ADVERTISEMENT

Potentially Losing some CUSA brothers in Texas

Not a knock on Rice or UTEP but it's not a big loss. MT doesn't recruit TX and it's a crazy long trip

Reactions: MT Glenn
Not a knock on Rice or UTEP but it's not a big loss. MT doesn't recruit TX and it's a crazy long trip

I agree. I know the conference leaders don't think this way, but I think non-power 5 conferences are better off with a smaller "footprint." Especially when your footprint gets smothered by the P5 conference. It makes for better rivalries because it's more of a chance to go to the road games.

If this were to happen, I wonder how the landscape would shift. Specifically, would MT be asked to join the West Division??

If this were to happen, I wonder how the landscape would shift. Specifically, would MT be asked to join the West Division??

I would think so. Of course, that would make the other West teams, USM, LaTech, UAB, NT, and UTSA. The road trips wouldn't be any worse than now, swapping a trip to Texas for one to Florida. That being said, I'd rather keep WKU, Marshall, and ODU as yearly rivals.

I would think so. Of course, that would make the other West teams, USM, LaTech, UAB, NT, and UTSA. The road trips wouldn't be any worse than now, swapping a trip to Texas for one to Florida. That being said, I'd rather keep WKU, Marshall, and ODU as yearly rivals.

We don't normally recruit Texas, we do FL though not enough IMO, Rather stay east

I like to discuss things like this so up your nose with a rubber hose John!

We should pick up a school in the state of Georgia. Southern or State? We need to stay in the east in order to keep our rivalry with wku.

This stuff really makes no difference what so ever. board fodder

It will if we wind up in the west. Like Space said, we lose our yearly trips to our favorite recruiting grounds in Florida. Our fan base trades relatively easy trips to WKU, Marshall, and UAB and our closest rival will be USM. We have a chance to build a nice rivalry with ODU, Marshall.

This would be bad for MT.

Uab is in the west, they just need to put in if the Florida schools in the west. A plane ride is a plane ride.

Uab is in the west, they just need to put in if the Florida schools in the west. A plane ride is a plane ride.

You still lose a game in our recruiting grounds in Florida, and you lose driveable trips to WKU, Marshall.

We don't hit Florida as much as we use to. Ga, bama and Mississippi are becoming our main pipelines

he is, I didn't say we don't get kids from there. Just that Florida looks like a 4th option at best when we are recruiting now.

Reactions: C-Bow
about 5 of them are transfers and a few are seniors that are leaving. Once the next cycle hits there will be very few that we brought in out of high school.

speaking with a sports reporter this past weekend, I was joking around with him and told him MT would benefit from more coverage in the media. He seems to believe MT jumped the gun with conference affiliation and will be better off playing schools closer to home. Basically, "go back to 1-AA" is what I heard.

I don't doubt for a minute that many in the mid-state (read Nashville) sports media could care less what conference (or level) any in-state school other than the two $EC schools is in. Just as with many MT alumni and students, as with many residents of The Boro, and as with most mid-state casual sports fans it is irrelevant what MT does athletically.

Until we get alumni, students, and those who reside close to the campus to care we won't have a chance to get most members of the media to even keep up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT