ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Walker: Cleveland Will Be 'Open Convention,' Not 'Brokered'

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said in a Townhall interview that the Republican national convention in Cleveland will be an "open" convention, because it can be triggered only by voters and decided by delegates.

In an interview with Guy Benson, Walker categorized a "brokered" convention as one organized by party "elites" such as in the Democrats' superdelegate system.

Abraham Lincoln was elected in an open convention and "I think most Americans would say Abraham Lincoln was a pretty good president," said Walker.

Walker has endorsed Texas Sen. Ted Cruz for president and believes Cruz will win the nomination at the convention, noting no one would have enough delegates on the first ballot, but he believes Cruz would win "either on the second or the third at the latest."

The two-term governor did not rule out being part of the nomination process at the convention and says he doesn't "see any way that [Ohio Gov. John] Kasich or anybody else gets it." Adding that voters who have backed "either Cruz or Trump" would view a new nominee as being "unfair and not right."

Trump can't get to the 1,237-delegate level he needs because of Cruz's victory in Wisconsin, said Walker, noting that Cruz won there because Trump made a mistake in attacking him and his record.

When Trump said Wisconsin wasn't doing well, "the people know the facts," and that turned them away from Trump, "even some votes who were open to Trump as a candidate."

Wisconsin's 3 million employed people is "the greatest we've ever had in the state," in addition to the state's balanced budget and school reforms, said Walker. Voters "appreciate governors and lawmakers who are willing to stand up and not only not raise taxes, but lower them, which is what we've done," he added.

Walker is not ruling out running for a third term as governor in his state, which has no term limits. He told Benson that he was not going to make an official decision until next year, but he is leaning toward running again.

When asked about the Trump campaign announcing he was on their short list of a possible running mate, the governor said, "I literally laughed out loud," adding that he has "absolutely zero interest" in running with Trump as his vice president.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Sco...il_job=1664653_04202016&s=al&dkt_nbr=x8xmiyv6

Scott Walker: Cruz Will Win Nomination At Convention On Second Ballot
The Wisconsin governor said it was likely that the nominee would be chosen at the convention.

Scott Walker said on Thursday that it was likely the Republican primary would be decided at the convention in July, predicting a Ted Cruz victory on the second ballot.

“I think it is very, very likely now that it will be at the convention,” Walker, who has endorsed Cruz, told Wisconsin radio host Jerry Bader. “But it won’t be the wild wild West that some in the media are portraying it as. I think what happens is nobody has 1,237 on the first ballot. I think by the second ballot, depends on the state, Wisconsin delegates are bound far into the process, so you’re not gonna see people change, which is good because almost all the delegates are with Ted Cruz.”

The Wisconsin governor said that he thought Marco Rubio’s delegates in particular would shift to Cruz.

“But many, many other states are freed up after that first vote, and so I think you’re gonna see a shift particularly from delegates who are assigned to Marco Rubio,” Walker said. “I firmly believe that the over, over-whelming majority of those delegates on the subsequent ballots will go to Ted Cruz. So I think he will get past 1237 by the second ballot, which is good because he’ll unite the party, bring us together.”

Walker said he doesn’t believe deciding the nominee at the convention would result in chaos.

“And for those in the media who say this is some sort of chaotic event, I would remind them that Abraham Lincoln was elected in an open convention, on I think it was either the fifth or sixth ballot if I remember right,” he said. “And so, we did pretty well with our first Republican president. I think we’re gonna be just fine with Ted Cruz winning on the second or subsequent ballot.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christophe...-nomination-at-convention-on-secon#.jbwN7RKz8

At the beginner, Walker was my number one choice, Cruz was my second. Walker has actually led and gotten things done in a divided state. Too bad he didn't get legs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT