ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Portal open..what do we need

Neat perspective here I hadn't thought of with freshmen and the portal. Not sure our staff thinks that far ahead or has the depth to do that.

Crap. Was hoping for them to have a dud for a change.

Word is that some significant NIL opportunities around Bowling Green stepped up.

Meanwhile in Murfreesboro…..you can buy a screen printed t-shirt.

I want to see Stock’s entire regime burnt to the ground. Once we’re out from under his “leadership”, I will personally commit substantial support and resources to the next coach. Not a penny until then.

Word is that some significant NIL opportunities around Bowling Green stepped up.

I want to see Stock’s entire regime burnt to the ground. Once we’re out from under his “leadership”, I will personally commit substantial support and resources to the next coach. Not a penny until then.
Having lived in BG for 6 years, the local businesses do a great job supporting the school up north. There's some $$$ in the area and they aren't afraid to drop $$$ for WKU.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum

I believe with 7 wins, as improbable as it was, MT Football has reached its ceiling under stockstill. Maybe the Raiders have a puncher's chance against SDSU in the bowl, but with Stockstill celebrating his 65th birthday in Hawaii, he ought to reassess where he's at in his career and retire. With the leadership in place he's likely to get the best negotiated deal on his retirement that he ever will. And deep down he has to know he will never ever field a conference championship. He ought to take a lesson with the sudden death of Leach and step down while he appears to be in relatively good health.

Having lived in BG for 6 years, the local businesses do a great job supporting the school up north. There's some $$$ in the area and they aren't afraid to drop $$$ for WKU.
Just like Harris and UTSA. $$ talked. Good grief we have got to make some major changes in how we do things.

Still not sure why MT is not permitted to start for months on breaking ground. It's BS like this why I absolutely despise red tape, bureaucracy, and bureaucrats.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
MT will probably never be more than it is right now and that saddens me.
At least we aren't Cal. They are essentially a UCLA - Berkley campus now with the new agreement. Anyone want UT-Murfreesboro?

To allow UCLA to go B1G, they will pay Cal $2-10 million per year till 2026 to be determined based on the new P12 media deal amount.

That is nuts.

At least we aren't Cal. They are essentially a UCLA - Berkley campus now with the new agreement. Anyone want UT-Murfreesboro?

To allow UCLA to go B1G, they will pay Cal $2-10 million per year till 2026 to be determined based on the new P12 media deal amount.

That is nuts.
Maybe take Middle Tennessee University...

WKU Basketball feels about their MBB coach like we do our football coach.

Bet his aren't automatic, but I don't know.

Question: Massaro would have to negotiate an entire new contract to remove that clause?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
WKU Basketball feels about their MBB coach like we do our football coach.

Bet his aren't automatic, but I don't know.

Question: Massaro would have to negotiate an entire new contract to remove that clause?

As I understand it, to remove the clause from the contract would require a renegotiation (which Stockstill has no motivation to do).

As I understand it, to remove the clause from the contract would require a renegotiation (which Stockstill has no motivation to do).
A financially responsible BoT or maybe it has to happen at a state legislature, should limit how long contracts should be extended, but apparently both are asleep at the wheel. No university level official be allowed to approve extensions beyond a reasonable amount of time.

IIRC, the initial contract required BoR approval. I MAY BE off, but I vaguely remember reading they had to get to get special approval when the initial extension was signed back in 2009 / 2010.

But I can’t remember if the auto-extension was in the original contract.

IIRC, the initial contract required BoR approval. I MAY BE off, but I vaguely remember reading they had to get to get special approval when the initial extension was signed back in 2009 / 2010.

But I can’t remember if the auto-extension was in the original contract.
Shot down in flames...

Interesting quote from the Deputy AD at WSU in this article about Deion and the portal.

“It benefits coaches who are personable,” Washington State deputy athletic director Ike Ukaegbu said in a phone interview. “During the short transfer portal windows, recruits are trying to gauge whether they will have a personal connection with the (head) coach and whether they will fit within their culture. Charismatic and energetic coaches have a better chance of giving recruits who are in the transfer portal a glimpse of their culture and leadership style.”

Much has been said here about Stock and his perceived lack of an outgoing personality. Yet as we know, players back him up to the death. I purposefully watched him on the sidelines during the FAU game. He was BEYOND energetic with his players. Jumping, running, smiling, laughing, high fives, chasing guys down on the sideline to say good play. You can easily see why the players love him yet that doesn't transfer AT ALL in his public persona. I think many players looking in the portal especially don't necessarily see how he is on the field. So much of recruiting is done by assistants.

Very frustrating honestly as it also affects his perception to the general public through interviews etc. I'm not saying he is amazing blah blah. I still would've fired him multiple times if I were AD. But it is an interesting thing to think about.

Interesting quote from the Deputy AD at WSU in this article about Deion and the portal.

“It benefits coaches who are personable,” Washington State deputy athletic director Ike Ukaegbu said in a phone interview. “During the short transfer portal windows, recruits are trying to gauge whether they will have a personal connection with the (head) coach and whether they will fit within their culture. Charismatic and energetic coaches have a better chance of giving recruits who are in the transfer portal a glimpse of their culture and leadership style.”

Much has been said here about Stock and his perceived lack of an outgoing personality. Yet as we know, players back him up to the death. I purposefully watched him on the sidelines during the FAU game. He was BEYOND energetic with his players. Jumping, running, smiling, laughing, high fives, chasing guys down on the sideline to say good play. You can easily see why the players love him yet that doesn't transfer AT ALL in his public persona. I think many players looking in the portal especially don't necessarily see how he is on the field. So much of recruiting is done by assistants.

Very frustrating honestly as it also affects his perception to the general public through interviews etc. I'm not saying he is amazing blah blah. I still would've fired him multiple times if I were AD. But it is an interesting thing to think about.

Stockstill is apparently really good with players. Most players LOVE him.

He’s not the extroverted, energetic like Deion or Lane KIffin, but players love him.

The fans, however…

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Stockstill is apparently really good with players. Most players LOVE him.

He’s not the extroverted, energetic like Deion or Lane KIffin, but players love him.

The fans, however…
I'll say it....

Most *2-star* players love him. Parents love him because he graduates their kids, and there's definitely nothing wrong with that. But most of these players' other offers are from FCS schools.

We're not getting 4-star players knocking down the door to come play for him, because they have actual aspirations of having great college careers and beyond. If he was a .650+ coach with championships and a winning bowl record (first off, he'd have moved up a long time ago), we'd get players that could probably win half their games on talent alone.

He's only loved and defended by his former players and players' parents, who also don't have winning records.

Reactions: Sommy
I'll say it....

Most *2-star* players love him. Parents love him because he graduates their kids, and there's definitely nothing wrong with that. But most of these players' other offers are from FCS schools.

We're not getting 4-star players knocking down the door to come play for him, because they have actual aspirations of having great college careers and beyond. If he was a .650+ coach with championships and a winning bowl record (first off, he'd have moved up a long time ago), we'd get players that could probably win half their games on talent alone.

He's only loved and defended by his former players and players' parents, who also don't have winning records.
There lies the catch 22. One could say if he had better players his record could be better. (Hate him as some do but we honestly have no way of knowing if he'd win with Bama guys because he's never coached Bama guys). Part of why BuildBlue is so important. If it helps Stock or not, who knows. But no coach, energetic or not, is gonna want to come try if we don't have the facilities built. Deion going to JSU is one of a kind no doubt and I really don't see a 2nd version of him being found for us.

I actually was impressed with yesterday's haul of signees. Out of 10, all but 2 had other FBS offers, and a couple even had P5 offers. We also picked up some P5 and G5 transfers.

My point is I wish he could translate that energy for all to see.

I'll say it....

Fair criticism ms (re: lack of winning).

IMO, the reason MT didn’t compete for 4 star talent is :

1) lack of winning (as you said)
2) facilities / investment in the program

I think the fact he’s only defend by players says something.

Are his former players donating to the BRAA? If not, I really don’t care what their opinions are.
We have 2 guys who are near the top of the list at their respective positions in the NFL, one of which whose jersey we just retired, and both are making huge money......

But to my knowledge, neither one of them has donated a dime back to this university................

The cynic in me says Stock's players love him because he's really the only chance they had at a decent 'ship. Lets face it - a high percentage of the rosters of the past 10 years are made up of dudes that had no other FBS options.

Also, we see how the lack of accountability and the lack of performance standards permeates the whole program. It wouldn't surprise me if that attitude trickled down through the entire team. They certainly play like they aren't giving much effort in the weight room, or practice fields, or really anywhere. If the admin doesn't hold the head coach to any standard, and the HC doesn't hold his assistants to any standard, would it be shocking to learn that the assistants don't hold the players to any standard?

So, why wouldn't we expect the players to defend the men who put them on the gravy train?

I'm reading a book called "The Fighting Bunch" about the Battle of Athens (TN) - after WWII, a bunch of returning GI's essentially had to storm the armory in McMinn County and hold a running gun battle with the thug's who had essentially taken over the government and weren't holding rigged elections (along with some other gangster type practices).

It's somewhat similar to what we have here - cronyism and corruption (from a football standpoint) from the top down, and there's absolutely no way to break the machine - they don't care if you don't show up at the stadium. They don't care if you don't donate. They don't care if you don't watch on TV. They're going to plunder the program for all the $$$ they can - skim off from TV dollars, rip off the students by requiring them to pay an "athletics" fee subsidy - and just laugh all the way to Hawaii.

Did I miss something or have things just changed? I saw that it was early signing day this week, but I don’t see a thread about MT’s signing day.

Just heard yesterday that something like only 35% of the players in the portal have found a new team. That hopefully will create some opportunities for MT to find some players, notably OL.

10. QB Chance Nolan (Oregon State Beavers)

Transfer Destination: Undecided​

Chance Nolan’s 85.5 passing grade since last season is tied for ninth among active Power Five quarterbacks.

While Nolan threw 18 interceptions in that span, he made only 16 turnover-worthy plays, showing that he’s had some bad turnover luck. The redshirt junior played in just five games this year before suffering a season-ending neck strain. What he showed on tape last season warrants a spot in the top 10, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT