ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Only 1 from cusa.

Really curious where the players that entered the portal land. A piece of me thinks that the next version of CUSA had a play in it somehow as a worse conference going forward regardless of what the incoming schools are doing.

Really curious where the players that entered the portal land. A piece of me thinks that the next version of CUSA had a play in it somehow as a worse conference going forward regardless of what the incoming schools are doing.
How is it the worse conference going forward? KSU was in the dance, beat LU to get there. If anything, CUSA in all sports should be the same or better. As a conference your only keeping one historically bad schools in FIU, while Rice, FAU, Charlotte and NT leave. UTSA made their run and expect them to backslide.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Yeah I agree that I don’t think the conference played a factor. The conference isn’t going to be that bad. Personally I think it will be much better than the MAC. I just wish we’d end up in a southeastern conference. I love UTEP and NMSU but we shouldn’t be in the same conference based off geography.

Yeah I agree that I don’t think the conference played a factor. The conference isn’t going to be that bad. Personally I think it will be much better than the MAC. I just wish we’d end up in a southeastern conference. I love UTEP and NMSU but we shouldn’t be in the same conference based off geography.
Agreed. Name and especially facilities/budget wise there may be a difference in the new schools, but competition wise it isn't that far off in basketball especially.

Yeah. I don’t see that at all. I see furthering of a one bid league. That’s how I would gauge a conference success. Damned be the rpi or net ratings.

Anyways. It doesn’t matter. Just curious where they end up.

Last edited:
Southern Conf in Bball is interesting. I take my kiddos to a bunch of UTC games to fill the days and there is usually a nice crowd there.

I do think CUSA Bball (newest version) is better than SoCon though. Just like FB, I think it is better to be a big fish in a small pond than vice versa.

Reactions: ewglenn and mtfblue
Southern Conf in Bball is interesting. I take my kiddos to a bunch of UTC games to fill the days and there is usually a nice crowd there.

I do think CUSA Bball (newest version) is better than SoCon though. Just like FB, I think it is better to be a big fish in a small pond than vice versa.
SOCON has a nice niche. UTC has a pretty solid following so I imagine the games are enjoyable. I think CUSA 4.0 is going to be a very good MBB conference. I just wish we could be a little more regional. VA to NM is too spread out for a G5 conference.

SOCON has a nice niche. UTC has a pretty solid following so I imagine the games are enjoyable. I think CUSA 4.0 is going to be a very good MBB conference. I just wish we could be a little more regional. VA to NM is too spread out for a G5 conference.
Yes and no. NMSU and UTEP belong in the MWC absolutely. But there is only 300 miles more between our farthest two (Liberty/NMSU) compared to the SBC (ODU/TX St.). 1800 vs 1500.

Once you start adding TX schools (which is a must) it really doesn't change much. FIU is our real outlier now as it's almost 2000 miles to NMSU (of course much shorter flying)

Boise to NMSU is 1100.

Yeah. I don’t see that at all. I see furthering of a one bid league. That’s how I would gauge a conference success. Damned be the rpi or net ratings.

Anyways. It doesn’t matter. Just curious where they end up.

Looking where C-USA is on the “totem pole” of basketball conferences, it appears we are flirting with low major treatment. Especially with the new teams and their perceived strength. Case in point years ago (1998) Murray State was a #9 Seed and played Rhode Island after going 28-3, OVC champions, and being ranked 25– where Florida Atlantic is this year. Florida Atlantic got this years #9 seed and fortunately performed better in the tournament than Murray did back in 1998. Point is a 3-loss team garners a #9 seed at best in the eyes of selection committee whether in OVC or C-USA because top/bottom conference SOS drags the leader down so far and it sets up a situation where conference leader has to be nearly perfect in conference to have at large consideration. We will never know for sure, had MT defeated FAU in C-USA tournament, would the conference received two bids? My conjecture would have placed them in the last teams in (11 play in), but think it was closer to 50/50 of making it or not. FAU would have been solidly okay losing the finals to UAB. Let’s hope the Owls keep winning because it may help things for a few years on revenue shares.

I guess the AAC is happy with their future. Charlotte winning the CBI and UAB & UNT are both still alive in the NIT.

One bid league still
All 4 teams representing CUSA in postseason will be moving on next year. Appears MT, LaTech, & WKU losing at minimum Davion McKnight all getting pounded by the portal. Unless remaining core teams hit home runs in recruiting or in the portal as well, shouldn't be surprised if Kennesaw St & Liberty make a run for CUSA men's basketball title next year. KSU should have won their 1st round game this year.

Incredible run by FAU. Just reviewed their roster. Amazing how truly young this squad is & to be playing the way they are currently. A Redshirt freshman, sophomores & juniors mostly. Hope FAU fans enjoy the glory while they can. Coach May will get a multimillion $ contract shortly at a major P5 & will be sure to bring 2-3 of his best for big time NIL packages with him. The remainder will hit the portal like rats from a sinking ship. We've been there & seen it. Will be sure to hit Boca Raton too. Enjoy it now FAU fans while you can & congrats.

Incredible run by FAU. Just reviewed their roster. Amazing how truly young this squad is & to be playing the way they are currently. A Redshirt freshman, sophomores & juniors mostly. Hope FAU fans enjoy the glory while they can. Coach May will get a multimillion $ contract shortly at a major P5 & will be sure to bring 2-3 of his best for big time NIL packages with him. The remainder will hit the portal like rats from a sinking ship. We've been there & seen it. Will be sure to hit Boca Raton too. Enjoy it now FAU fans while you can & congrats.
Maybe we can snatch one or two up.

This tournament will probably upset the NCAA so much that all schools & conferences outside of Power 6 will have to be shifted to Division II.

Glad to see the Tide go down and not really surprised at Houston falling either.That seeding was very suspect in my eyes. Talk about convenient 'narrative' if they had made the final four.

5 of the elite 8 teams left are from so-called non power 5 conferences . While the SEC and Big !0 had 16 teams combined invited to the Big Dance and now they have none. Not sure FAU would have even received an invitation if they had lost to us in the tournament. System is certainly rigged in favor of the bigger conferences. Don’t see it ever changing, even if they expand the tournament.

5 of the elite 8 teams left are from so-called non power 5 conferences . While the SEC and Big !0 had 16 teams combined invited to the Big Dance and now they have none. Not sure FAU would have even received an invitation if they had lost to us in the tournament. System is certainly rigged in favor of the bigger conferences. Don’t see it ever changing, even if they expand the tournament.
About ncaa being rigged for bigger conferences, even all the media's bought in as well. LMAO seeing the new Nissan commercial with the young man riding to the finals with UNC cut into his hairline & UNC mascot riding in back seat. Somewhat strange since UNC didn't even make the tournament this year.🤣

Reactions: SpaceRaider
And FAU is in the Final Four. Holy freaking cow what a game.

Another $300k for the conference.

Big East is a “power” conference in basketball

And FAU is in the Final Four. Holy freaking cow what a game.

Another $300k for the conference.
What a tremendous win for FAU tonight. Their kids had ice water in their veins in front of an amazing house at the MSG. Played as if they never had a doubt about being there. You have to be happy for them with a big time tip of the hat.

I love that team. A small part of me is jealous because it isn’t us, but that is just dumb. There is a little bit of right place right time with them, but all championships are won with a little luck sprinkled in. They are a great team to watch.

If Lawrence & Lenard Jr. had 1 ounce of common sense they would see how close their MT team was to being an extremely competitive team after seeing what FAU has done nationally & rescind their decision on the transfer portal. CNM put together a team that stood toe to toe with FAU despite having a season beginning blown knee to their best starting guard in Jalen Jordan. With the possibility of having practically the entire team back, we were literally a couple of quality players away from being on the big stage ourselves.
I understand the allure for a fresh start & NIL money even though there are no guarantees there either. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees. But man I could see this team being so very close to being really really good.

The allure of greener pastures which often doesn’t work out how most players see it happening…

Reactions: ewglenn
I love that team. A small part of me is jealous because it isn’t us, but that is just dumb. There is a little bit of right place right time with them, but all championships are won with a little luck sprinkled in. They are a great team to watch.

2022-2023 Florida Atlantic Basketball is a picture of how close Middle Tennessee can be in Final Four or perhaps winning it all. The Blue Raiders handed the Owls one of its three defeats in regular season and an eyelash away from winning its semifinal in the C-USA tournament. Even wonder had MT won the C-USA semifinal whether they would have made the tournament—it’s within realm of possibility they would be left out. The Mississippi loss early in season (to Kermit’s team) was a “bad loss” and fourth loss (2 to MT) may have been one too many.

That said, winning 35 games is no accident. That level of winning is about team chemistry, application of superior skill sets, wise coaching, and a “refuse to lose” attitude every day which is poise and toughness. The Owls demonstrated consistency whereas the Blue Raiders demonstrate stubbed toes in moments/game stretches whenever it counted more—this year and years past. Sometimes, good fortune and matchups play a role, but in the end mental focus and precision skill execution that rack up wins consistently.

Florida Atlantic has the “winning in paradise” moniker on their football field (and elsewhere?) whereas we have our coaches speak of “we compete”. Right there, that’s a huge difference…setting expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT