ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL polls, rankings, bracketology

You know what is BS is St Mary’s ranking. We have played a harder schedule and they find themselves ranked 12th.

Yeah. I don't get that. They beat gonzaga but Their ranking doesn't reflect their schedule.

Based on our rpi and name recognition. I bet the committee places us in if we fail in the tournament and win out regular season.

Rankings are complete garbage.

To have an even remotely fair chance of ranking teams, you would need to watch all teams play multiple times (no one comes close to that) or you need to have assign different people to give each team a score (like MLB scouts score prospects 20-80), then you take the average score from multiple raters and use that to rank the teams. But that doesn't happen.

I bet half the AP voters have not seen 2 complete games for each team in their top 40, let alone their top 25.

Name recoginition matters as much or more than actual talent in rankings.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Even if we win both games this week, RPI will probably slide to the 30-32 range.

Pomeroy is the ranking I put the most stock in because I like how it controls for the pace of each game.

I’d love to be ranked in one of the major polls again, but I don’t stress over it.

I think St. Mary’s deserves their ranking. Our overall schedule is tougher but I don’t think we would have duplicated their results against their schedule so far this year. They are an elite offensive team.

About to pull the trigger for flight to go to Frisco. I would hate to have a one and done.

AP poll for this week is out...

Others receiving votes:
New Mexico State 66, Florida 48, Creighton 44, Butler 43, Virginia Tech 29, Middle Tennessee 26, Alabama 22, Houston 16, Nebraska 15, Missouri 14, Miami 10, Kentucky 8, TCU 8, East Tennessee State 5, Oklahoma State 4, St. Bonaventure 3, Louisville 2, Florida State 1, Vermont 1

Coaches Poll is out
  • Others receiving votes: Florida 57, Texas A&M 51, Middle Tennessee 32, New Mexico State 30, Houston 25, Miami 23, Butler 20, Nebraska 18, Virginia Tech 17, Alabama 6, UCLA 6, Loyola-Chicago 6, Louisville 5, Kentucky 4, Seton Hall 3, TCU 2, East Tennessee State 1

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I say yes this week at #25 in AP and #24 in Coaches. NMSU, Florida, and A&M all lost this week. West Virginia and Miami lost too. Hope we can stay in through the Tournament. That would get an us an 8/9 seed. I want an 8 seed this year, so we can take down a 1. I think we can take down Virginia or Villanova...we are that good!

Reactions: cipman2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT