerned about. But celebrate the wins. That’s the goal.
I'm glad you brought up Liberty who allowed Cambell to score 24. Yes, they scored 41 but Tech is now way better than Cambell. Tech's LB's and DL are way improved with the transfers and Wilder as a coach with a veteran coaching staff. The fact that they allowed 24 points which was 1 more than us and only scored 9 more points than we did says something to me. Cambell is a worse team as well. Maybe we aren't as bad as we think and Liberty isn't as good. We'll see but it's not the end of the world either way. We wanted a coacing change and this is what comes with it.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Holden was used all over the field in felt like but as someone who is more of a receiver than a blocker, there is always going to be a bit of a platoon at the position. With that being said there was a lot of preservation going on in general (and to a fault). Holden will be a big part of the offense. Him and Omari will be the two top targets in my opinion

Holden was used all over the field in felt like but as someone who is more of a receiver than a blocker, there is always going to be a bit of a platoon at the position. With that being said there was a lot of preservation going on in general (and to a fault). Holden will be a big part of the offense. Him and Omari will be the two top targets in my opinion
No platoon needed! Stock figured that out real quick last year. Well from last year & what we saw Saturday/Sunday night Willis is much stronger than he even looks & is arguably the best blocking TE we have. Deceptively strong & very much a leader on that field. The guy doesn’t get penalties either. He was telling multiple people where to line up, etc. For anybody to think he’s just a pass catcher hasn’t watched the blocks that kid has laid while being at MTSU. He should be on the field 95% of the time or as much as he can give which was a lot from past history. The whole O runs better & when he isn’t targeted he draws the D his way opening up the other guys. Rotate the 2nd TE position but leave Willis unless you need a bigger body for certain plays. I don’t think you’ll find you need to replace him. He helped protect Vatiatto very well at times when OL needed help last season with a few leading to big RB gains & TDs. Who cares that he’s 6’4 215 to 220. He gets it done! The guy shed two blocks to make the tackle after a MTSU INT. One of the best defensive plays of the night. Don’t handcuff that guy for the sake of MT football. Unleash him!!!!

No platoon needed! Stock figured that out real quick last year. Well from last year & what we saw Saturday/Sunday night Willis is much stronger than he even looks & is arguably the best blocking TE we have. Deceptively strong & very much a leader on that field. The guy doesn’t get penalties either. He was telling multiple people where to line up, etc. For anybody to think he’s just a pass catcher hasn’t watched the blocks that kid has laid while being at MTSU. He should be on the field 95% of the time or as much as he can give which was a lot from past history. The whole O runs better & when he isn’t targeted he draws the D his way opening up the other guys. Rotate the 2nd TE position but leave Willis unless you need a bigger body for certain plays. I don’t think you’ll find you need to replace him. He helped protect Vatiatto very well at times when OL needed help last season with a few leading to big RB gains & TDs. Who cares that he’s 6’4 215 to 220. He gets it done! The guy shed two blocks to make the tackle after a MTSU INT. One of the best defensive plays of the night. Don’t handcuff that guy for the sake of MT football. Unleash him!!!!
Holden Willis is not holding up at tight end at 210 pounds without a platoon

He held up last year & I think you’re slighting him in weight. Does anybody know how to use the eye test from watching performance instead of just labeling people based off numbers that are suspect at best. We can platoon our way to a dismal season or we can throw our best chance out there & fight with both fists. I’m betting on Willis!

Reactions: Hop45
He held up last year & I think you’re slighting him in weight. Does anybody know how to use the eye test from watching performance instead of just labeling people based off numbers that are suspect at best. We can platoon our way to a dismal season or we can throw our best chance out there & fight with both fists. I’m betting on Willis!
MTSU ran an air raid last year and Holden was a receiver. He didn’t have to block, let alone in the trenches. VERY different toll on the body. Holden is really good but doesn’t have the frame to line up in-line for a large share of snaps every game. The weight is based off what he is listed at by the program

MTSU ran an air raid last year and Holden was a receiver. He didn’t have to block, let alone in the trenches. VERY different toll on the body. Holden is really good but doesn’t have the frame to line up in-line for a large share of snaps every game. The weight is based off what he is listed at by the program
We’ll agree to disagree & come back to this later. I get what you are saying to a point, but I think the frame is there & definitely the strength based off the plethora of times they pulled him in to go in motion to block on the edge, line up at Hback & protect Nic, or go hand in dirt to block in run game. I don’t recall him letting anyone through or point blank ever missing a block. He gets reach with those arms & quickness. It’s all in the technique. Yes, he’s definitely a great pass catching TE/WR, but his blocking is pretty darn good & definitely no reason to not have one of your best offensive players not on the field. I have a feeling they know this and if not, they’ll figure it out. I’m not arguing with you….just debating based on what I’ve seen & know.

Mason since day 1 - our offense will be led by a strong running game and will be designed around that.

Game 1 - Top rusher was 50 yards, 30 of which on one play. Against TN Tech !

Sorry but that’s pathetic and better improve or a decent team will flat out destroy them.

Mason since day 1 - our offense will be led by a strong running game and will be designed around that.

Game 1 - Top rusher was 50 yards, 30 of which on one play. Against TN Tech !

Sorry but that’s pathetic and better improve or a decent team will flat out destroy them.
118 yds overall, 6 different rushers. Do will get better running it, now they know what they can and can't do. So you can fix that

118 yds overall, 6 different rushers. Do will get better running it, now they know what they can and can't do. So you can fix that
We were under 118 yds in 8 of 12 games. With most of those being substantially less. Obviously we need to do better but that was a huge mountain to climb.

We were under 118 yds in 8 of 12 games. With most of those being substantially less. Obviously we need to do better but that was a huge mountain to climb.
Yeah but last year Nick threw for over 3000 yards. How many passing yards did we have against a Tech?

Not sure what your point is with this comparison but whatever the analogy is it’s a bad one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT