ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Professor Poaching????

LOL! Charlie is a good friend of mine! Great guy, but classic numbers nerd. This new position sounds like a dream job for him. We coached baseball together for several years and he would wear me out with stats!

LOL! Charlie is a good friend of mine! Great guy, but classic numbers nerd. This new position sounds like a dream job for him. We coached baseball together for several years and he would wear me out with stats!
I definitely don't know Charlie, so I'm sure you have better perspective than me. But it sounds to me like Belmont hired him for a position that he already had at MTSU. If that's the case, then it seems the likelihood is Belmont just swiped him for more money.

Dr. Fowler Todd, long time Head of the Business Dept at MT (along about the time MT started the 1st MBA program in the Mid-State - years before the VU Owen Graduate School of Management - elite schools still looked down on business as a major) tried his best to make the MT Business school relevant in the Nashville/Mid State business community.

He developed a symposium with some noted speakers and tried to promote the event. I know for a fact that he sent brochures, called (long before computers were an item), and even spent days in Nashville promoting these events to the business community. Yet, the event was attended by only a handful of attendees.

MTsU has never been seen as much of a resource to the Nashville business community. No doubt this professor saw an opportunity to have a much bigger impact on the metroplex at Belmont, regardless of salary.

I definitely don't know Charlie, so I'm sure you have better perspective than me. But it sounds to me like Belmont hired him for a position that he already had at MTSU. If that's the case, then it seems the likelihood is Belmont just swiped him for more money.
I have not talked to him about it and did not know it was in the works until it was announced, so I don't have any additional info to add. Knowing him, the opportunity to start something from scratch had a strong appeal to him. Again, this is just my assumption.

Very common for professors to move institutions. Could be salary, the chance to build a new program, start-up package and support, tenure considerations, colleague issues, wanting a change of scenery or some combination of the above.

Some universities will recruit quality faculty for new programs. Belmont may have made him an offer he can’t refuse.

It happens all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT