ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Breakdown

Sommy

All Conference
Aug 2, 2001
So who do you like? Who is the best of the bunch? Who was a questionable signing? Any stubs in this group?

** softball has been lobed to Wiley ** - seriously, he usually has a pretty good pulse on this thing.

Some thoughts:

I really like Bailey, he's a day 1 starter.

The OLs we signed look like a great group - Fannin, Brewer, Roth, Ford.

I like the length of the DE's - Render and Philpots all have that big, tall frame that can add weight and hopefully keep quickness. These are the kinds of guys that grow into monster DEs. Put 30lbs on Manciel and he's a perfect 3-tech.

I think Upton will play next year if he's 100%.

A couple of guys look like lottery tickets to me - Urzua, DesAnderson (blazing, but super-small), Durrah.

Size of the corners and the fact that the DB depth was clearly addressed. (Even better if Beasley qualifies!)

Like the RBs, especially Garnett. Cool that he was getting attention from SEC schools after his junior year. Intrigued to see how he and Upton heal. If our RBs don't work out, it appears we at least have some solid slot candidates.

My favorite position is defensive line, so I can't help but get excited about the four that signed. Hope we found a beast to pressure the quarterback.

Originally posted by RaiderDoug:
Some thoughts:

I really like Bailey, he's a day 1 starter.

The OLs we signed look like a great group - Fannin, Brewer, Roth, Ford.

I like the length of the DE's - Render and Philpots all have that big, tall frame that can add weight and hopefully keep quickness. These are the kinds of guys that grow into monster DEs. Put 30lbs on Manciel and he's a perfect 3-tech.

I think Upton will play next year if he's 100%.

A couple of guys look like lottery tickets to me - Urzua, DesAnderson (blazing, but super-small), Durrah.
Doug,

How many years of eligibility do our JUCO signees have? It'd be nice if we could keep them all for at least three years. Thanks in advance.

--BBJ

Sorry fellas, I did mean Heard.

Beasley has 3 years of eligibility. Believe the rest of the "jucos" have 2.

Beasley has 3, the rest have 2 I think.

If the player isn't qualified out of high school and heads to a JUCO (bad grades), then he has to graduate with an associates degree (2 years/60+ hours) to be eligible for FBS.

If the player chooses to go to a JUCO but was fully qualified out of high school (doesn't like his offers, some other reason, etc, etc), then he can transfer in after 1 year and is fully qualified.

Originally posted by MTsumner92:
Hey Doug, do you believe this class will make a more talented team?

I would think so.

One thing Stock has done pretty consistently is get these little known Sunbelt recruits to produce. I can't count how many times on signing day's past that I would try and find someone out about a recruit and I literally would find either nothing or that their only offers were small FCS schools. And yet those guys would turn into multi-year quality starters.

It's a nice change to see that almost all of our guys from this class have had some other offers from CUSA or other FBS schools.

It's not a stretch to say that this possibly has been the most highly recruited class we've signed under Stock.

Whether that shows up on the field - time will tell.
This post was edited on 2/9 8:04 AM by RaiderDoug

Originally posted by MTsumner92:
In other words...are these incoming 24 more talented than the last 24 graduates, transfers, etc.
Well, according to the FBS coaching staff from the schools we beat out, yes.

I really like the Philpots kid along with Vernon Walker and Myles Harges. All 3 will be starters for us eventually, guaranteed. (unless grades or arrested) - Peter Bailey obviously will play too. Dont sleep on Chris Melton either. Huge ceiling there.

On the offensive side of the ball I really think Upton will push for playing time as a true freshman. He could be the sleeper/steal of this class. Huge upside with DeAndre Ford as well. Could be a blue chip left tackle.

Something we don't usually discuss, but I'm also going to comment on who I think will be "busts" and/or nonfactors. (Attention parents of players, please don't take this personally, if it makes you feel any better I couldn't get beyond high school ball myself, so kudos to your son for signing with a Division 1 school).....

We'll start with Desmond Anderson. Really Stockstill? Considering the talent we have at RB, I do NOT understand this signing. Kid is undersized with only moderate speed. Coastal Carolina was his only other offer....Not an FBS caliber player in my opinion. Not at all.

Jonathan Roth - I just don't see it. Undersized, slow, poor technique. Has no business playing offense so will surely be on the defensive side. He could potentially (very unlikely) grow into a high motor defensive end but I really doubt it. Again, Just doesn't look like an FBS athlete to me.

Time will tell!

Originally posted by sWiley:

We'll start with Desmond Anderson. Really Stockstill? Considering the talent we have at RB, I do NOT understand this signing. Kid is undersized with only moderate speed. Coastal Carolina was his only other offer....Not an FBS caliber player in my opinion. Not at all.

Jonathan Roth - I just don't see it. Undersized, slow, poor technique. Has no business playing offense so will surely be on the defensive side. He could potentially (very unlikely) grow into a high motor defensive end but I really doubt it. Again, Just doesn't look like an FBS athlete to me.

Time will tell!
Anderson does look incredibly tiny in his film. He looks like he has some good speed though. FWIW, Anderson seemed to committ within a few hours of us losing Henderson to Memphis, so one can deduce that Anderson was the backup plan.

Roth - are you sure you're looking at the right guy?

Roth was reported at anywhere between 6'5" 275 and 290 - that's plenty of size for the OL, and way too big for "growing into a high motor DE"

I just watched his film on Hudl.

He switched from DT to OT from junior to senior. Both film looked good to me (what film doesn't?). The dude looks like a mauler (although anyone 275 is going to look like one against high school kids).

But, you're right, there is a big size difference between the junior film and senior year film. As a DL he looked athletic, but didn't seem to have that FBS size.

He looked to me to be every bit of 275+ as a senior OT. I don't know if he's ever going to be one of those 320lb bulldozers, but he could get to 300 and he's got decent quickness.

I think he's a good fit for our finesse running game - alot of his film shows him getting to the 2nd level of the defense to make blocks.

Also, Knoxville Fulton is a great place to start a pipeline.
This post was edited on 2/11 9:31 AM by RaiderDoug

FWIW, everyone's height and weight on the commitment list has been updated to what they checked in at during their official visits. Those are legit measurements.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by cbow0328:
FWIW, everyone's height and weight on the commitment list has been updated to what they checked in at during their official visits. Those are legit measurements.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Looking at that chart, DeAndre Ford may be the biggest player we've ever had here at Middle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT