ADVERTISEMENT

Pogue: C-USA must decide what to do with UAB

I really feel for UAB. It can be argued that their men's BkB program has reached heights that few non-power programs in the South have achieved. But, FB is king in the South and there are no respected BkB only schools in the South as there are in the NE, Mid-West, and West.

Their feelings will be hurt but they can achieve success in BkB in The Belt (an original member) or even the OVC. Gotta cut them loose.

I believe C-USA now requires all members to have a football program. I heard that UAB would be dropped from CUSA all along when they were cheated out of football.

So I guess the question is whether or not the Ad's will have pity on UAB despite it's set of rules. As much as I hate it, I say ship em to either the Sun Belt or the OVC. They would compete well in either one of those conferences.
This post was edited on 1/4 7:52 AM by blueraiderJT

Not unfeeling about their situation and think they got screwed by idiotic state politics, and hopeful they can get the situation reversed, much like etsu finally did, and if they did in years to come, would not mind their re-entry down the road. Their president needs to feel heat, and if uab was not kicked down, their president would escape the repercussions of his actions.

I agree. I think we have to release UAB. I feel bad for them, but its a by-law.

Honestly, I would love to see a swap with UAB and Georgia Southern. This would give C-USA a school in regionally-relevant spot in a state we don't currently have a conference team in. It would get us the current SB football champion, and the reigning Southern Conference baseball champion (NCAA regional). Plus their a natural C-USA East division replacement for UAB.

ULL. They're the best Sunbelt program from top to bottom.

I know LaTech would throw a fit, but too bad.

I totally agree.

Destination City (in a way) with solid academics and athletics.

Originally posted by RaiderDoug:
ULL. They're the best Sunbelt program from top to bottom.

I know LaTech would throw a fit, but too bad.

As unfortunate as it is for the supporters of UAB, they are no longer a match for C-USA. I like the idea of having athletic programs investing and competing in similar sports. It seems a little off when a non-football program sinks most resources into bball competing against programs trying to fund both and overall improve the conference. With UAB history of success & metro location, I'd think they would be a better fit for the A10 than the SBC. Of course that is if the A10 were to even consider looking for other members in the not too distant future. IMHO, losing UAB basketball would be a sizable loss to C-USA basketball.

I also think it's a rotten year for the C-USA bball tourney to be in B'ham. At this point, C-USA is playing in B'ham for charity towards UAB & B'ham.

If C-USA continues past trends, I would expect C-USA to look to a program in a sizable media market if it does come down to replacing UAB with another program. I'm thinking Ga Southern & Appy St would likely be lower on that list irregardless if they won the SBC football title. I'm guessing it would take a lot more titles to overcome the media market issue.

I know Texas St doesn't work real well in the East vs West thing, but their proximity to large metropolitan areas just might be a significant factor. Maybe UL-L is in that similar boat. Then again, perhaps there is a below the radar program that could be appealing in another city that is at the stage of looking to move to 1-A eg ODU & Charlotte. Will be interesting to see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT