ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Flash and Mike

bigbadjohn45

All American
Jul 9, 2010
Question: "Are Jews saved because they are God's chosen people? Will Jews go to Heaven even if they do not trust in Jesus?"

Guys, this is a question that I've pondered for years, but I still don't have a definitive answer for. I did read an article (see link below) that I believe makes some very logical points.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jews-saved.html

At any rate, check out the article and let me know your thoughts on this question when you get the chance.

Thanks to you both.

--BBJ

BBJ, you pose an interesting question and is something that I have thought of quite often. Just recently I read a lot of opinions on the Internet as to why Jews are so liberal. The reason I have an interest in this topic is because I have a brother who married a Jew and converted to Judaism. Upon my research, I found that half of American Jews are secular and interestingly liberalism is the religion of secular Jews. Whether you are one of God's chosen people or not, I find it very difficult to believe that an atheist Jew will make it to heaven. I will have more to say about this later when I have more time.

They are not saved...Ask yourself when Jesus is talking to the disciples and referring to the scriptures, which scriptures is he referring too? Why, its OT scriptures. Before Christ, it was faith in the coming Christ; after the crucifixion, it was faith in the crucified and risen Christ. Same faith in the same person, it only differs based on timeline. The OT points to the Gospel - The Christ just like the NT.

Being Jewish doesn't warrant salvation anymore than being a gentile. Again look at the disciples, they were Jewish, ask yourself when they became Christians, it wasn't being born Jewish. In the Gospel of Mark Chapter 6, when Jesus feeds the 5000 - this was a Jewish audience. In Mark, Chapter 8, the 4000 was a gentile audience. There is one Gospel and its for ALL peoples. God reveals and gives faith to those HE chooses.

In today's times, many religions, including the Jewish Faith, are works based - basically if they do certain things (keep the commandments) they will get to heaven. The problem is the Bible (including the OT) does not teach this. As you read the Sermon on the mount (again to a Jewish audience); Christ clearly states you can't get to heaven on your own - you must have Faith - something that only God can give you. Every time I study these passages I realize I am doomed without Christ - this goes for everyone. And in many other passages, God blinds the minds and hearts of many Jews - for the most part that despite all the amazing things Jesus did they wanted more - special signs. Read March 8:11-13. Keep in mind sometimes the English translation doesn't quite show the aggression the Pharisee had in questioning Jesus.

I could go on and on...but these are some of the key points.

Well stated Mike. Here is a video that echo's your sentiments (see link).

Transcript:

I really appreciate the questions you're sending in. Another question is
simply will Jews go to heaven? I'd like to address that. Well, not
automatically. The scripture tells us that flesh and blood will not inherit
the Kingdom of God. You can't just get in just because you're a descendant
of Abraham or in the bloodline of Abraham. It's only those that be of faith
are blessed with faithful Abraham and those that be of Jesus Christ are the
same as the children of Abraham.

Scripture tells us that in Romans chapter 9 and in first Peter also, that I
lay in Zion, a stumbling stone, a rock of offense. Those who believe in Him
will not be put to shame, but many people will be because they stumble at
the stumbling stone, who is Christ Jesus. No, even Jews have to believe on
the Lord Jesus in order to get to heaven. You cannot get in through good
works. We're saved by grace through faith. It's not a works list, any man
should boast. You're not just getting in just because you're a Jew. Not
just getting in because you're a descendant in the lineage of Abraham. You
must be born again. You must have confessed Jesus Christ as Lord over your
life. The scripture tells us that even though the children of Israel are as
the sand of the seashore only a remnant will be saved. That remnant are
those who have given their lives to Christ. That's what it's all about.

So, Jews automatically do not get in. The Pope doesn't automatically get
in. The reverend, the bishop, the apostle prophet, evangelists, all of
these titles and handles and cliches, the doctor and all this, nobody gets
in except by way of confession of Jesus Christ as Lord over their life.
That's how you get in. Jesus is the only way. You can't do it; flesh and
blood will not inherit the Kingdom. You must go through Jesus Christ. Will
Jews go to heaven? Not automatically. Only if those Jews have confessed
Jesus Christ as Lord, then they're in.

Will Jews Go To Heaven?

A key point in context....being a Jew in Abraham or Moses day is something entirely different than being a Jew today. We know Moses had saving faith, so it pretty easy to assume he and many religious leaders during those times taught about saving "Faith" and they used what God had given them. In fact, both Abraham and Moses represented a "type" of christ - something that pointed others to the real Savior.

As you read over time, Jews slowly added fences around their teachings and you can see how people began to place their hope in keeping these laws instead of hope in God and the coming messiah. You see God constantly extend grace to the Jews throughout history and even today. There is a Jewish congregation across from our Church in Maine - its more of a school than a church; they teach about tradition but little about Faith.

I am so thankful that God is in control and has a plan. He reveals Himself as He chooses If I had to rely on "me", like I said above, I would be doomed.

Flash and Mike,

I am very humbled to have the opportunity to converse with both of you. Your spiritual insight in answering this very difficult question is very much appreciated.

My take on this question is that we are ALL sinners and in need of forgiveness. "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." (Rom. 3:23)

The article I cited correctly quotes Romans 10:12 as it relates to this question:

"For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him."

Therefore, we are all under the penalty of sin and in need of the Savior. Again, the Scripture is clear that "there is no distinction."

Romans 6:23 proceeds to define the remedy for our sins: "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Jesus's words in John 14:6 are as clear as they can be: "...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Mike correctly states that those living prior to Jesus's arrival on this earth (during Old Testament times) were saved by grace through faith--just as we are today. The only difference is that they placed their faith in the Savior who was yet to come; whereas, our faith today is in the Savior who has already come and bled and died for our sins and rose again from the grave.

[/URL]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT