ADVERTISEMENT

Question: "What does the Bible say about homosexuality? Is homosexuality a sin?"

bigbadjohn45

All American
Jul 9, 2010
Question: "What does the Bible say about homosexuality? Is homosexuality a sin?"

Answer:
The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When people continue in sin and unbelief, God “gives them over” to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God. 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that homosexual “offenders” will not inherit the kingdom of God.

God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The Bible tells us that people become homosexuals because of sin (Romans 1:24-27) and ultimately because of their own choice. A person may be born with a greater susceptibility to homosexuality, just as some people are born with a tendency to violence and other sins. That does not excuse the person’s choosing to sin by giving in to sinful desires. If a person is born with a greater susceptibility to anger/rage, does that make it right for him to give into those desires? Of course not! The same is true with homosexuality.

However, the Bible does not describe homosexuality as a “greater” sin than any other. All sin is offensive to God. Homosexuality is just one of the many things listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 that will keep a person from the kingdom of God. According to the Bible, God’s forgiveness is just as available to a homosexual as it is to an adulterer, idol worshipper, murderer, thief, etc. God also promises the strength for victory over sin, including homosexuality, to all those who will believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Philippians 4:13). Recommended Resources: What Does the Bible Really Teach About Homosexuality? by Kevin DeYoung and 101 Frequently Asked Questions About Homosexuality by Mike Haley and Logos Bible Software.

Related Topics:

What does the Bible say about gay marriage / same sex marriage?

What does the New Testament say about homosexuality?

If homosexuality is a sin, why didn’t Jesus ever mention it?

Is same-sex attraction a sin?

What does the Bible say about being a lesbian? Does the Bible mention lesbianism?

Return to:

Questions about Sin

Return to: GotQuestions.org Home

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/homosexuality-Bible.html#ixzz3eZzmR79J

Can Christians Still Speak Up?

Passage: Romans 6

Key Verses: “What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?” Romans 6:1-3

The article grieved my soul. My 82 year-old pastor Dr. Charles Stanley was once again being attacked because of his convictions. An entire group of Israel supporters spoke up because of Dr. Stanley’s stances concerning homosexuality, threatening to boycott the event where he would be honored for his long support of the state of Israel. The issue? Dr. Stanley’s past statements that homosexuality is a sin.

The article proceeded to explain that the Southern Jewish Resource Network for Gender and Sexual Diversity protested the nomination because Dr. Stanley’s views are “incompatible with Jewish ethics and values”.

Pause. That statement alone is too hard to grasp.

I hate to use my weekly blog time to discuss this issue, but enough is enough. As far as I know, we still live in a country where freedom of speech is supposed to abound - although I dare say that Christians have been increasingly losing that right. Unless pastors, writers and speakers choose to come to the middle in the issue of homosexuality, we are labeled as bigots, intolerant, old-fashioned, self-righteous and plain hateful towards the gay people.

Oh, my goodness, does anyone else feel like screaming? I do, I do!!!

I know some gays. I love them. I have invited them to have dinner at my house. Like Jesus, I believe we are to share His love for them, yes, yes and yes! I love them as I love the prostitutes, or the people who have sex before marriage, or the drug users of the world. But, wait a second, when is it that my Bible started saying that I am ALSO to tell them that it’s ok for them to keep on sinning? Where did the Bible say that grace is supposed to be used to go beyond covering our sins to overlooking them? Someone please show me that verse. When did we tear off Romans 1, Leviticus 18:22, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, among other passages from the Bible?

I don’t get it, I don’t. From where I stand, everyone else who hates Christians is the bigot here.

I happen to speak as someone who has sat under Dr. Stanley’s teaching for 15 years now. I know what the man believes. I know he is not an opinion-oriented pastor, much less a crowd pleasing one. I love him for that. One of the reasons I believe his teaching is because he backs everything up with Scripture.

I really don’t want to hear what pastors think. I care what my Bible says. And as far as ANY sexual immorality, the Bible is clear from Genesis to Revelation: God is holy and He hates all sins. For some reason, some of us have decided to put homosexuality in this holy bubble within our social and religious circles, and anyone who says that it is wrong is attacked beyond measure.

According to the Bible, sin is sin. Therefore, homosexuality is not greater than any other sexual sin. And yes, I am sure that Jesus walked among and showed the same love for the homosexuals of His day. I have no question that He extended the same loving hands to them as He did to the woman at the well, to the woman of the alabaster box, or to Zacchaeus. We are called to be like Christ and love all people, because we have no right to judge anyone as better than ourselves. We are all the same at the foot of the cross. But I also have no doubt that His message after forgiving each sinner was and is still the same:

“Go and leave your life of sin.” John 8:11 (these are Jesus’ words, by the way).

Or can you find anywhere in Scripture where, after forgiving the adulterer woman, Jesus told her to go ahead and jump in bed with the next man? I don’t think so.

Do you see it coming?

“Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them.” Romans 16:17

“For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4 I see the day when my blog will be blocked because of what I believe. I see the day when pastors will not be able to speak up God’s Truth from their pulpits.

I see the day when churches will not be able to receive their taxexempt status anymore because they won’t officiate homosexual weddings. Do you see that day coming? You better open your eyes if you don’t. The Bible speaks of that day (1 Peter 1-22), and I see it approaching at lightning speed.

Wake up, Christians. Enough is enough. Either we choose to believe our Bibles in its entirety, or maybe we should just start playing golf on Sundays. It’s time to stop playing church and BE His church: Loving the sinner. Hating the sin.

It’s time we start telling it like it is, just as all the other religions and social groups do. It is our right until they say it isn’t anymore.

The window is closing and you better hurry up and stand.

http://www.soaringwithhim.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Can-Christians-still-speak-up-05.13.152.pdf

Reactions: bigbadjohn45
Brief-Supreme Court

SUMMARY OF ARGUMENT
Unfortunately, in their zeal to advance and affirm same-sex marriage, many state actors have ignored or violated the very free speech principles that facilitated free and open dialogue on this once-settled question. As a cautionary tale of a road to potential tyranny, this brief details many incidents — personal and systemic; domestic and foreign — where religious dissenters from same-sex marriage have been silenced by state actors and thereby denied access to the marketplace of ideas.

A decision from this Court imposing same-sex marriage nationwide would inevitably exacerbate these conflicts, and inexorably result in additional violations of free speech rights. And that — in addition to all of the reasons provided by the respondents and their other amici — is a powerful reason to affirm the Sixth Circuit. In reaching its decision, this Court should reaffirm that the Free Speech Clause of the First Amendment protects religious dissenters who disagree with state recognized same-sex marriage and to reaffirm the importance of free debate and free inquiry in this democratic Republic.

Click the web address below to read this legal brief to the U.S. Supreme Court against legalizing same-sex marriage.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Obergef..._and_Scholars_Concerned_About_Free_Speech.pdf

Flash, thanks for that link to Dr. Stanley. No doubt, the Scripture is crystal-clear concerning how God views the sin of homosexuality.

Lynn, you are correct that divorce is a sin but suggesting that divorce is just as unacceptable to God as homosexuality is injudicious. Divorce for most people is a one-time occurrence that they seek healing and recovery from. People who go through a divorce, know that it's not God's will so they grieve because their divorce hurts them. But for most homosexuals, they say homosexuality isn't a sin and choose to live this lifestyle continuously while believing that it is something to celebrate. So there is a clear difference between the sin of divorce and the sin of homosexuality. With the former, the divorcée and divorcé have repented their part in the divorce and have allowed the Gospel to rebuild and restore them. With the latter, the homosexual has accepted a gay lifestyle and is actively living in sin, claiming that God endorses it as we saw last week with the ruling on same-sex marriage. But don't kid yourself, just because the White House was lit up with rainbow colors doesn't mean that God has changed his mind on homosexuality.

"Homosexual behavior is a sin as is divorce. It is hypocritical to condemn one but not the other."

Lynn, not sure what you mean by it being "hypocritical to condemn one but not the other." Who exactly is doing that? Flash and I are pointing out what God has to say about the sin of homosexuality in Scripture, and are relating it to current events, e.g., the recent Supreme Court decision.

God has already judged the sin of homosexuality. Flash and I, as fellow Christians, are merely in agreement with God.

Flash,

1 John 5:17, King James Version (KJV)

"All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death."

You are correct in that both divorce and homosexuality are sin according to God. You're also correct to illustrate that there's a vast difference in engaging in a one-time occurrence (divorce) that one can repent of and seek forgiveness and healing, as opposed to living a lifestyle (homosexuality) that is an "abomination" to God according to His Word.

The key word is repent--which means to change or to turn away from. It literally means to change your way of living and thinking. I think the following verse sums it up very nicely:

Romans 12:2, King James Version (KJV)

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

BBJ, I believe that in his research on Dr. Stanley, Lynn saw where he is divorced and found this as an opportunity to question his moral character. Although we are all sinners, I honestly believe some sins are much worse than others. I will confess that in my lifetime, I have been drunk more than once but does that make me a hypocrite for criticizing fans who get wasted at games and yell profanities at the opposing team? I realize that modern liberals were raised on the idea that you must not judge anyone or anything but the truth is not all things are equal (click the second web address below). I personally believe that adultery is a terrible sin and would never commit it. But like most men I have lusted in my heart but not with my body. Some may say that adultery of the heart is the same as adultery of the body but I just don't believe that it is or that would make all men adulterers. BBJ, do you have any thoughts on this?

Why Did Dr. Charles Stanley Get a Divorce?

Dr. Charles Stanley is a prominent religious figure. He and his wife Anna divorced in 2000 after several reconciliation attempts. There were several reasons why Dr. Stanley and his wife chose to go their separate ways.

Did Dr. Charles Stanley divorce his wife?
Dr. Stanley's wife was the plaintiff in the case, meaning she was the one to request the divorce. Because of this, Dr. Stanley was the defendant and was not the person who asked for a divorce decree to be entered. He did not want to separate from his wife.

What was the reason Dr. Stanley's wife chose to get a divorce?
The details of the divorce were not made public. However, the speculation into the Dr. Charles Stanley divorce settlement indicated that Dr. Stanley's wife perhaps simply felt that the marriage was broken. There were also childhood difficulties discussed, but it was not made clear whether that meant difficulties in having children or difficulties stemming from the childhood of Dr. Stanley or his wife.

What were the other concerns that led up to Dr. Stanley's divorce?
Several other factors possibly led up to the Dr. Charles Stanley divorce. These included two separate divorce filings that were withdrawn. One of these was in 1992 and the other in 1995. The first divorce filing was amended to a legal separation, and the second divorce filing was withdrawn in an attempt to reconcile.

How was Dr. Stanley's religious standing affected by his divorce?
Because the Dr. Charles Stanley divorce made headlines, everyone in the religious community knew about it. Surprisingly, Dr. Stanley is still a very public figure where religion is concerned. He does not seem to have lost followers or respect due to the divorce.

Because of the lack of public detail in the divorce proceedings and settlement, there is only speculation as to why Dr. Stanley and his wife divorced. However, the possibility that the marriage was broken and not able to be fixed is the most likely assumption. Dr. Stanley has seen very few negative effects in the religious community as a result of his divorce.

http://christianity.answers.com/church-leadership/why-did-dr-charles-stanley-get-a-divorce

http://commonsensegovernment.com/the-key-to-understanding-liberal-thought/

Flash, I wasn't even aware that he was divorced. I'm still not sure who Lynn thought was being hypocritical--or why--as he hasn't responded. I have no idea.

Flash, I might add that both you & I were criticized for being "judgmental" with regard to a previous discussion about our former kicker, who revealed he lives a homosexual lifestyle. To set the record straight, nothing could be further from the truth. We are commanded by our Lord to love the sinner yet hate the sin. As previously stated, God has already judged the sin of homosexuality, and you & I stand in agreement with our Lord.

I have never been married.

Is ongoing adultery worse than ongoing homosexual sex? Both are unpermitted.

Matthew 5:31-32
31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Luke 16:18
18 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

BBJ, with respect to being judgmental, I admit that I often condemn the poor moral choices that some people make but I don't always use the Bible as a basis for my condemnation. One example of this was when I was stationed at Ft. Campbell back in 1974. As people know, many G.I.'s can have fairly loose morals when it comes to sex. As a morally conservative person, I once had a conversation with another soldier about the subject of adultery. Although he was not married, and neither was I, he questioned my stand on adultery. He asked, "Do you mean that if you were married and a beautiful woman wanted to have sex with you that you would turn her down?" Without hesitation, I said "yes" and told him that if you cheat on the woman you love (your wife) then you would cheat anyone. The next day to my surprise, he came to me and told me that he had thought about what I had said and agreed that I was right. Although I have always been a spiritual person, I didn't use the Bible as a reason not to cheat on your spouse but made my argument based on simple right and wrong moral judgement. If liberals and libertarians want to say that I'm being judgmental then that's fine with me. And the day that I cannot uphold my conservative standards and values is the day that liberals can feel free to judge me for my hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Lynn, then I guess your "hypocritical to condemn one but not the other" comment was obviously aimed at Dr. Stanley as you apparently deem him as guilty of "ongoing adultery"...even though you have no idea of the circumstances of what happened. Your attempt to justify the homosexual lifestyle doesn't wash with what God says about it. Furthermore, whether someone is in "ongoing adultery" or not is still mutually exclusive--any way you look at it--from the sinful lifestyle of homosexuality. Nice try.

Flash, I applaud the bold stand you took while talking with that soldier. That took courage and conviction. Not many would be able to do so. Sounds like it had an impact as he came back and agreed that what you said was right.

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you." (2 Corinthians 6:17, KJV)

Thanks BBJ. As a follow-up to the subject of judging others who make poor moral choices, I would like to point out that I can be critical regardless of political views or affiliation. If you recall, I was very critical of Newt Gingrich because he abandoned his first wife when she had cancer. Although some can make the argument that Gingrich is more conservative than Romney, I stated that I favored Romney over Gingrich in the last Republican presidential primary for this reason alone and made the point that you don't talk like a conservative and behave like a Democrat. I'm sorry Newt but I can't forgive you for what you did to your first wife.

Flash, isn't forgiveness great?

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9, KJV)

BBJ, yes receiving forgiveness from the Lord is one of the graces of God. Two summers ago, a neighbor of mine lost a son from pancreatic cancer. She had lost another son many years ago so this was especially traumatic for her. During his time in hospice, I tried to console her by reminding her of the peace that heaven would surely offer her son. She confessed to me that she had done a lot of very bad things in her life but was grateful for the Lord's forgiveness. I told her that it really doesn't matter what she has done in the past but the important thing is she asked God to forgive her. Some Christians who have lived a moral and righteous life may think that it is not fair that sinners who have committed many sins are still able to get to heaven after repentance but as I told her, our asking God for forgiveness, and being truly repentant is our way to repair a strained relationship with the author of our salvation, Jesus Christ.

Two men were crucified at the same time as Jesus, one on his right hand and one on his left (Matthew 27:38, Mark 15:27-28,32, Luke 23:33, John 19:18), which Mark interprets as fulfillment of the prophecy of Isaiah 53:12. According to Matthew and Mark, respectively, both of the "thieves" mocked Jesus (Matthew 27:44, Mark 15:32); Luke however, mentions that:

39 Now one of the criminals hanging there reviled Jesus, saying, "Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us." 40 The other, however, rebuking him, said in reply, "Have you no fear of God, for you are subject to the same condemnation? 41 And indeed, we have been condemned justly, for the sentence we received corresponds to our crimes, but this man has done nothing criminal." 42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 43 He replied to him, "Amen I say to you today you will be with me in Paradise." 23:39-43

Last edited:
My post was directed at those who condemn gay marriage but stay silent about heterosexual divorce which leads to, most of the time, adultery. I think it is blasphemy for practicing homosexuals and heterosexual adulterers to attend church until they stop said practice.

That said, it is NOT my place to prohibit either. Who people choose to have sex with is between them and the Lord.

Find scripture stating that society should prohibit adultery or homosexual marriage. I don't believe you will find it.

Lynn, I find it tremendously disingenuous that you claim that you directed your post "at those," when you clearly were aiming your comment at Dr. Stanley. Why else would you bring divorce into the conversation? Nowhere was divorce mentioned in this discussion until you brought it up.

And yes, God specifically condemns both adultery and homosexuality, and He also clearly defines that marriage is intended to be between one man and one woman.

God has never called Christians to establish a physical kingdom ruled by His laws, commands, and statutes. The mission of Christians is to share the gospel of salvation with the whole world (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8). When people are saved, the Holy Spirit will begin the work in them of changing their lives into conformity with God’s Word (Philippians 1:6; 1 Thessalonians 2:13). It is only when a society or culture is populated with born-again Christians that the society is changed, one heart and one life at a time. That is why Christ put an end to the Old Testament Law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:24-26; Ephesians 2:15) and instead instituted the law of Christ (Matthew 22:37-40; Galatians 6:2). The law of love and grace is what is needed in the hearts of men who, once their hearts are changed, can corporately effect change in their society.

I didn't know Stanley was divorced until it was pointed out. His divorce is between he, his wife, and the Lord. None of my business. Does Stanley believe that homosexual sex is a bigger sin than adultery?

Lynn, I still find it curious that you injected divorce into the conversation when no mention was made previously. Nevertheless, I'll take you at your word that you didn't know. I have no reason to doubt you.

Quite frankly, I had no idea he was divorced either until Flash mentioned it. And I agree, Dr. Stanley's divorce is between he, his ex-wife, and the Lord. None of my business either.

Regarding your question about whether Dr. Stanley believes homosexual sex is "a bigger sin than adultery," I seriously doubt it. Dr. Stanley knows Scripture too well to believe that.

However, I would like to pull a quote from one of Flash's posts (from earlier in this thread) that addresses your question:

"I really don’t want to hear what pastors think. I care what my Bible says. And as far as ANY sexual immorality, the Bible is clear from Genesis to Revelation: God is holy and He hates all sins."

Question: "Is it possible to be a gay Christian?"

Answer:
“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10). There is a tendency to declare homosexuality as the worst of all sins. While it is undeniable, biblically speaking, that homosexuality is immoral and unnatural (Romans 1:26-27), in no sense does the Bible describe homosexuality as an unforgivable sin. Nor does the Bible teach that homosexuality is a sin Christians will never struggle against.

Perhaps that is the key phrase in the question of whether it is possible to be a gay Christian: “struggle against.” It is possible for a Christian to struggle with homosexual temptations. Many homosexuals who become Christians have ongoing struggles with homosexual feelings and desires. Some strongly heterosexual men and women have experienced a “spark” of homosexual interest at some point in their lives. Whether or not these desires and temptations exist does not determine whether a person is a Christian. The Bible is clear that no Christian is sinless (1 John 1:8,10). While the specific sin / temptation varies from one Christian to another, all Christians have struggles with sin, and all Christians sometimes fail in those struggles (1 Corinthians 10:13).

What differentiates a Christian’s life from a non-Christian’s life is the struggle against sin. The Christian life is a progressive journey of overcoming the “acts of the flesh” (Galatians 5:19-21) and allowing God’s Spirit to produce the “fruit of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:22-23). Yes, Christians sin, sometimes horribly. Sadly, sometimes Christians are indistinguishable from non-Christians. However, a true Christian will always repent, will always eventually return to God, and will always resume the struggle against sin. But the Bible gives no support for the idea that a person who perpetually and unrepentantly engages in sin can indeed be a Christian. Notice 1 Corinthians 6:11, "And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

First Corinthians 6:9-10 lists sins that, if indulged in continuously, identify a person as not being redeemed—not being a Christian. Often, homosexuality is singled out from this list. If a person struggles with homosexual temptations, that person is presumed to be unsaved. If a person actually engages in homosexual acts, that person is definitely thought to be unsaved. However, the same assumptions are not made, at least not with the same emphasis, regarding other sins in the list: fornication (pre-marital sex), idolatry, adultery, thievery, covetousness, alcoholism, slander, and deceit. It is inconsistent, for example, to declare those guilty of pre-marital sex as “disobedient Christians,” while declaring homosexuals definitively non-Christians.

Is it possible to be a gay Christian? If the phrase “gay Christian” refers to a person who struggles against homosexual desires and temptations – yes, a “gay Christian” is possible. However, the description “gay Christian” is not accurate for such a person, since he/she does not desire to be gay, and is struggling against the temptations. Such a person is not a “gay Christian,” but rather is simply a struggling Christian, just as there are Christians who struggle with fornication, lying, and stealing. If the phrase “gay Christian” refers to a person who actively, perpetually, and unrepentantly lives a homosexual lifestyle – no, it is not possible for such a person to truly be a Christian. Recommended Resources: What Does the Bible Really Teach About Homosexuality? by Kevin DeYoung and 101 Frequently Asked Questions About Homosexuality by Mike Haley and Logos Bible Software.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/gay-Christian.html#ixzz3gdlvwrIj

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT