ADVERTISEMENT

Softball: Raiders look to turn program around in 2015

"Dukes transferred to Lipscomb for her senior season, and Toney graduated after last season."

I don't understand why the transfer rules for football, baseball, and basketball aren't the same for softball, soccer, and volleyball. Checked the DL website and she's been playing this year. I've seen former soccer and volleyball players leave and get to play immediately elsewhere too.

I understand, somewhat, the rule in FB and BkB which allows players to transfer after graduating from one school then attending grad. school somewhere else for their last year of eligibility.

But I'm with you 95 on not understanding transfer rules for so-called minor or non-revenue sports. This academic year we lost a VB soph. (1st team All C-USA) and freshman who was a member of the All C-USA freshman team, both to "power" schools and I'm assuming they were eligible immediately. To my knowledge these transfers were never mentioned by the athletic dept. or the media. It's no wonder our VB program took a huge step back last year with these defections.

It seems that really good players at a mid-major program are susceptible to being recruited away by "power" schools at any time with no potential consequences.

(Nothing in my rant should be understood to be implying that Dukes transferring from MT to Lipscomb is a step up but it does bring up the question to those of us who love MT: How can you play for MT for three years, become a huge contributor in your sport, and not grow to love your school and teammates while looking forward to your senior year? Hard to understand.)

This post was edited on 2/11 7:08 AM by MTFNBY5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT