ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thoughts on Deion at Colorado?

Received a text this morning that was so true in regards to our situation.

Funny how 2009 season, as successful as it was, was one of the worst things to have happened to MT football.

That one year triggered so many events that led us to where we are now.

Which is exactly why there is zero excuse to have a coach at a G5 school for this long. We hire a guy and he can turn it around in 2yrs. Bring in a few new ones year one, the the finishing touches year two. Boom. Win. So he gets yanked. Just use the buyout $ and do it again.

Idk why this is so freaking hard for our administration to understand. It's like Stock has a spell on them or something.

Two of the biggest upsets in week 1 (Colorado over TCU, Tx State over Baylor) were by 1st year HC who brought in 40+ players from the portal.

Jury is out if either team (Tx State or Colorado) will actually be good this year and if hitting the portal is good for your program long-term, but I don’t mind guys rolling the dice and trying something new.

Coaches don’t get a 3-4 year leash anymore. They gotta try something to turn programs around faster.
advantage to the new school and staffs as the teams they played were blind at what they would run. Now there is film and let's see how the season plays out

Reactions: SpaceRaider
advantage to the new school and staffs as the teams they played were blind at what they would run. Now there is film and let's see how the season plays out
also Colorado didn't even have there roster updated. So I guess he wanted to surprise everyone

but when lincoln riley and Lane do it, it's cool.
When have Lincoln or Lane gotten as many transfers as Deion has? When have they told their entire current team to hit the portal because “he is bringing his own luggage and it is Louis?” The answer is never. It would not be cool if they did it either. I hope Colorado succeeds because the more teams that succeed, the more fun college football will be. I also want any team outside of the SEC/B1G to win it all. I just wish Deion would shut up some and show some humility. I want to cheer for him, but his arrogance makes it hard.

I don't know jack about any of Deion's assistant coaches....but I want the best one to be our next HC. And I'll take any of the "negatives" that come with that.

Pop off a championship or two and maybe a NYE6 appearance....that guy will be revered here FOREVER. Even though he would leave after 3-ish years here.

When have Lincoln or Lane gotten as many transfers as Deion has? When have they told their entire current team to hit the portal because “he is bringing his own luggage and it is Louis?” The answer is never. It would not be cool if they did it either. I hope Colorado succeeds because the more teams that succeed, the more fun college football will be. I also want any team outside of the SEC/B1G to win it all. I just wish Deion would shut up some and show some humility. I want to cheer for him, but his arrogance makes it hard.
Riley didn't inherit 1-11 but he still dumped well over 30. Kiffin had 33 bail last year alone. Prime also did this at JSU and no one said nothing either

Prime stays in front and gets pub for Colorado which gets the attention of recruits. He knows this. As soon as he gets the top DL and OL and builds depth there, it's a wrap. I don't want humility in my HC. Humility is the front part of humiliation which is what happened to us Saturday night. I want a warrior/hype man/motivator who knows who he is. Prime is not arrogant at all. He did that. Everything he says, he did that. The only athlete to play in 2 superbowls and a world series. He has put together a good coaching staff. He kinda knows this football stuff.

If we want mediocre and humble, I guess we got our guy. LOL. Stock is a corpse with the media. Give me prime anyday.

Prime stays in front and gets pub for Colorado which gets the attention of recruits. He knows this. As soon as he gets the top DL and OL and builds depth there, it's a wrap. I don't want humility in my HC. Humility is the front part of humiliation which is what happened to us Saturday night. I want a warrior/hype man/motivator who knows who he is. Prime is not arrogant at all. He did that. Everything he says, he did that. The only athlete to play in 2 superbowls and a world series. He has put together a good coaching staff. He kinda knows this football stuff.

If we want mediocre and humble, I guess we got our guy. LOL. Stock is a corpse with the media. Give me prime anyday.
He beat up HBCUs by simply having a massive gap in talent. That’s not happening at a P5 school. Let’s not forget how they played in the celebration bowls against inferior opponents. He brings a lot of publicity which is great but I highly doubt he is going to be a good coach. His team beat a vastly overrated TCU that was gutted in the offseason by 3 points. I like Deion but it’s far from a wrap. They will get to 3-0 with a lot of hype then get an embarrassingly bad blow out to Oregon that brings everyone back to reality. Just my opinion.

Keep in mind Colorado plays the hardest schedule in the country. We'll know soon enough how real they are. Reality says they will fight for 6-6, maybe 7-5. Afterall, it is still Colorado. It'll take another year or two before we can really see the fruits of his recruiting and systems in place. Hopefully his assistants don't get raided this off-season so they can keep some continuity in place, but I suspect lots of schools and AD's will want a piece of the prime hype and hire his assistants away.

He beat up HBCUs by simply having a massive gap in talent. That’s not happening at a P5 school. Let’s not forget how they played in the celebration bowls against inferior opponents. He brings a lot of publicity which is great but I highly doubt he is going to be a good coach. His team beat a vastly overrated TCU that was gutted in the offseason by 3 points. I like Deion but it’s far from a wrap. They will get to 3-0 with a lot of hype then get an embarrassingly bad blow out to Oregon that brings everyone back to reality. Just my opinion.
It don't matter man. He still had to get those players there. He had NOTHING to recruit with at JSU. No assets. HE went and got those players. HE went and got corporations to put in and build up. If it was so effing easy, why didn't anyone else do it before him? JSU was the worst program in FCS when he stepped in. Plus his coaches are better than the ones he had at JSU. Also, I said it is a wrap once he brings in the big DL's and OL's which is a year or 2 away.

I guarantee you that Colorado plays Oregon a hell of a lot better than we play WKU and Prime just got there. Our corpse has been here for 2 decades.

I love how TCU is now a bad team but last Friday, they were defending national runner ups. LOL. This TCU team would still skulldrag us. So what does that say about us?

I love how TCU is now a bad team but last Friday, they were defending national runner ups. LOL. This TCU team would still skulldrag us. So what does that say about us?
That we’re a G5 and they are a P5? Really…

Schedule rest of the way is tough

Nebraska
Colorado State
At Oregon
Southern Cal
at ASU
Stanford
At UCLA
Oregon State
Arizona
ATWazzu
@ Utah

Aikman: “He’s got a good staff, they’re really well coached. You know, I think Deion is far more old-school as a coach than he ever was as a player. And it makes sense. For what he did as a corner, you know, he could be an individual and still do his job and be the showman that he was. And he clearly is still a showman as a coach, but he’s got to bring all these players together and he does an amazing job with it. I follow him on Instagram, I’m sure many of you do, as well, and his messaging to the team I just think is outstanding. These players, they want to play for him and they relate to him.

“I don’t know of any other player — I’m trying to think offhand — for a guy who has been as far removed from the game as long as he has that is still relevant as a player. His playing career is still relevant to these kids coming out of high school. They know who Deion Sanders is, they imitate him after they get interceptions or scoring touchdowns. We see it in the league. It’s pretty phenomenal. And his reach is amazing. I mean, the people that he knows that come in and visit the team, and it’s only going to get bigger. I mean, if they continue to win, there’s going to be more and more of these top recruits that are going to want to play for him. There’s not a living room in America that he can’t get into and at least have a crack at signing one of these young, blue-chip athletes. So, more power to him. I’m really proud of him.”

Reactions: SpaceRaider
To be fair, we could probably beat Nebraska. They are so bad. Curious to see how they match up with oregon.

Reactions: ewglenn and Hop45
To be fair, we could probably beat Nebraska. They are so bad. Curious to see how they match up with oregon.
Nebraska's D is good. Their offense is terrible. 3 unforced fumbles off of QB exchanges. Oregon almost lost to Texas Tech last night. They didn't look like world beaters either.

Deion is gonna tune up Colorado St next week while Murray St should be a good patsy to get the Blue Raiders to 2-2 before the trip up I-65 to Bowling Green.

Then we’ll see what happens. I want to believe but it could be deja vu all over again.

All respect to what Deion's done in 2 games. They look pretty good. Especially the QB and Travis Hunter.

BUT......both TCU and Nebraska have horrible QB situations, and I'm not sure we'd be talking about them the same with if both opponents had even average QB play in those games.

They've got Oregon and USC 2-3 weeks from now.

All respect to what Deion's done in 2 games. They look pretty good. Especially the QB and Travis Hunter.

BUT......both TCU and Nebraska have horrible QB situations, and I'm not sure we'd be talking about them the same with if both opponents had even average QB play in those games.

They've got Oregon and USC 2-3 weeks from now.
Very true. I think the "oh they are great" hype is a bit much. But if they hit 3-0, I still think they can pull out another 3 wins to make a bowl. I know Deion talks of more, but to me a bowl and a win especially is a huge accomplishment in year one with so many new players to integrate as a team.

Now for year 18 on the other hand.....

Reactions: Hop45
It doesn't matter if they are good or bad. They are 2-0 and their program is being revived regardless of the season outcome. This is all about recruiting right now and I'm telling everybody that Prime will have one of the best recruiting classes this season period. The hype and product right now is undeniable from a recruiting perspective. Deion is doing his job in a phenominal way from the assembly of the coaching staff and the recruiting front. Hats off. We would kill for a coach like that and an AD who gets it.

Your last sentence is where my brain is JT. I’m not going to nitpick CO’s wins this season but their commitment to excellence makes me jealous.

Across America many people are in agreement on one thing about Deion & Colorado. If Colorado goes 9-3 or 10-2 this year they will undoubtedly be considered the worst 9-3 or 10-2 college football team in the history of college football. 🤣

we will see what CU is in 2 weeks ans beyond. That's schedule gets a lot tougher with competent QBs and defenses

They are playing well. I’m interested to see them against Oregon, Washington and USC.

They are playing well. I’m interested to see them against Oregon, Washington and USC.
They won't beat USC, and they don't play Washington in the regular season. But the way Oregon looked this weekend....they need to be on upset alert.

Reactions: ewglenn
They do play Washington St. though and Wash st. just walked in to Wisconsin and beat them straight up.

They do play Washington St. though and Wash st. just walked in to Wisconsin and beat them straight up.
Game was in Pullman. I had wazoo moneyline. Wisconsin overrated as always, wazoo QB best player on the field (and will be for most games they play this year)

Looks like the Deion hype train ran smack into a wall today.

In all seriousness, good job for turning around CU. They didn't beat any good teams (TCU, NU, CSU), but those were also games that CU would have lost last few years.

The hype had reached preposterous levels though.

Reactions: ewglenn and mtfblue
Looks like the Deion hype train ran smack into a wall today.

In all seriousness, good job for turning around CU. They didn't beat any good teams (TCU, NU, CSU), but those were also games that CU would have lost last few years.

The hype had reached preposterous levels though.
Lanning is going to try the run the score up...did you hear his pre-game speech. They playing for clicks we playing for wins.

I mean we all expected this but still. He's proved you can improve. I've always said this year should show marginal improvement. Next year is a different story after having this year to see what he needs. .... like a freaking revamped offensive line. I think he still will make a bowl. I'd call that an accomplishment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT