ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss Coach Kennedy Leaving at end of Year

hate to see AK go. He did far better at Ole Miss for longer than any one could do there, and he was good and unafraid to play MT...

I know he has said he does not want to move at his age but I know a Mississippi school that comes calling will definitely peak his interest. Think his first concern is with his family and how happy they seem here.

I have a good feeling they are going to make an all out push for Kermit. After the personal @$$-beating's his squads have delivered to Ole Miss, I think he will be their #1 guy.

Will be a tough choice for him. I think this is the year where Kermit gets a lot of pressure to leave for bigger schools. He's had too much success here to continue to be ignored.

I have a good feeling they are going to make an all out push for Kermit. After the personal @$$-beating's his squads have delivered to Ole Miss, I think he will be their #1 guy.

Will be a tough choice for him. I think this is the year where Kermit gets a lot of pressure to leave for bigger schools. He's had too much success here to continue to be ignored.

I'm more worried about UGA than Ole Miss. Mark Fox will be gone soon. Kermit has relationships and recruits Georgia well.

Thad Matta is reporting in Oxford interviewing for Ole Miss.

Matt Insell was fired on the girl's side.

I posted on facebook a couple of hours ago that I wouldn't mind seeing him come and be on Rick's staff. Matt has been a decent recruiter and Rick needs some help in that area...

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOleBlue
I heard that Rick tried to hire Matt in the past but the board of regents (or whoever has to approve these things) nixed it.

I heard that Rick tried to hire Matt in the past but the board of regents (or whoever has to approve these things) nixed it.
I get the rule on nepotism but it's not like Matt Insell would not now be extremely qualified to be an assistant if there were a spot. He was at Kentucky and HC at Ole Miss.

Don’t see a Mississippi State guy going to Ole Miss. Once GTHOM is in your blood, it doesn’t leave.

I hope you are correct. I've wondered a few times the last week or two just what type of dynamic would be at work for a Miss St family. Generally speaking, I don't think Ole Miss would have that much appeal except for being in his home state. Being near home is a pretty big deal though.

I haven't really been concerned with any other possible openings yet. If Louisville weren't such a mess, that type of program would be of tremendous concern to me. I would be really surprised if Kermit had any interest in rebuilding a program mired in scandal and possible sanctions.

I definitely don't think "big programs" have been ignoring Kermit. I just don't think Kermit is interested as he and his family really seem to be at home in Murfreesboro. It took years, but this season is a perfect example of having his system installed. At the end of last season, I figured there might be a slight drop off after losing key players. That does not seem to be an issue now. Who knows how far this team could go? They are coming together and getting hot at the exact perfect time.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kermit would likely seriously consider a good match of a job for him. Not just any P5 job. The type of program that could offer $3+ million a year, is still on top of the national scene, and is a situation where Kermit could step in and pursue Final Fours. I think that type of program could present a situation that Kermit just might seriously consider.

Positives: M'boro and MTSU is home for Kermit and family. It's his program with his system installed. Higher rated recruits seem to be taking serious interest in Kermit and MT. He could stay here until he is ready to retire one day. He would retire a legend. Fan support is improving with potential to be an excellent fanbase. His success is bound to provide good momentum for significant facilities upgrades that are currently being developed. With continued success and growing fan support, certainly more revenues will be available to continue to increase Kermit's pay to get him to the place of the type of pay he has earned.

I honestly don’t see Kermit leaving. He isn’t a money chaser. Could’ve left long ago for that. We are to the point now he can honestly tell recruits,

Want to win 20+ games a year, come here.
Want to win conference titles, come here
Want to be ranked, come here
Want to play in the tournament every year, come here
Want to advance every year, come here

There’s very few schools that can say those things. And if he can say it here where his family is happy, why leave?

I completely agree. I also believe that Kermit thrives on beating down the P5s. That has to deliver great satisfaction. When you win as an underdog, it is simply more satisfying. He has a great flow of talent coming in and the community loves him so I don't think he would leave. We also talk a lot about how our players improve as the season progresses but I also think our coaching staff works really hard to improve every single day. We are very very lucky to have him as our coach. Sure hope he gets paid in addition to all the bonuses he will make this year.

Absolutely. That is just one of the many things about Kermit and staff that I love watching, the individual players and team continue to improve throughout the season. He continues to improve and develop all of the players in all of the detailed areas of their game. That in addition to the intricate details of the team's performance in each aspect of the game.

In my opinion, Kermit has that element that most of the great championship coaches seem to possess, an almost obsessive focus on and demand for getting everything right down to the details. He is then able to institute that and demand that focus and execution from his players and team.

Don't get wrong, I don't think Kermit is looking to up and leave MT. We are incredibly fortunate to have Kermit and his dedication to MT. In my opinion, it's a great fit for all involved. Also, MT does not need to ever get complacent about supporting Kermit and the team including trying to get him to the pay he deserves and the good facilities the program deserves.

I'm sure he would have already had a ton of opportunities to leave if that is what he wanted to do. This speaks to something else I really respect about Kermit, in my view Kermit does not appear to be greedy. I respect that.

MT is on the cusp of some really good things, I believe, personnel wise in the coming seasons as CKD reaps the recruiting rewards of these past couple of seasons. CKD can leverage whatever interest he receives into more investment into MT basketball. I would be extremely surprised if he were to leave and uproot his family from this community...

Reactions: MTOleBlue
That’s how I see it. Kermit Davis is royalty in the community. He has a special needs daughter that so many absolutely love. I could argue that Davis is the most well known name in town and on campus. The only way he leaves is if it is a perfect fit and one of the top 5-10 salaries in all of college basketball. That said... I just don’t see ole miss, or anyone else for that matter, making him an offer he can’t refuse. He is going to be consistently winning 22+ games a year here for the next decade. That is a legacy that gets courts and arenas named after you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT