ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Spring Game to have new format

MTLynn

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
http://www.goblueraiders.com/news/2016/4/14/football-spring-game-to-have-new-format.aspx

MURFREESBORO – Middle Tennessee's annual Blue-White Spring Game is set for this Saturday at 1 PM inside Floyd Stadium. This year's game will have a slightly different format to allow fans to see more of their favorite players and provide more interaction.

"As a staff we talked about changing up the spring game and discussed ideas that would make it more enjoyable for our fan base," Head Coach Rick Stockstill said. "We believe the format we are introducing for this spring game will allow fans to focus on drills, players or aspects of the game that are of greater interest to them, while also seeing some team work."

The first portion of the day will consist of kicking, a number of one-on-one drills, offensive line vs defensive line, inside drill, special teams, and pass skeleton. Director of Player Development Brent Brock will be on the house public address to explain the drills to everyone in attendance.

The team will then begin an approximate 50-play scrimmage with offense going against the defense.

At the conclusion of the scrimmage, Stockstill will present the spring awards at midfield. Following the award presentation, fans will be asked to come on the field to mingle with the coaches and players, take selfies, and get autographs. Posters will be provided.

"Following the game and the awards we are encouraging our fans to come on to the field and meet our players and enjoy some time with them," Stockstill said. "Our fan base is so important to the success of our program. It is not often fans have an opportunity to be with the team or with their favorite players after a game, but this will allow them that access. Our players are looking forward to the change."

Following is a list of the day's activities:
11:00 AM: Lightning's Locker Room Opens
11:00 AM: BRAA Tailgate Begins ($5)
Noon: Unveiling of MT logos on Murfreesboro Fire Truck (Greenland Drive Lot)
1:00 PM: Blue-White Spring Game
1:00 PM: Women's Tennis vs WKU
2:00 PM: Softball vs UTEP
4:00 PM: Baseball vs Charlotte ($2 ticket, $2 hot dog, $2 drinks)

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Seriously? Just have a straight up 4 quarters game. I may not go to see drills and 50 plays. I got yard work to do.

I agree. At least make it two quarters worth. I've never understood why they gotta make spring games so complex and unfootball-like. There really is a simple solution......

White Team = First Team Offense, Second Team Defense

Blue Team = First Team Defense, Second Team Offense

Play 2 quarters worth of traditional football and call it a day. Simple as that.

well there's plenty going on on campus so I'll be down in LR or somewhere else to begin with, they are going to get to 50 plays from scrimmage. That's all I need to see, so if I miss some drills to begin with, I'm okay with it. Hopefully the weather will be nice, and fans will want to stick around for some baseball...

I remember a few years back they had to change the format because of injuries. This just seems silly to me. Who in the world want to watch drills? I am so excited to see our team work on kicking field goals for ten minutes smh

Ya, I wish it wasn't so complicated, but I do like the part at the end where we can go and get pics and stuff.

I am going to wait and see. It said they thought it would be more entertaining for fans so maybe it will.

I have seen this similar format used in other programs and it is pretty fun to watch...especially as the announcer and the O/D get into the competitive spirit. Good chance to really highlight some of your key players, local players, match-ups on O/D. Things can get pretty feisty and the Offense/Defense really tend to get competitive against eachother. Give it a chance...then you will have a 50 play game to see the "real football" game you are looking for. Although the Spring Game is never really a "real game" experience...

bump

11:00 AM: Lightning's Locker Room Opens
11:00 AM: BRAA Tailgate Begins ($5)
Noon: Unveiling of MT logos on Murfreesboro Fire Truck (Greenland Drive Lot)
1:00 PM: Blue-White Spring Game
1:00 PM: Women's Tennis vs WKU
2:00 PM: Softball vs UTEP
4:00 PM: Baseball vs Charlotte ($2 ticket, $2 hot dog, $2 drinks)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT