ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Perhaps it truly is time to consider the name change

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
I've long been one that didn't think the name was a huge issue. I always thought that if our team was good enough that it would command the respect regardless of what we called ourselves.

However, I do think it's time we take a deep look at our expectations and what we are truly trying to accomplish here at "MTSU"

Middle Tennessee State University, MTSU.
It really is a bad name. I believe there are a lot of folks in the area who do not realize just how bad the name sounds because they've been exposed to it for so long and don't have an objective outsiders perspective. The name itself doesn't sound too bad when you've been exposed to it for such a long time. However; for those not familiar with the school the name instantly invokes the idea of a small-time state funded school that plays lower division athletics. To help better understand just how foul the name appears, imagine the following schools having these names.....

Central Michigan State University, CMSU
Western Kentucky State University, WKSU
South Alabama State University, SASU
Northeast Louisiana State University, NELSU (used to actually be their name until they changed it.....now UL-Monroe)

Now tell me, do these sound like traditional Division 1 college names? Hell to the NO!

Sure, there are a few instances out there where universities have made their poor name/acronym work (UCLA, NCSU [North Carolina State University ala NC State]),...BUT they've had significant school history and large sums of money at their disposal to advance their cause and branding, and of course being in a power 5 conference didn't hurt. Here at MT, we're already at a great disadvantage because of our budget and the inherent disadvantages that come with being a "small school" - Thus we are doing ourselves no favor with such an amatuer sounding name.

We should be doing everything in our power to try and change perception, Both locally and nationally. That includes winning games, creative marketing, changing mascots, changing university names, etc. Whatever it takes!

And that's what separates the winners & losers and big boys from the kiddies table. The Alabamas, Ohio St.'s, and even Boise St.'s of the world will do whatever it takes to get to the top. Being ruthless and doing everything possible to help your university and it's athletics programs is absolutely required if you want to be competitive in collegiate athletics in today's world.

So our leaders need to look in the mirror and ask themselves a few questions. Are we doing everything possible to advance our cause? Are we giving half-hearted, half-assed efforts to elevate our programs? Is there anything that we can do better?

If we're going to half-ass our approach and effort then it's honestly not even worth the trouble.

So I say to the administrators/leaders of our university and athletics programs, either go all out or stop wasting everybodies time and money and go back to Division 2/FCS (where the name MTSU is perfect)

I've long been one that didn't think the name was a huge issue. I always thought that if our team was good enough that it would command the respect regardless of what we called ourselves.

However, I do think it's time we take a deep look at our expectations and what we are truly trying to accomplish here at "MTSU"

Middle Tennessee State University, MTSU.
It really is a bad name. I believe there are a lot of folks in the area who do not realize just how bad the name sounds because they've been exposed to it for so long and don't have an objective outsiders perspective. The name itself doesn't sound too bad when you've been exposed to it for such a long time. However; for those not familiar with the school the name instantly invokes the idea of a small-time state funded school that plays lower division athletics. To help better understand just how foul the name appears, imagine the following schools having these names.....

Central Michigan State University, CMSU
Western Kentucky State University, WKSU
South Alabama State University, SASU
Northeast Louisiana State University, NELSU (used to actually be their name until they changed it.....now UL-Monroe)

Now tell me, do these sound like traditional Division 1 college names? Hell to the NO!

Sure, there are a few instances out there where universities have made their poor name/acronym work (UCLA, NCSU [North Carolina State University ala NC State]),...BUT they've had significant school history and large sums of money at their disposal to advance their cause and branding, and of course being in a power 5 conference didn't hurt. Here at MT, we're already at a great disadvantage because of our budget and the inherent disadvantages that come with being a "small school" - Thus we are doing ourselves no favor with such an amatuer sounding name.

We should be doing everything in our power to try and change perception, Both locally and nationally. That includes winning games, creative marketing, changing mascots, changing university names, etc. Whatever it takes!

And that's what separates the winners & losers and big boys from the kiddies table. The Alabamas, Ohio St.'s, and even Boise St.'s of the world will do whatever it takes to get to the top. Being ruthless and doing everything possible to help your university and it's athletics programs is absolutely required if you want to be competitive in collegiate athletics in today's world.

So our leaders need to look in the mirror and ask themselves a few questions. Are we doing everything possible to advance our cause? Are we giving half-hearted, half-assed efforts to elevate our programs? Is there anything that we can do better?

If we're going to half-ass our approach and effort then it's honestly not even worth the trouble.

So I say to the administrators/leaders of our university and athletics programs, either go all out or stop wasting everybodies time and money and go back to Division 2/FCS (where the name MTSU is perfect)

Well said! One of the things I've been screaming for decades is how the name sounds to "outsiders" who just heard it for the first time. You know, trying to get through to the locals who may have grown up with name and not thought a lot about it.

Myself coming from a large Northeast Metro area, I'd never heard of MTSU. Upon first hearing of it, my 1st impression was pretty negative. Most know how important 1st impressions are to people. It took lots of local friends explaining MTSU to me to not think so negatively about MTSU. Then visiting campus helped with my perception. When I finally went to start college full-time, I have to be honest I viewed the convenience of MTSU as just a stepping stone to transfer to UT because of perceptions lingering from the 1st impression and lingering perception of such a name in MTSU that previously I'd never even heard before. It was after being on campus for a couple of semesters that my attitude really started to change. I really grew to like the univ community and saw the tremendous growth. My attitude was changing. The other big factor, Dr Walker. He was a real leader addressing all of those problems and concerns. Being around all of that, I chose to stay at MTSU to finish undergrad. Sadly, it was at a time when there was so much movement under Dr Walker in growing the univ that I thought the name problem would be taken care of in a relatively short amount of time after dealing w/ some bumps in the road. Well, most know the rest of the history. It's pretty much has become the key manifestation of some of the frustrating underlying problems that the univ continues to face to this day. The name, branding, key representations of failure with univ leadership, univ community apathy, and state politics from a local perspective that have all worked against MT over the years.

Yes, MTSU has grown. Lots of buildings finally have been built years after they were needed. If MTSU would have remained under strong bold leadership w/ vision, who knows how much further along MTSU would already be beyond all of the growth and improvements we currently see around campus. A new name, a new identity. A better attitude the people might have had that comes with a new and better identity. Higher academic standards. The list goes on and on.....

I like both of these posts very much.

This has become a perception is reality world. Q-rating is huge.

There is a negativity associated with the directional-non-state-SU that doesn't follow the "U of XXX". It's why Memphis isn't Memphis State and why North Texas isn't NTSU and Troy isn't Troy State.

And you'd think as this "Middle Tennessee" region grows and becomes more distinct, and as more people move here and visit here and pass through here, we'd want to associate ourselves with this powerhouse.

Reactions: dukewayne
I've heard this argument for years and completely agree.

The REAL question is how do we put the name request into ACTION rather than just debating this endlessly on a message board that the decision makers don't read? Who is going to organize an effort, propose changes and fight for this with REAL ACTION? Obviously a lot of folks on here would support the effort, but nobody (to my knowledge) has ever organized things to make it happen.

With MT getting it's own board of regents, does this become an easier process?

You would think it would be an easier process with the board coming and naming rights also. Since they are moving all state property to control of the schools also. Someone needs to get the ball rolling with the few people we do have in the state capital. Hopefully this will happen sooner than later, all needs to happen at the same time as the board members are being picked. Also in this change they need to try again and get the design school in franklin and the law school as part of the university. That is ready made 2 professional schools.

With MT getting it's own board of regents, does this become an easier process?

No. People seem to not understand that it is more than just the University leadership and political representatives that don't want the name change to happen. For every one person that supports the name change there is one person that opposes it that are alumni and have an invested interest in the University. Folks will have to get those that oppose it on board, and I don't ever see that happening any time in the near future.

No. People seem to not understand that it is more than just the University leadership and political representatives that don't want the name change to happen. For every one person that supports the name change there is one person that opposes it that are alumni and have an invested interest in the University. Folks will have to get those that oppose it on board, and I don't ever see that happening any time in the near future.
I think there's a lot of people who dont care one way or another( I used to be in that boat). Have to figure out how to get those people off the fence and on the name change side

I would love to hear arguments against the name change.

I try to be objective and I love playing Devil's advocate, but I can't come up with one good reason against a name change.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I would love to hear arguments against the name change.

I try to be objective and I love playing Devil's advocate, but I can't come up with one good reason against a name change.

I think most arguments are they graduated from MTSU. If you change the name then they graduated from a college with a different name. I'm going to say that the folks that make this argument have a lot of pride in where they come from.

Another is that it there are more pressing matters that we can focus our attention to that will add more value than something that would be what some people view as a minor impact.

It may not be real easy, but I think right now is a tremendous opportunity.

Here it is, my understanding is that the legislature is going to have to work up a fairly comprehensive piece of legislation on education change and reform especially as it relates to BOR and boards for each of the institutions. From what I understand, the governor is pushing for this legislation. This is the opportunity. Folks need to find some allies in the state house and senate i.e. local reps and senators and alum reps and senators. While I'm not an expert of parliamentary procedures on the state level, there should be some mechanism for state reps and senators to add or amend the the current higher ed bill with a "shall name" for MTSU to UMT or whatever reasonable supported name. If it can get added and the bill passes, it's law. It then must happen by force of state law. With the governor seemingly pushing for a higher ed bill, I imagine it is unlikely that he would fight it. That's how politics work, reps & senators throw stuff in for their constituencies if other influential pols want their big bill passed some of this stuff comes along with it. Of course, what would make it even more likely and closer to reality is for some of the politicians to be greased w/ some $$$. You know, the standard "campaign donations."

It seems that the political environment is fairly favorable for such a move right now.

Historically, there has been support for a name change. Under Pres Walker, his presidential committee recommended a name change to UMT. In more recent years, I believe the student gov voted in support of a univ name change. Just saying. It's relevant to politicians.
It's pretty well known that gov Haslem from East TN is a pretty big supporter of UT. My guess is he has some sort of benefit in sight for UT for such a big higher ed initiative. Might as well try to advocate and get some benefit for MT if UT will likely be benefiting. Heck, UT benefits just about everyday from favorable state policy.

I think most arguments are they graduated from MTSU. If you change the name then they graduated from a college with a different name. I'm going to say that the folks that make this argument have a lot of pride in where they come from.

Another is that it there are more pressing matters that we can focus our attention to that will add more value than something that would be what some people view as a minor impact.

Playing devil's devil's advocate: My impression is that such arguments are contrived arguments because many people simply do not like change. I mean, for real, pride in where they come from? If that were the case, the football stadium and The Glass House would be full every game. As for more pressing matters, specifically what pressing matters?

Again, now is a good opportunity. Take what cowturd said and stirred up so many MTSU people, and use it for MT's benefit. It's a perfect example of how names and perception can result in negative publicity or negative outcomes for the university.

I like both of these posts very much.

This has become a perception is reality world. Q-rating is huge.

There is a negativity associated with the directional-non-state-SU that doesn't follow the "U of XXX". It's why Memphis isn't Memphis State and why North Texas isn't NTSU and Troy isn't Troy State.

And you'd think as this "Middle Tennessee" region grows and becomes more distinct, and as more people move here and visit here and pass through here, we'd want to associate ourselves with this powerhouse.

"This has become a perception is reality world. Q-rating is huge."

^^^^This, if the majority of people knew just how true and impactful the above statement actually is, people would want a name change ASAP.

My impression is that such arguments are contrived arguments because many people simply do not like change. I mean, for real, pride in where they come from? If that were the case, the football stadium and The Glass House would be full every game. As for more pressing matters, specifically what pressing matters?

Just because someone is not at sporting events does not mean they lack pride in their degree. Maybe they just don't like football and basketball. Maybe they live in California. I have a lot of pride in my degree. I don't like golf. So since I don't go to golf tournaments does that mean I lack pride in my degree?

As for more pressing matters: How about we make lists like THIS?
Adding more PhD programs.

Ok. So we get a name change approved. What do we call it? University of Murfreesboro?

I'm serious. I have tried for years to come up with a name that works and won't have us in court with TSU.

Ok. So we get a name change approved. What do we call it? University of Murfreesboro?

I'm serious. I have tried for years to come up with a name that works and won't have us in court with TSU.

University of Middle Tennessee.

Especially with us no longer being part of an all-inclusive TBR, why would TSU be able to stop us?

I have moved on this slightly. I have gone from being opposed to the change to being indifferent. I have even started leaning slightly towards a change if nothing else to end the constant discussion. It distracts from what is important. I fall into the camp of "there are way more pressing things to worry about and expend our political capital on " than a name change. I would much rather see us pushing the legislature to add professional degree programs and more PhD programs than a name change. If that happened I don't think people would care near as much about the name. It would also fix a lot of cash flow/endowment issues long term if we were looking to engineers and lawyers to fill the coffers instead of teachers and musicians. I think the benefits of a name change are greatly exaggerated. If we get a law school or something to that effect I could see changing it as part of major re-branding. Still don't think it will be a huge deal but at least it's not just slapping a "new and improved " label on the same old product. I would also contend that whatever small benefit there is to changing the name will be wasted if its not part of bigger changes. Our "Q" factor in programs that we excel in, like Aerospace, is quite high. The name plays no factor. It's the product. If we excelled at more things either Athletically or Academically I believe the name would be a non factor in those areas as well.

I agree with University of Middle Tennessee.

Also, I would love to see us transition to more doctoral degrees. A major problem with that is actually current faculty members. Many tenured professors in non-doctoral granting colleges simply came to MT to teach. To offer a PhD, you need faculty that are conducting research that draws doctoral students. A lot of our faculty in non-doctoral programs don't have a research program that could draw the extramural funding needed for a PhD program. Plus, the recruitment of new faculty for a PhD program will require higher starting salaries and more $ in start up packages for research. Older faculty didn't start with the same salary, didn't get the startup funding and are stuck teaching more because they don't have the same funding. Bitterness can build - it can be a difficult transition (trust me on this).

Another ancillary - moving to more PhD programs means faculty are going to spend more doing research versus teaching. When I hit my 1st grant, I bought out of teaching to spend more time in the lab. That means instructors or graduate students are going to be teaching courses PhD's used to teach. One of the selling points at MT has been the strength of the instruction. Some people may balk at the move.

Again, the name change and more PhD programs is a strong progressive move for the university in terms of perception, but I can see some people complaining about both due to not liking change or personal reasons. Progress is slow.

Reactions: TeKEraider
Just because someone is not at sporting events does not mean they lack pride in their degree. Maybe they just don't like football and basketball. Maybe they live in California. I have a lot of pride in my degree. I don't like golf. So since I don't go to golf tournaments does that mean I lack pride in my degree?

As for more pressing matters: How about we make lists like THIS?
Adding more PhD programs.

Ok, I walked right into that one. Since I was trying to make a point w/ athletics in mind as related to this board, I didn't make appropriate connections.

Where is the evidence of pride of the 100,000 alums in the region? Given the behavior of groups and populations, I would think pride in your univ would be expressed in some sort of manner. As evidenced by so many universities all across this country, there seems to be some connection of large segments of the population having pride in their higher ed institution occasionally attending events at said institution. If not sports, what about academic lectures or artistic programs?

Yes, it would not be logical to say school pride must equal attending football games. Human nature being what it is, I would think at least some people would attend though. Perhaps people would express that pride in other ways such as clothing with MT t-shirts etc etc. Car bumper stickers? Sadly, it seems MT alum have as much if not more pride in UT than they do their own alma mater judging by all of the UT shirts and car stickers on campus and around Murfreesboro not to mention Nashville.

On pressing matters, what stops anyone from pushing for name change and PhD programs at the same time? One would not necessarily preclude one from the other. My point, where are these same people all along pushing for PhD programs or professional schools for that matter? I'm not seeing or hearing of them. Actually, the ones I hear making the case are almost always people who are heavily supportive of athletics.

Again, where is the evidence of all of this pride?

I have moved on this slightly. I have gone from being opposed to the change to being indifferent. I have even started leaning slightly towards a change if nothing else to end the constant discussion. It distracts from what is important. I fall into the camp of "there are way more pressing things to worry about and expend our political capital on " than a name change. I would much rather see us pushing the legislature to add professional degree programs and more PhD programs than a name change. If that happened I don't think people would care near as much about the name. It would also fix a lot of cash flow/endowment issues long term if we were looking to engineers and lawyers to fill the coffers instead of teachers and musicians. I think the benefits of a name change are greatly exaggerated. If we get a law school or something to that effect I could see changing it as part of major re-branding. Still don't think it will be a huge deal but at least it's not just slapping a "new and improved " label on the same old product. I would also contend that whatever small benefit there is to changing the name will be wasted if its not part of bigger changes. Our "Q" factor in programs that we excel in, like Aerospace, is quite high. The name plays no factor. It's the product. If we excelled at more things either Athletically or Academically I believe the name would be a non factor in those areas as well.

If I could have liked this post x 100 I would have. Agree with everything.

We should just use our logo with the name "university formerly known as Middle Tennessee State"

[QUOTE="dukewayne, post: 40077, member: 258"

Again, where is the evidence of all of this pride?[/QUOTE]

Im just putting myself in the shoes of people that may be opposed to it to answer Doug's question why they would oppose it. Like I said for every one that is for it one more is against it. Just my speculation. I dont care either way.

I personally like Jeff Jordan but he is a Murfreesboro Native if Im not mistaken. One thing I have learned from marrying a Murfreesboro native is general they don't like change very much. Most of the ones I know ( all great people by the way) constantly talk about the good ole days before The Boro started changing. When Central was the only middle school and RIverdale and Oakland were the only two high schools and we didnt have all of this growth and all of these Walmarts lol

I personally like Jeff Jordan but he is a Murfreesboro Native if Im not mistaken. One thing I have learned from marrying a Murfreesboro native is general they don't like change very much. Most of the ones I know ( all great people by the way) constantly talk about the good ole days before The Boro started changing. When Central was the only middle school and RIverdale and Oakland were the only two high schools and we didnt have all of this growth and all of these Walmarts lol

I hope when it comes time to choose members of Middle Tennessee's governing board, that the members placed on that board, don't reflect his opinion. I am concerned about the make of any such board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT