ADVERTISEMENT

Please tell me McDevitt has no contact extensions

Here's the original that shows the '23 end date mentioned in the above extension. So unless there is some secret extension out there (I mean there is a precedent for that 🙄), then this should be his last year.

They secretly extended him one year after the first year. It’s not clear if they have been others.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
They secretly extended him one year after the first year. It’s not clear if they have been others.
Yup. That's what I meant. Original ended in '23, extension in '24. I've got both B1G and ACC games on now, have Montana/Delaware on my laptop, and fooling around on here and X on my phone. I can't guarantee my thoughts come out clearly. Lol.

I would suspect a secret extension given M&M’s history.

You can’t have your coach working in the terminal year of their contract as that would be a major recruiting SNAFU.

You just don’t give such an outrageous contract with auto renewals or such long-term you can’t afford to buyout if things go south.

You can tell what Massaro is going to do though based on how CNM does in conference play. He’s safe as long as he is .500 or better in conference this year.

I always want to give a guy the benefit of the doubt as CNM has dealt with a lot of critical injuries and departures, but unless they have a great turnaround, this should be his last year.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Massaro told us what he is going to do.. When he fired Stock, Massaro told us he judges coaches by conference record (regardless of how terrible the teams are in the conference). CNM isn’t going anywhere if we hit .500.

He told us why he didn’t fire CNM after the worst 3 years in our history. He likes “continuity” and wants to give a coach a chance. He lets coaches rehire new coaches if the first set doesn’t work out. Add the contract buyout they didn’t want pay and CNM got year 4, so now CNM essentially has a lifetime contract like Stock had until now or Kermit had his first decade of mediocrity.

Edited to add: If we hit that FG against SHSU and win in OT, Stock is still our coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Massaro’s approach is why the he basketball arena is empty.

Include Floyd stadium too.
To be fair, there were some (maybe not you) that called for CKD's head for several years . CKD turned it around & now most MT fans would LOVE to have him back.

Massaro is cautious (re: firing coaches), but it paid off with CKD. Probably didn't pay off with some others.

For comparisons sake.

CKD his first 6yrs 100-82 (51-41)
McD is in his 6yr and is 73-82 (39-51)

I'm not saying it's apples to apples what they've dealt with, teams they've played etc. Just putting the numbers out there for discussion.

I still wonder if there's been an extension.

Reactions: AustinLewis
To be fair, there were some (maybe not you) that called for CKD's head for several years . CKD turned it around & now most MT fans would LOVE to have him back.

Massaro is cautious (re: firing coaches), but it paid off with CKD. Probably didn't pay off with some others.

Kermit SHOULD 100% have been fired in his first decade for failure to perform. He would have been fired at pretty every D1 school. I can’t remember the reporter I talked to at the time, but CKD and Northwestern’s coach at the time had the worst futility record of any school that competed in FBS football.

Massaro not demanding more than a .500 conference record before giving essentially a lifetime contract is unacceptable.

CKD finally figuring it out isn’t validation. It’s proof than even a broken clock will be right twice a day. The rest of the time, it’s worthless.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Austin, After the Houston Baptist loss, I definitely was thinking Kermit was not the guy. I’m not sure there were many who wasn’t saying the same thing.

There were repeated letdowns in sunbelt play and while Belmont was building their arena, they were curb stomping us at municipal auditorium.

Austin, After the Houston Baptist loss, I definitely was thinking Kermit was not the guy. I’m not sure there were many who wasn’t saying the same thing.

There were repeated letdowns in sunbelt play and while Belmont was building their arena, they were curb stomping us at municipal auditorium.
Well, there was a firekermitDavis.com or something like that at one point.

I remember asking Massaro in 2008 in my athletic admin class taught by Stephanie Diaz (Manny’s wife) about The state of MBB. He was disappointed (who wasn’t), but Massaro seems to be a guy who prefers to be patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderDeez
There were a few seasons where on whatever board we were using at the time, about the only people defending Kermit was the guy who had the billboard/sign business and some woman who was a HUGE Kermit fan. They were fighting most of the rest of us haha. Kind of like RingALing does at times for McDevitt.

Kermit really never had any bad seasons. It was starting to feel like what actually did end up happening with Stock. After the 2011 season during their end of year meeting, CM told Kermit that he had one more year to get it going or he would be fired. Not sure if that motivated Kermit or if he was already on the cusp of getting over that hump but whatever it was he did.

That next year was the first 20 win season since the virtual death penalty we got two decades prior. And the birth of six out of the next seven years with more than 24 wins a season.

Kermit was never as bad as some CNM coached teams. CNM has had one decent year. Last year, we went down and this year looks like it's gonna be bad. Massaro will have to make a decision by the end of this season.

Kermit SHOULD 100% have been fired in his first decade for failure to perform. He would have been fired at pretty every D1 school. I can’t remember the reporter I talked to at the time, but CKD and Northwestern’s coach at the time had the worst futility record of any school that competed in FBS football.

Massaro not demanding more than a .500 conference record before giving essentially a lifetime contract is unacceptable.

CKD finally figuring it out isn’t validation. It’s proof than even a broken clock will be right twice a day. The rest of the time, it’s worthless.
That broken clock was right like 8 times bro. We went to the dance 3 times and the NIT twice. We got 2 conference championships and a few regular season championships. We beat a lot of P5's with him and even got a top 25 ranking. Greg was the catalyst to all of that.

Reactions: mtfblue
That broken clock was right like 8 times bro

Who are the other 7 coaches, besides Kermit, that figured it out after a decade of mediocre results and started being successful?

The comment was Kermit, being the one coach to figure it out, doesn’t justify letting other coaches (Stock or CNM) stay forever and expect them to figure it out after a decade.

over your head cosplay GIF by Comic-Con HQ

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT