ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Should CRS shut down Brent for the season?

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
dnj:

After the game, the MTSU quarterback revealed the extent of his injury.

“I have a cracked sternum and I separated my collarbone from my sternum,” he said. “They said it’s day by day, though. Whenever I can get back and get ready. I just wasn’t able to get back and get ready for this one."

Maybe secure a medical redshirt on the back end of Brent's career????

Last edited:
Oh crap! I think he's done for the year then. That's the bone protecting your heart. He gets hit hard enough, it can kill him. I don't think he plays. We better get Urzua ready this week. SMH. Tony Franklin should have his butt kicked for running Brent up the middle like a moron. We gotta get Urzua some freakin blocking.

Don't get mad at the OC for running him, get mad at the O line that's getting him killed.
He got injured after running up the middle vs. Syracuse and Franklin should know better. Yeah, the O line sucks and Mallory should be gone.

What about Richie?

...James, who said he was expecting a heavy workload out of the wildcat formation with Stockstill sidelined, suffered an ankle injury late in the first quarter on a run.

"Guy hit real low and took my ankle out," James said. "I don’t know if he twisted it or not. He made a really good tackle and then next play, I felt it. I kept playing the next play and I realized that I was really hurt.

"We haven’t really dived into [the extent of the injury]. I tried to go back into the game. It didn’t feel well so we’ll see tomorrow.".....

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/college/mtsu/2017/09/16/5-things-we-learned/658061001/

Kyle Banks might push Urzua to start and I hope he does. He was 6 for 8 with no turnovers.

We can beat Bowling Green without Richie but not FAU. Jimmy Marshall needs more PT too. That kid is a weapon and Stock burned the shirt for a reason.

Wildcat wasn't too wild. Hope we can dig out of this mess...Offense sounds decimated.

I'll be listening to our games via Chip and tv broadcasts.

Last edited:
Brad Anderson can be that guy. We got to keep getting him reps. He has shown flashes.

the Banks kid is vastly underrated. I don't understand why we've kept Urzua at the #2 spot now that Banks has redshirted and can play. I guess they prefer Urzua's game experience? I don't know. Seems like every game the kid has ever played in has included at least 1 pick six. That's not the experience I'm looking for. His height is great and all but he has too many brain farts out there. I know the OL sucks but Banks is the better option and if Stockstill is gone, then I really hope we go to Banks because I do believe he can be special here.

With regards to the OL, it is what it is. Just hope injuries don't start piling up, because it can get even worse (hard to believe, I know). RB isn't much better, but there's at least hope with Brad Anderson. He better hang on to that damn ball though. It's amazing how many scholarships we've spent on JUCO OL and JUCO RB's only to have little to no contribution from them. Such a waste.

Moving forward, luckily for us, CUSA is dog shit this year. Not a single team I'd put in the top 50 teams of college football. So despite our glaring weaknesses and lack of a complete team, we can still sadly go out and win this piss poor conference this year. But knowing us we won't even get it done in a down year.

Last edited:
I rewatched the Banks series. He's better than Urzua. Better accuracy and touch. Jimmy Marshall needs to play more now. That kid is good. He should have been playing week 1. They might have wanted to redshirt him and still can I think but I hope they don't. We need him.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Steve Mcnair had a broken sternum and played with a flak jacket. Of course he was paid millions. This is a career ending injury. Sad for Brent.
I agree with Wiley, we can win this dogshit conference but not with Urzua and no rb.

Steve Mcnair had a broken sternum and played with a flak jacket. Of course he was paid millions. This is a career ending injury. Sad for Brent.
My thoughts exactly. There are ways Brent can play, but is it worth the risk to his health.

My thoughts exactly. There are ways Brent can play, but is it worth the risk to his health.

I think you hold him out of the BGSU game and then we get a bye week...and see how he is.

He has already had a RS and a GS, no way he will get a medical RS, most likely he will not take it, 6 years in the program is enough.

Reactions: C-Bow
We don't have a bye week until the UTEP game. FAU is right after Bowling green. Banks is a capable QB. We got to play him and let Urzua freaking sit.

About Brent. Think about this. After the injury happened, He led the team down the field and threw that TD to Tuck. Sheesh, that kid is tough.

Last edited:
I think I detect some sarcasm there.

One thing there is no doubt about, Brent is one tough young man. His dad, coaches, teammates, and fans of Middle Tennessee clearly respect and appreciate his toughness and effort for MT. With all of that said, it's time for the older adults to apply some wisdom and thoughts about the future to this situation. Specifically, it's time for his dad, the head coach, to say enough is enough. For the sake of Brent's future health, he needs to stay on the sidelines and let his body heal. Maybe. Maybe, if everything is looking absolutely wonderful from the doctors' reports, maybe MT can enjoy watching Brent play his Senior season.

At that young age, it's fairly normal for fit and strong young men to think they can do whatever punishment to their bodies without any long term consequences. When one starts getting into these repeated structural mechanical injuries and breakages to major areas of the body, it would seem prudent to consider functioning for the rest of their adult life. And if my guessing is right, Brent likely has what it takes to be an excellent coach. Heck, imo, Brent is more articulate, insightful, and exhibiting leadership during the press conferences than his dad. That's not an insult at coach stock as he as a dad has to be proud of his son. Hopefully the young man can have a full healthy active career. He likely needs to take care of his health now though.

I do really hope that the coaches get the right players into the right places for the upcoming games. This past weekend ended up yielding exactly what I was arguing last week for the coaches to avoid. That is that they have really needed to get Tucker and the other RBs back there handling the rock. It has been a head scratcher watching the coaches throw the smaller framed players right into the middle of big stout physical defenses. It's so obvious that after a few of those bruising runs, it will end up taking it's toll on those smaller framed bodies. I get that they like those smaller guys who have tremendous quicks and speed to try to carry the ball. To me though, it's just asking to get your top athletes banged up and injured. Brent has developed a bigger stronger frame, and all those hits still have taken their toll on him. Throw James or Lee in there who may be 170 lbs soaking wet, and they don't need to be running the ball up the middle into the teeth of some monster defenses. Those guys are designed to be speed guys on the perimeter running around and away from the defense. With James mostly on the sidelines, Lee was starting to limp around after a few of those runs up the middle. It seems the coaches finally backed off before Lee ended up getting hurt.

Moving forward, luckily for us, CUSA is dog shit this year. Not a single team I'd put in the top 50 teams of college football. So despite our glaring weaknesses and lack of a complete team, we can still sadly go out and win this piss poor conference this year. But knowing us we won't even get it done in a down year.

Charlotte, UTEP, FIU, FAU are all included in the worst-10/15 teams in college football (2-9 combined record so far). BGSU is 0-3, Marshall (2-1) is still trying to come back and UAB (2-1) hasn't had a team for years and is maybe a 4 win team this year. That leaves Western & ODU (3-3 combined) as actual good teams left on the schedule. If you can't put together 6-7 wins, with this schedule, then it is time to strongly question the ones on top.

Reactions: VARaider84
If our coaches would just let Banks play, we would be dynamic enough to win the next 5 games. It's not hard. If Richie comes back for the FAU game, then the chances go way up.

A lot of folks will be at Bama/Vandy.

Hottest ticket in town this week.

I doubt very few True Blue fans will be there. That game will be 3/4 Alabama fans if not more. Vanderbilt season ticket holders, at least those who don't sell their tickets to bama fans, will make up 95% of the balance. Besides it's also going up against that all important Salukis at memphis game.

I doubt very few True Blue fans will be there. That game will be 3/4 Alabama fans if not more. Vanderbilt season ticket holders, at least those who don't sell their tickets to bama fans, will make up 95% of the balance. Besides it's also going up against that all important Salukis at memphis game.
Don't hate. And besides, Memphis is a 7:00 pm kickoff. No conflict there.

Charlotte, UTEP, FIU, FAU are all included in the worst-10/15 teams in college football (2-9 combined record so far). BGSU is 0-3, Marshall (2-1) is still trying to come back and UAB (2-1) hasn't had a team for years and is maybe a 4 win team this year. That leaves Western & ODU (3-3 combined) as actual good teams left on the schedule. If you can't put together 6-7 wins, with this schedule, then it is time to strongly question the ones on top.

Charlotte and UTEP seem to be taking steps backwards if that were possible. FAU & FIU are teams that will likely be improving in the not too distant future. If Kiffin can demonstrate maturity and avoid scandal, I suspect FAU will become a better team sooner rather than later. I would suspect FAU will rise faster than FIU. I imagine FIU might take a little time, but their new coach seems to have a legit shot at improving FIU.

I do contend that MT is likely fortunate to play FAU early in the conference season rather than the usual late season games. I get this feeling that FAU will likely be a better performing team by the end of the season than they will be over the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: blueraiderJT

41,584 last night for SIU.

Meanwhile in Knoxville....Neyland at kickoff.

DKdtd1pUQAA2ffr

Charlotte and UTEP seem to be taking steps backwards if that were possible. FAU & FIU are teams that will likely be improving in the not too distant future. If Kiffin can demonstrate maturity and avoid scandal, I suspect FAU will become a better team sooner rather than later. I would suspect FAU will rise faster than FIU. I imagine FIU might take a little time, but their new coach seems to have a legit shot at improving FIU.

I do contend that MT is likely fortunate to play FAU early in the conference season rather than the usual late season games. I get this feeling that FAU will likely be a better performing team by the end of the season than they will be over the next couple of weeks.

Totally agree with this. FAU is going with a run first approach right now and defensively, they are struggling. I think they might be trying to pass more in league play but yeah, us catching them early is really awesome for us. The buffalo game showed a lot as far as what they are about.

If Urzua can just protect the ball more, he would be fine. Joc Bruce at RB was a master stoke of an idea. I think we got lightning in a bottle with that one because Lee and Bruce are out there at the same time which made us a lot more versatile. Jimmy Marshall is going to be special too. Big kid. They gotta get him with the 1's and throw to him. He's a weapon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT