ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Rick Stockstill LIVE radio show debuts Aug. 29

Who ever the candidates are when the time comes, if no changes are made at higher levels (new AD), it will be old cronies, has-been retreads, or unproven position coaches....

exactly. McPhee will try to cheap out on the hire just like he did with mens basketball and just like he has done with facilities over the last 20 years.

McPhee is a tightwad when it comes to athletics. He wants a deal on everything. He isn’t committed to athletics excellence, not in the least bit. He doesn’t understand the concept of spending money to make money.

fire them all please.

I don't care what offense I am watching as long as the team wins. We need to start thinking realistically here. Massaro would either promote Schafer or hire someone with Carolina ties. Larry Fedora coached at North Carolina and Massaro is familiar with him, so that checks 2 boxes. Bohannon played and has coached all but one year within the state of Georgia, but that one year outside of Georgia was at Gardner-Webb in North Carolina. Petrino coached at WKU and has no ties to either of the Carolinas, so he is out. There is no evidence that Nick Hill at SIU has ever even stepped foot in the Carolinas, but he is 31-37 as a HC and that may keep him on the list.

In all seriousness I would look at someone like Kendal Briles. He is young and we could offer him a salary that matches or comes close to his $1.25 million he gets right now.
Kendal Briles is on my list. Whatever decision is made whenever that decision is made, make football fun again!

I have a list of guys I would talk with.

If Stock is 0-2 after this week and then loses at home to TSU (in front of a majority TSU crowd in our house) we need to have banners ready to unfurl on the Visitors’ side aimed directly at the BOT members sitting in SM’s luxury suite enjoying their free chicken fingers and booze.
Surely they will act if this occurs.

Briles would probably not seriously consider MT. It would require a few years to get a solid roster and some momentum. If he did look at MT, it would likely be one and done. I do think we need younger more hungry coaches that look to move up, but one season isn't going to turn around this program.

I would look for someone that can hang around 2-3 seasons at least and then move on, leaving hopefully another guy behind that can take over. This should not be considered a place to finish off your career.

Briles would probably not seriously consider MT. It would require a few years to get a solid roster and some momentum. If he did look at MT, it would likely be one and done. I do think we need younger more hungry coaches that look to move up, but one season isn't going to turn around this program.

I would look for someone that can hang around 2-3 seasons at least and then move on, leaving hopefully another guy behind that can take over. This should not be considered a place to finish off your career.
No it would not require a few years to get a solid roster. The transfer portal changes the game on this.

FWIW - I realize he was a bust at UMass - Don't know how many of you watched Walt Bell's last minute drive for the win against the Illini which was very impressive. Now I don't know if we could beat Indiana OC $$$S but the Dickson County native just might want to come home. I would bet he would improve MT's reputation among mid-state high school coaches.

FWIW, I want someone associated as a player and coach (assistant or otherwise) with multiple conference championships. As sad as it may be, that would automatically disqualify any one who played or coached under Stockstill or mccollum. here at MT.

The triple option is tough to watch but it would likely lead to more wins. I’d really be bummed if that was the direction. Personally I’d be all for a retread Mike Leach.

Reactions: crposton
The triple option is tough to watch but it would likely lead to more wins. I’d really be bummed if that was the direction. Personally I’d be all for a retread Mike Leach.
Mike Leach is at Miss State
The triple option is tough to watch & it won’t necessarily lead to more wins (especially in a world where games are won 38-31).

Last edited:
Question for coach: with being in the midst of a total ncaa conference realignment does getting trounced by JMU hurt our reputation/chances to move to a more stable conference or does it just not matter anymore?

It's weird when you look at Leach's career record. He was good at TT, but Washington St he was just above .500 with only one great year. MS State has been .500 so far. He reminds me of Tony Franklin in that he probably doesn't change his gameplan much. It's just keep doing the same things that worked years ago.

It's weird when you look at Leach's career record. He was good at TT, but Washington St he was just above .500 with only one great year. MS State has been .500 so far. He reminds me of Tony Franklin in that he probably doesn't change his gameplan much. It's just keep doing the same things that worked years ago.
Part of the reason Mike Leach hasn't had a ton of 10+ win seasons is where he's coached. TTU was a middle of the pack program. Leach took them to record heights (3 9 win seasons in 10 years). In contrast, they only had one 9 win season in the previous decade. They even had 10+ win season (last season 10+ win season was 1976) .

At Washington State, Leach restored them to the late 1990s / early 2000s after a decade of irrelevance.

At Miss State, it's pretty obvious a good season there is 8-9 wins. With annual games against Bama, LSU, Texas A&M. Ole Miss & Auburn are tough "toss up" games.

I love Mike Leach. He would definitely bring some personality to the program. I bet he would be a very successful coach here. Leach would be my #1 choice for his press conferences alone.

Coaches from the big sky like Montana or Montana state. What about those guys. They would probably whip our collective arse right now.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I love Mike Leach. He would definitely bring some personality to the program. I bet he would be a very successful coach here. Leach would be my #1 choice for his press conferences alone.
Starkville is Leach’s last stop before retirement in Key West. He makes $5 million a year now and spends almost as much time in the islands as Starkville already.

I also don’t think as many people would enjoy pure Air Raid like Mike runs it. It’s ball control (his MSU teams are top 10 in time of possession), one-dimensional, a ton of very short efficient passes (one of the worst yards per completion in the country. He rarely goes downfield, which is different than the run & shoot or veer & shoot. Not much variety, he runs the same 5 or 6 concepts over and over. I have heard more than one coach refer to Leach’s Air Raid as a passing version of the triple option. More than a few WSU and MSU fans complain about it being boring and the same thing over and over.

I like it as a system, but I like triple option too. I think people here would like to see more vertical passing and running, more of a Briles style.

Last edited:
Vertical is what I want. We will never have that here as Stock doesn't put enough emphasis on the line to give the QB time. I want a 100yd runner every game and a 300yd passer every game. Vertical high scoring 40pts is what is fun to me.

The 2012 WVU games against Baylor and Oklahoma were some of the funnest for me. 656yds passing for Geno against Baylor. 337yds rushing for Tavon against Oklahoma. I love stuff like that.

I remember Oliver Luck saying back when he hired Dana (a product Leach) that one of the reasons was fans wanted high scoring games. Yes defense matters, but fans want 70-63, not 10-7.

Reactions: elamlee
Vertical is what I want. We will never have that here as Stock doesn't put enough emphasis on the line to give the QB time. I want a 100yd runner every game and a 300yd passer every game. Vertical high scoring 40pts is what is fun to me.

The 2012 WVU games against Baylor and Oklahoma were some of the funnest for me. 656yds passing for Geno against Baylor. 337yds rushing for Tavon against Oklahoma. I love stuff like that.

I remember Oliver Luck saying back when he hired Dana (a product Leach) that one of the reasons was fans wanted high scoring games. Yes defense matters, but fans want 70-63, not 10-7.
I would love to get someone from the Baylor / Briles tree. That system puts so much stress on defenses. And it's exciting to watch.

As someone else said, most sidewalk fans would go to a 42-38 game over a 17-13 game.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer

Dana is really good example of evolving the Mumme/Leach Air Raid and picking up read option and RPO as part of the offense.

Another good example is Josh Heupel at UT. Both he and and Dana learned under Leach, but their O is not air raid. Heupel still uses crosses, but he no longer teaches / uses mesh as a stable. Leach uses mesh like 20% of the time. Heupel picked up Art Briles O.

Like Austin said, that Art Briles O is exciting and it would be nice to bring in someone that emphasizes running to compliment the pass.

Kendall Briles would be a slam dunk hire. I would talk to Alex Golesh. He already recruits the state and he’s been Heupel’s right hand man for a few years.

There are so many quality coaches that should get a look, so I completely expect Massaro and McPhee to screw it up when the time comes.

Dana is really good example of evolving the Mumme/Leach Air Raid and picking up read option and RPO as part of the offense.

Another good example is Josh Heupel at UT. Both he and and Dana learned under Leach, but their O is not air raid. Heupel still uses crosses, but he no longer teaches / uses mesh as a stable. Leach uses mesh like 20% of the time. Heupel picked up Art Briles O.

Like Austin said, that Art Briles O is exciting and it would be nice to bring in someone that emphasizes running to compliment the pass.

Kendall Briles would be a slam dunk hire. I would talk to Alex Golesh. He already recruits the state and he’s been Heupel’s right hand man for a few years.

There are so many quality coaches that should get a look, so I completely expect Massaro and McPhee to screw it up when the time comes.
Guys, if we keep mentioning names on my hot list, they'll be no hot list 😂

Someone like Golesh is an interesting name for MT to consider (when the time comes). Golesh has been a part of successful programs at the G5 level, worked with a program builder in Matt Campbell at Iowa State, won conference championships at UCF, and now is leading UT's explosive offense.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
One would hope that CM has a list. I've seen ADs who say they have a constant running list, especially G5s because you never know when a P5 will come calling.

There is a large, well almost all, part of me that says CM and McPhee will look for a long term hire. I'd halfway be ok with that if the buyout wasn't nuts, but I'd prefer the Boise or App State approach. Win a bunch, next man up, win a bunch, next man up. I've said before you won't have to have a list as young hungry guys will be knocking down the door to come here knowing it is a place that gets noticed if you do good. Don't lock a guy in just for the sake of consistency. It isn't worth it. We are proof.

We've said it before, energetic etc. Someone who is hungry too. By that I mean someone who gets pissed at a loss. Who instead of saying "we got our butts whipped" says "we sucked today and if we don't fix it we will suck again. So here is what we did wrong and here is what we are gonna do". Take accountability, not make excuses like what we have now. "Oh we missed a few practices for rain." There are other things you can do during that time ya know.

I just don't have full trust in the admin to do it right which is why as I think we are on the ending years of Stock, I'm on the clean house train.

One would hope that CM has a list. I've seen ADs who say they have a constant running list, especially G5s because you never know when a P5 will come calling.

There is a large, well almost all, part of me that says CM and McPhee will look for a long term hire. I'd halfway be ok with that if the buyout wasn't nuts, but I'd prefer the Boise or App State approach. Win a bunch, next man up, win a bunch, next man up. I've said before you won't have to have a list as young hungry guys will be knocking down the door to come here knowing it is a place that gets noticed if you do good. Don't lock a guy in just for the sake of consistency. It isn't worth it. We are proof.

We've said it before, energetic etc. Someone who is hungry too. By that I mean someone who gets pissed at a loss. Who instead of saying "we got our butts whipped" says "we sucked today and if we don't fix it we will suck again. So here is what we did wrong and here is what we are gonna do". Take accountability, not make excuses like what we have now. "Oh we missed a few practices for rain." There are other things you can do during that time ya know.

I just don't have full trust in the admin to do it right which is why as I think we are on the ending years of Stock, I'm on the clean house train.

I am afraid Massaro’s list is the South Carolina assistant coach roster.

All this next coach talk is useless. It’s obvious the 3 stooges don’t care about anything but their comfy, stable paychecks, damn the little supports left. My biggest concern is that in 2026, if Stock Sr.’s contract isn’t extended than Stock Jr will be named a successor. And that’s not a knock against Brent. I really appreciate what he’s done, but that last name leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I crave new

I work with a guy who played football at WKU, and he’s actually pretty cool. We were talking about the differences in our program and he didn’t realize how bad it is at MT. He was surprised when I told him when I was a student (04-08), we averaged 20-25K/game. I told him a lot of our diehards and especially side walk fans have given up. How many active posters are left posting on here anyway now? Couple of dozen? I wasn’t around for the Delphi days, but you that have been around longer than I make it sound like it was a great active forum for our fans

All this next coach talk is useless. It’s obvious the 3 stooges don’t care about anything but their comfy, stable paychecks, damn the little supports left. My biggest concern is that in 2026, if Stock Sr.’s contract isn’t extended than Stock Jr will be named a successor. And that’s not a knock against Brent. I really appreciate what he’s done, but that last name leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I crave new

I work with a guy who played football at WKU, and he’s actually pretty cool. We were talking about the differences in our program and he didn’t realize how bad it is at MT. He was surprised when I told him when I was a student (04-08), we averaged 20-25K/game. I told him a lot of our diehards and especially side walk fans have given up. How many active posters are left posting on here anyway now? Couple of dozen? I wasn’t around for the Delphi days, but you that have been around longer than I make it sound like it was a great active forum for our fans
Now we all want to know who the former WKU player is…
MT’s attachment to Stock doesn’t make sense to WKU fans. And quite frankly, it doesn’t make sense to most MT fans too

It absolutely is useless, to an extent. And I absolutely could see Lil Stock getting it too.

I view it with as bad as we are admin wise, program wise, season wise, talking future coach possibilities gives me happiness. Lol.

Reactions: arg3b
It absolutely is useless, to an extent. And I absolutely could see Lil Stock getting it too.

I view it with as bad as we are admin wise, program wise, season wise, talking future coach possibilities gives me happiness. Lol.
Fair point! It is fun to think about. I was here when Andy Mac was fired, and we were a happy bunch! This was prior to smart phones, but I remember finding any computer on campus just to see the latest gossip on this forum. Hopefully, that day will come again sooner rather than later!

Bump.

I wonder if they’ll even bother to have a show this week?? Maybe actually take some live phone calls?? 😂
Two weeks ago he has talking some mighty shit. Now its back to the good ole 'herp derp we competed' that we all know and love.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT