ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Return of Kermit?

I don’t believe it. I am afraid KD would have to seriously change his coaching style to get players today and doubt he would.

I'm not sure that's the answer. I absolutely miss the program status from his time here. I mean Reggie, Giddy and the like were beyond fun to watch. And he is a heck of a nice guy and ambassador for the program. I also think he is a better coach of x's and o's than McD. But it isn't the same since he even was at Ole Miss. Can he manage the new way and more importantly, will his style of coaching work when a kid can just transfer out over getting fussed at?

Absolutely we need change. And it couldn't be worse than barely .400 we have now. And he or someone like him might be a good stop-gap, but not sure it is a long term solution. I do think he would be an asset to a new coach and the athletic department.

Not buying it either. However just looked at Kermit's twitter account. He was in the 'Boro 02/24 watching Kerry Hammonds cut down the nets at PCA. They're headed to the final four next. So he's definitely staying in touch with folks in Murfreesboro anyway.

If it does happen (which I don't think it will) at least we would see some effort on defense around here for the first time in a while.

When I was a kid, my dad told me never take a woman back if she leaves you for another man, it never works out. It’s solid advice.

I would venture to guess that holds true for coaches. Is there an example of a coach that was successful at school, left for a better opportunity somewhere else, failed, and then returned to his original school where he was successful again?

Reactions: GMClemson33
When I was a kid, my dad told me never take a woman back if she leaves you for another man, it never works out. It’s solid advice.

I would venture to guess that holds true for coaches. Is there an example of a coach that was successful at school, left for a better opportunity somewhere else, failed, and then returned to his original school where he was successful again?
Might not be the best example since it is a different sport but Bobby Petrino at Louisville comes to mind.

Might not be the best example since it is a different sport but Bobby Petrino at Louisville comes to mind.

He did pretty well on second stint, but no where near as good. He went from 32 games over .500 to 10 in the second stint.

Mack Brown has had a decent, 2nd run at UNC. Certainly not to the level of his first gig there. UNC is a basketball school, first & foremost. He was out of football for 5+ years before coming back to UNC. Plus, he’s now in his early 70’s.

That’s true.

I guess NIT or CBI would be better than what we have, even if he can’t recreate what he had the first time at the end.

I personally would prefer to go a different direction and have CKD be in the athletic department though.

I smell bovine excrement.

But, if this were true, I think it is the wrong move. He should be evaluated alongside other coaches for the HC spot.

He left for 1. Money 2. Frustration at the selection process for mid major schools (my opinion).

I’m glad he got paid. But Kermit took that job and moved on. We should too unless he is the absolute best candidate we could get.

I don’t think Kermit would want the job unless he truly believed he could return MT back to a national program and NCAA tournament success.

I trust Kermit’s judgement either way on this one. If he takes the job or he doesn’t. He knows what it takes to win here and I just can’t see him taking the job for shits and giggles or a little money.

I don’t think it will happen though. I think these idiots extend McDevitt and more pain is in our future.

I don’t think it will happen though. I think these idiots extend McDevitt and more pain is in our future.

Did someone on the GoMiddle staff submit a FOIA regarding CNM’s contract? I just have a feeling he already got an extension before this season.

Did someone on the GoMiddle staff submit a FOIA regarding CNM’s contract? I just have a feeling he already got an extension before this season.
I could be wrong but, his pressers after many a bad loss never give the appearance of a coach whose hair is on fire over job security. And I can’t recall his teams ever being locked out of their dressing room because they weren’t worthy and forced to dress for practices in another PE/Intramural men’s room somewhere in the bowels of Murphy Center.

FWIW, I think having Kermit in some position of leadership would not be a bad thing. The community rallied around him and his family. I think he could really do some good work making in roads that are not X and O related. Would he be interested? I don't know, but the possibility of Kermit ever being in that position is intriguing.

I am guessing he was extended beyond this year, but I don’t follow recruiting and that one piece of info isn’t worth paying.

I will see if he’s back past June.

I really don’t follow basketball, but do want to see MT succeed. Did anyone determine NM‘s contract status? Could this be his last year?

What's the feeling towards Donnie Tyndall? I believe it was 2014 that he was given a 10 year suspension for infractions. He's been coaching some great teams at Chipola Junior College the last 4 years.
Now that he's served his 10 year suspension I imagine someone will give him another opportunity. Should he get another opportunity? Or still considered too dirty?

I really don’t follow basketball, but do want to see MT succeed. Did anyone determine NM‘s contract status?

This site did and they chose to put it on the premium board. You can pay $9.99 a month or $99 annually to see. You can also submit a FOIA request if you still live in Tennessee here.

I’m one of those who doesn’t care enough to pay $9.99 to see if the MTSU “braintrust” has extended a guy with a losing record. Would I be shocked if they have? Not at all. Would I be shocked that those same folks chose not to make it public? Not at all.
This is a link to the last one out there that expires this coming June.
Link: Free copy

I’m one of those who doesn’t care enough to pay $9.99 to see if the MTSU “braintrust” has extended a guy with a losing record. Would I be shocked if they have? Not at all. Would I be shocked that those same folks chose not to make it public? Not at all.
This is a link to the last one out there that expires this coming June.
Link: Free copy
That was the last public copy, but obviously they are not letting him coach into a contract lapse. That would be recruiting suicide.

I get it, the publishers here are trying to get business and keep things premium for business purposes. If I really followed recruiting or had to get news/tidbits a little early, it’s worth paying. I am not one of those people, so for me, it would be paying $100/ annually to support having a place to talk MT stuff. I personally would be more inclined to give $10 annually if everyone did it and we all had the same access to talk, to articles and to a functional in game chat board. Thats what my other school’s site did. But each board has its own model. I am not paying for access to something that is free FOIA and should already be publicly released (shame on everyone in the athletic department). I digress….

Back on the topic, Kermit would be an upgrade on CNM, but I am not sure he would be as successful as before. We may be stuck with CNM beyond this year.

The Donnie Tyndall mention is a great thought. He's been successful everywhere he's gone, but he's likely on a few programs wish list.

Kermit might be able to repeat his prior success if he gathers the same staff that worked here before.

That said, I'd rather have Gregg Marshall.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Marshall would be a big time hire, but he has stated he is enjoying being out of coaching plus I cannot see CM hiring someone with that baggage.

Would be against the grain type of hire for him.

Reactions: ewglenn and MTFAN61
Josh Schertz at 48, & with a contract of only $365,000 annually will be gone from Indiana St by end of year. He will be a tremendous get for someone looking for a quality "up & coming" coach.

Josh Schertz at 48, & with a contract of only $365,000 annually will be gone from Indiana St by end of year. He will be a tremendous get for someone looking for a quality "up & coming" coach.
wasn't he a D2 coach before Indiana st?

Schertz would be a heck of a hire, but sadly is totally opposite of CM's mantra.

He's stated multiple times he likes continuity and wants someone who wants to be here long term. I personally hate that approach, especially nowadays.

I've said before, if a coach leaves after 3yrs for a P5, so what. Let them. It doesn't affect recruting like it used to due to the portal. Players are only here 2-3 yrs themselves anyway. Has CM ever hired someone that's been at multiple lower stops on their way up? Ever?

Is it better to hire a coach who is here 3yrs then hired away after he wins us two champs and a NCAA win, or one who is here for 6yrs or more with no champs and only a few CBI wins? You think Troy FB regrets Brown and Sumrall just cause they left? Will FAU regret May if he leaves? Or JMU losing Byington to WVU? Of course not. They wouldn't give up those turnarounds, great seasons, and conference championships for middle of the road consistency, and we shouldn't either.

From what I've heard, Gregg Marshall was a finalist for the job when we chose Kermit. IIRC, Marshall really rubbed Massaro the wrong way and felt he was way too cocky.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT