ADVERTISEMENT

signing day party

I went last year, there were maybe 25 fans there. I posted my thoughts afterwards and someone asked me how I knew about it. I said it was on GoBlueRaiders.com. This person said they never checked that site out, relied on message boards for information. SMH!
It was really well done. Each coach talks about kids who signed for the position they coach. Along with video highlights. I noticed a real comradarie among the coaches. They have snacks and ice cold beer, what's not to like?
One of the very few opportunities we have to mingle and talk to the coaches. I spent 10-15 minutes just small talking with coach Faulkner and Polly. It is worth it just to hear Coach Bibee talk about his recruits. He ought to take his act on the road!
I will be out-of-town this year so will be unable to attend. If your schedules allow, I promise it will be worth your time to attend. Besides, it's free!

Went and enjoyed it. A very good turnout. Enjoyed listening to each of the coaches talk about the new players. There was no talk of stars or mention of ratings or such. Very well done.

Originally posted by SpaceRaider:
Went and enjoyed it. A very good turnout. Enjoyed listening to each of the coaches talk about the new players. There was no talk of stars or mention of ratings or such. Very well done.
REALLY wanted to go, if for no other reason than to rub some elbows and sell the site to some folks, but I'm so under the gun with this film breakdown piece (coming up shortly btw!) and the wife was home sick with the baby...just couldn't justify it.

Good to hear it went well. I know the staff is pleased with this class. There's definitely a shift going down with their recruiting philosophy. To summarize a conversation I had with someone earlier today - MT is trying to change the culture. They're not settling on any recruits - they all have to pass the eye test, the film test, the game test and the character test. They want to establish MT as a destination within CUSA - you can almost say like Marshall has done (who cleaned up again this year).

Marshall signed 24 kids. 15 were from Florida or Georgia. That's one heck of a pipeline.

They signed 1 kid from West VA.

". . .Marshall number one and MT at 2"

Where? I decided to try and look up the rankings to see how we compared in conference and the first thing on my Yahoo search page was 247sports.com which has MT at # freaking 9 in C-USA. Rivals, home of this site, has MT at #5.

I realize we're G5 and not Bama or Notre Dame so our recruits are not scrutinized as much as teams at the top but WTF? #2 in a ranking you saw and # freaking 9 in the first ranking I find. Quite a discrepancy!

This post was edited on 2/5 8:19 AM by MTFNBY5

Ranking Shmanking, all that really matters will be decided next fall and the 3 or 4 falls to follow.

There has NEVER been a team win on paper.

If Stock got the players he wanted, and it appears he did, then it should be listed as the number 1 recruiting class in 2015 for MT.

D-winns

I looked at 247's ranking yesterday, and we dropped from 4th to 9th when they added 3 or 4 kids who didn't have prospect profiles (Bonadies, Anderson, Philpots, and Moffatt). Those guys get 247's minimum score, and it drags everything down.

Rivals only takes the top 20 in each class - I like the way they do it because if you don't, it tends to skew to classes who oversign and away from classes that might have quality at the top and projects at the bottom.

I'd break out the classes as follows:

Top tier - Marshall, LaTech, FAU

A bunch of teams in the middle somewhere.

Poor classes - UTEP, Charlotte, WKU, Rice, North Texas.

Originally posted by MTFNBY5:
". . .Marshall number one and MT at 2"

Where? I decided to try and look up the rankings to see how we compared in conference and the first thing on my Yahoo search page was 247sports.com which has MT at # freaking 9 in C-USA. Rivals, home of this site, has MT at #5.

I realize we're G5 and not Bama or Notre Dame so our recruits are not scrutinized as much as teams at the top but WTF? #2 in a ranking you saw and # freaking 9 in the first ranking I find. Quite a discrepancy!
At one point MT was 4th in the 247 ranking and nothing really changed with MT except one recruit, MT was a consistent #5 on the rivals ranking the last several days. The good thing about being at the signing day celebration was listening to the position coaches as the film on each player was rolling, sometimes they would stop and run the film back for emphasis on why they were so excited about these particular guys. I know 'no one signs a bad player or bad class on signing day' but I did not hear the andy mccullom level of BS we heard back during that regime about these players. The coaches talked about these players' abilities, potential, what they expected and projected for these guys, their academics, and family backgrounds.

B9Cl7DGIIAADDbI.jpg

TW takes a lot of flack around here but it sure sounded like recruits/campers gravitated towards him didn't it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT