ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Rick Stockstill LIVE radio show debuts Aug. 29

Hope everyone has fun at the boulevard tomorrow night letting coach know exactly how they feel about the state of the program. Great opportunity to let your voices be heard!

Anyone know the phone number to call and when?
Great question.

Reached out to the good folks at Blue Raider Network. They aren't doing call-ins at this time, but folks are welcome to show up to the Boulevard (question cards are available) or email blueraidernet@gmail.com.

This comes from me : I know A LOT are frustrated right now but keep any questions civil.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Question cards? So they screen no matter what. Pansies.

How about this..

"You are known throughout the college ranks as a well respected man of integrity and class. Do you feel it is being respectful to the school, students, alumni, and fans to remain in your position as Head Football Coach with a salary of nearly $1 million per year?
Given not only the overall middle .500 results, showing a stagnant program, but one that actually has a losing record the last 3yrs combined of 14-21, including this past weekend's blowout. Many would say integrity and class include knowing when to step aside and your time is over. Many feel your time should be over. Your response?"

Short, sweet and civil………

“Coach, after an honest assessment of your squad this year, will you share your thoughts on the chances of Blue Raider Football finally winning an outright conference title on the field?”

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Question cards? So they screen no matter what. Pansies.

How about this..

"You are known throughout the college ranks as a well respected man of integrity and class. Do you feel it is being respectful to the school, students, alumni, and fans to remain in your position as Head Football Coach with a salary of nearly $1 million per year?
Given not only the overall middle .500 results, showing a stagnant program, but one that actually has a losing record the last 3yrs combined of 14-21, including this past weekend's blowout. Many would say integrity and class include knowing when to step aside and your time is over. Many feel your time should be over. Your response?"
Looks good to me.

Maybe one Other followup - based on your results even against your peers in the conference, it looks like the game has passed you by. Do you agree?

Even if you give him a pass against out of conference teams (trying to be generous and say they will also beat us) the in conference record is weak. 61% winning record in 9 years, with only 1 winning record in the conference the past 5 years!

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
So leadership is essentially screening out any real public critical comments and questions. About par for the course.

This is another huge failing of leadership, a complete lack of any real accountability. In my opinion, this is a major factor in alienating the fanbase. I know it's a reason for my growing resentment of MT's leadership. To quote another great Clint Eastwood movie:

"don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

In my opinion, that is what the university leadership is doing by repeatedly refusing to publicly acknowledge that there are massive and severe problems with MT's athletics flagship program.

Reactions: Hop45
So short of being disruptive and generally acting like an a**hole, no real pointed questions or critical comments will be publicly allowed. I know I don't want to be that guy. I imagine most others feel the same as it will still likely be an exercise in futility as leadership seems committed to failure and now embarrassment, humiliation, and shame.

So most everyone will do exactly what has been happening for years, not attending, not spending, and generally not caring.

Just happened to catch opening of Monte on the radio just now. As I was already writing and posting, Monte said you can't tell people the sun is shining when it is dreary and raining. That was his main thrust about the game. He then mentioned something to the effect of needing to move dirt. At least partly right.

We all know that facility improvements have been needed. Yes, it was a bad loss, but this just wasn't some bad game or unfortunate loss. This wasn't a need to move dirt loss. This was something far deeper and at the same time far larger. This was a no self respect and no shame loss for all leaders involved.

Reactions: Hop45
Just happened to catch opening of Monte on the radio just now. As I was already writing and posting, Monte said you can't tell people the sun is shining when it is dreary and raining. That was his main thrust about the game. He then mentioned something to the effect of needing to move dirt. At least partly right.

We all know that facility improvements have been needed. Yes, it was a bad loss, but this just wasn't some bad game or unfortunate loss. This wasn't a need to move dirt loss. This was something far deeper and at the same time far larger. This was a no self respect and no shame loss for all leaders involved.
Monte Hale was born into this program and knows better. Besides his daily radio gig on WGNS he is the managing director at the Murfreesboro Post. They ran the same article recapping the JMU game that the Athletic department put out. I haven’t seen or heard him at any presser in years. Not saying he don’t care, but you’d think with his name recognition in the Boro, amount of time he’s put into this program he’d be a guy who at least asks some tough questions. Let the reader or listener decide.
But…nobody cares so we Waller in our mediocrity with no help from those who should have a voice.

Monte Hale was born into this program and knows better. Besides his daily radio gig on WGNS he is the managing director at the Murfreesboro Post. They ran the same article recapping the JMU game that the Athletic department put out. I haven’t seen or heard him at any presser in years. Not saying he don’t care, but you’d think with his name recognition in the Boro, amount of time he’s put into this program he’d be a guy who at least asks some tough questions. Let the reader or listener decide.
But…nobody cares so we Waller in our mediocrity with no help from those who should have a voice.
I can’t answer WHY Hale isn’t at press conference but he hasn’t been afraid to share his thoughts re : MT FB (I’ve seen former staffers express frustration too)

The radio show should be retitled. "What's the point?" He's a walking corpse with no energy, nothing new and sounds like he's asleep on the mic. The stadium is empty for a reason. I hope the social media dude reads this.

Go watch Jackson State's pregame speech video. Go watch Coach Prime talk. There's a reason he's getting 4 and 5 star athletes there. The energy and chemistry is there. They look way more pro than we do. BTW, they would also beat the brakes off of us right now. They play TSU this weekend.

The radio show should be retitled. "What's the point?" He's a walking corpse with no energy, nothing new and sounds like he's asleep on the mic. The stadium is empty for a reason. I hope the social media dude reads this.

Go watch Jackson State's pregame speech video. Go watch Coach Prime talk. There's a reason he's getting 4 and 5 star athletes there. The energy and chemistry is there. They look way more pro than we do. BTW, they would also beat the brakes off of us right now. They play TSU this weekend.

That right there is it in a nutshell. Even with Stock averaging .500 he could score some...key word some....goodwill by just being out there. Answering the tough questions from us, promoting the program, showing some energy that he cares and is trying to fix it. Deion calls out anyone, even the school, to help the players.

But we get crickets that "oh, everything is fine.".

It's like that meme from Naked Gun "Remain calm. Everything is fine".

That is exactly why we need someone with MAJOR energy in here once Stock is gone with an extremely outgoing personality that will go out and about in town.

This ^^^^^

So I wasted a lot of my time yesterday for whatever reason and took a deep dive into Stock's record.

Overall we all know he is 101-99 which is enough to fire a coach after 16 seasons, but here he is starting out his 17th season with one of his worst losses ever. If you remove FCS/1AA opponents, he has a record of 93-98. Against FBS teams that go onto win 6 games in that season his record is 28-70. There is a gap between P5 and G5, so I decided to remove all games vs. P5 opponents to look at that. His record vs. G5 is a not terrible 88-65. The one stat that really puts the cherry on top of the case to fire him is that he is 26-46 vs. G5 teams that go on to win 6 games. Versus all of FBS or only G5 teams, about 70% of his wins have come against teams that end the season with less than 6 wins. I did this via pen and paper, so I may have an error here and there, but shouldn't be too far off.

I sent this information to Massaro in an email and asked him to justify why he is still the coach. I have not heard anything back yet. If you can't even go .500 against G5 teams with 6 or more wins, you really have no business coaching at this level.

So I wasted a lot of my time yesterday for whatever reason and took a deep dive into Stock's record.

Overall we all know he is 101-99 which is enough to fire a coach after 16 seasons, but here he is starting out his 17th season with one of his worst losses ever. If you remove FCS/1AA opponents, he has a record of 93-98. Against FBS teams that go onto win 6 games in that season his record is 28-70. There is a gap between P5 and G5, so I decided to remove all games vs. P5 opponents to look at that. His record vs. G5 is a not terrible 88-65. The one stat that really puts the cherry on top of the case to fire him is that he is 26-46 vs. G5 teams that go on to win 6 games. Versus all of FBS or only G5 teams, about 70% of his wins have come against teams that end the season with less than 6 wins. I did this via pen and paper, so I may have an error here and there, but shouldn't be too far off.

I sent this information to Massaro in an email and asked him to justify why he is still the coach. I have not heard anything back yet. If you can't even go .500 against G5 teams with 6 or more wins, you really have no business coaching at this level.
#firestock

Appreciate your time. I remember just a short couple of years ago, Massaro tweeted an apology, sort of, to fans after another football debacle/loss @Army.

As of yesterday, crickets.

So who will come here to this dumpster? A retread( Herman, Chizic, or will they go hire a succesful FCS HC)

Appreciate your time. I remember just a short couple of years ago, Massaro tweeted an apology, sort of, to fans after another football debacle/loss @Army.

As of yesterday, crickets.

That was first game of 2020. We finished 3-6 (3-4) that year.

Since that game we are 10-13 (7-8) counting that Army game.

We beat UAB to finish the regular 2018 season. Since that win, we are 14-23 (10-14).

I'd like for him to explain how that hanging in there is going. Cause to me, it doesn't look like there is anything left to hang on to.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
So who will come here to this dumpster? A retread( Herman, Chizic, or will they go hire a succesful FCS HC)
It needs to be a successful FCS coach, or a P5 OC/DC that has a proven track record (like Jeff Lebby but he makes $1.8m and is at his alma mater, so that is a no) and is personable.

But even more important than that is the contract. We cannot afford to hire the wrong guy and be stuck with him because of some ridiculous buyout. We have to create an out for ourselves.

It needs to be a successful FCS coach, or a P5 OC/DC that has a proven track record (like Jeff Lebby but he makes $1.8m and is at his alma mater, so that is a no) and is personable.

But even more important than that is the contract. We cannot afford to hire the wrong guy and be stuck with him because of some ridiculous buyout. We have to create an out for ourselves.
Unfortunately, I don't have any faith in the admin to find the right hire.

If I was A.D. would start back-channel talks with Brian Bohannon of Kennesaw State, who has not had a losing season in 8 years plus 4 FCS Championship appearances. His current salary is $358,000 so pay should not be an issue.

FCS level.. you have Bobby P at Mo St, Hill at SIU, UTC HC, London at W&M, Trish at Elon( but he is a NE guy), Dan Enos at Maryland, Manny Diaz at PSU

I would rather gouge out my eyes than watch the Bohannon’s triple option come to Floyd Stadium.
I don't care what offense I am watching as long as the team wins. We need to start thinking realistically here. Massaro would either promote Schafer or hire someone with Carolina ties. Larry Fedora coached at North Carolina and Massaro is familiar with him, so that checks 2 boxes. Bohannon played and has coached all but one year within the state of Georgia, but that one year outside of Georgia was at Gardner-Webb in North Carolina. Petrino coached at WKU and has no ties to either of the Carolinas, so he is out. There is no evidence that Nick Hill at SIU has ever even stepped foot in the Carolinas, but he is 31-37 as a HC and that may keep him on the list.

In all seriousness I would look at someone like Kendal Briles. He is young and we could offer him a salary that matches or comes close to his $1.25 million he gets right now.

FCS level.. you have Bobby P at Mo St, Hill at SIU, UTC HC, London at W&M, Trish at Elon( but he is a NE guy), Dan Enos at Maryland, Manny Diaz at PSU
Who ever the candidates are when the time comes, if no changes are made at higher levels (new AD), it will be old cronies, has-been retreads, or unproven position coaches....

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45 and MTTim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT