ADVERTISEMENT

Sam’s All-American Sports Grill

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
Since I live in Hendersonville, I haven't been to Sam's All-American Sports Grill in Murfreesboro until today. Although I have driven by Sam's several times and have wanted to stop in just to see all the MT memorabilia, I always seemed to put it off and thought to myself that I would check it out on my next visit to the Boro. Well, today I finally decided that I would eat lunch there. Upon entering the establishment, I was greeted by two attractive hostesses as they both welcomed me to Sam's. Although I appreciated their warm hospitality, I was very disappointed in the lack of MT memorabilia. As a matter of fact, I don't believe I saw any anywhere in the sports bar. Since the Sam's in Hendersonville has a framed Rick Stockstill autographed MT football jersey on its wall, I certainly thought the Sam's in Murfreesboro would have a lot on its walls promoting Blue Raider athletics given that the Blue Raider Network carries the Rick Stockstill Show during the football season from this location and is the host site for the radio shows featuring Middle Tennessee basketball coaches Kermit Davis and Rick Insell. But the only framed football jersey I saw was Peyton Manning's jersey when he played for the Indianapolis Colts. I was so disappointed that I decided to leave and take my business to The Boulevard. Of course I did it discretely since I never sat down or placed an order before leaving. I just decided I would prefer to eat at a place where it supports MT athletics exclusively. So who decided to have the Rick Stockstill Show at Sam's instead of The Boulevard? I understand The Boulevard has limited parking but it is located right across from the university so many students can easily walk to it and it doesn't have mixed loyalties (see photo below) like Sam's obviously has. Furthermore, the food at The Boulevard is just as good as Sam's if not better.

So BBJ, since you live in Murfreesboro and are probably familiar with both sports bars, I would appreciate it if you could explain to me why The Boulevard doesn't host the Rick Stockstill show instead of Sam's. Is it possible that The Boulevard decided against hosting his show? Since The Boulevard appears to want to promote itself as an MT-themed sports bar, shouldn't Middle Tennessee try to help them with this endeavor? Thoughts?

39841cc7-9e50-4ed9-85eb-3bb485b145e2.jpg

Last edited:
Flash, since I've never been in Sam's, I can't really give an opinion. I have been to The Boulevard, once, and thought the food was average. I have no idea regarding why Sam's hosts the RS Show and the Boulevard doesn't. I'm sure money has a say in it, though.... ;)

BBJ, I realize I appear to be an advocate for The Boulevard but to say that its food is average is not a fair assessment. Perhaps the food is much better now than when you were there. Although many Blue Raider fans recommend Toot's to visiting fans, I have always thought Toot's food was average at best. I admit the suggestion that The Boulevard's food might be even better than Sam's is a bit hyperbolic but it appears to me to be just as good. Given the number of people who were there on Saturday for lunch, it seems a lot of people agree with me because there were a lot more people at The Boulevard than at Sam's. Again, I know because I was at Sam's first before I decided to go to The Boulevard to eat lunch. With respect to Sam's hosting the coaches' shows, it just seems to me the sports bar hosting the event should not have mixed loyalties. For example, The Water Street Tavern in Kent, Ohio is the official post-game headquarters for Kent State athletics and often hosts after-parties for comedians, bands, and speakers at Kent State (click web address below). Actually the competition from Ray's Place, located just around the corner and one of Playboy's top 100 college bars, helps make The Walter Street Tavern as good as it is. Both of them are exclusive Kent State bars as well as Buffalo Wild Wings just up the street. You never see Ohio State crap in any of them. The trouble with Murfreesboro is it wants to cater to both Blue Raider fans and Vols with the latter getting the most promotion. I realize Tennessee is part of the university's name but I just wished Middle Tennessee would emphasize the MIDDLE more and less of the TENNESSEE. Of course that might exclude the Junior Sample's and Lulu's who support the Vols but that would be a good thing.

Eatlon.jpg

http://www.kent360.com/1029-water-street-tavern-rated-number-1-again.html

Last edited:
Funny stuff, Flash! I've never encountered such rude, vulgar, obnoxious fans in my life as I have UT Vol$ fans. They're the worst of the worst!

Just for the record, as much as I appreciate Peyton Manning's character, I will never forgive him for going to Tennessee instead of Ole Miss. Archie and Olivia raised him right and that is why Peyton is the kind of person he is today. But as an Ole Miss fan, I just can't forgive him for snubbing Ole Miss. When I was at Sam's and saw his framed jersey on the wall and no Middle Tennessee memorabilia, I thought that's it, I'm out of here!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT