ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL OL coach...

MTsumner92

All American
Jul 31, 2005
Hendersonville
How many are unhappy about our OL performance this year? I know I am. Depth issues? Our DL coach saw the DL depth issues and solved it. Our OL coach didn't see it and we suffered. Lack of development seems to be an issue. Our two most experienced guys seemed to take a step backwards this year. What am I missing?

This is the first year we haven’t had a decent online. D line has been a constant concern. It’s most likely a talent issue more than a coaching issue

I believe Brewer, Johnson, Behanan and Hamilton missed games... below is the OL preview from this past august

Position Breakdown: Offensive Line
By Josh Vardaman, Athletic Communications/August 22

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - It's often said that an offense is only as good as its offensive line, and Middle Tennessee's record-setting attack from the past few seasons fit the bill with one of the best groups in the nation.

The Blue Raiders have ranked in the top 25 nationally in fewest sacks allowed five times in the last six seasons, including an 11th-place finish in 2016 (1.08 allowed per game). In 2017, though, some question marks hover over the offensive line that will have to be answered by the time Vanderbilt travels to Floyd Stadium on Sept. 2 for the season opener.

"We've had some movement over the past few days with guys moving up and down, and I'm sure that'll continue through the week," offensive line coach Rick Mallory said. "We're finding the best five guys that we can get on the field at the same time, and it's a continuous search for that, it's a process.

"We're looking for consistency and performance, and who can do the things we need them to do when they get a little gassed."

Through three weeks of 2016 fall camp, MT had starters and even some backups in place along the line. Daniel Stephens was set at center, Josh Chester and Chandler Brewer flanked him on either side at guard, and Carlos Johnson and Maurquice Shakir were planted at the tackle positions.

With one week left in 2017 camp, the scene is much different. Stephens, Chester, Shakir and main backup Hunter Rodgers are all gone, and with them went 167 combined games played and 98 starts over the past four years. Only Brewer and Johnson are back, and around them are a cast of some new faces and guys getting the opportunity to step into bigger roles.

"We have a lot of competition in the group right now," Brewer said. "The young guys have to keep going, and for us older guys who've played a lot, we have to have that leadership to get us rolling. Details are a big deal in this game, and we have to come out here every day and get better at those details."

Brewer, a junior, brings the most experience to the group. He's started 24 of 26 games as a Blue Raider, ranking second on the team. Johnson, a redshirt junior, has played in 18 games with 13 starts, and he was one of the main cogs of the line in 2016 before an ankle injury forced him to miss the last three games of the regular season.

With Johnson out, redshirt junior Robert Behanan stepped in and made two spot starts at tackle the last two weeks of the regular season. He was moved over to center in the spring, and has impressed there so far through camp.

"He's shown great potential," Brewer said. "He's shown he can be a leader in the middle of the line. I was used to playing with Dan [Stephens] there, but Rob has stepped in and been awesome so far. I'm excited for him."

A handful of players have cycled through the left side of the line in camp. Redshirt seniors Conner Trent (20 games played at MT with no starts) and Lucas Hamilton (three starts at tight end for the Blue Raiders), sophomore Amir Luckett (Scottsdale Community College transfer), and freshmen D.J. Delfendahl and Elijah Dobbins have all gotten considerable playing time.

Mallory is hoping some of them can separate themselves from the pack over the next 11 days.

"Right now, one guy will have a good day then come right back and have a bad day," he said. "There's a human tendency that when you think you've arrived, you get complacent. We've seen that in some of our kids.

"We're fighting human nature, but we'll find five tough guys to put on the field in 11 days."

I think it was a combination of all things. Hope they come to play next Saturday as the Arkansas St front is really good.

I've been saying for 2 years now that Mallory needs to go. OL coach is not his natural position so we need someone who can coach them better. We've given up more sacks and such since Wade left and it's only gonna get worse with him. I wish we could get Earlabee back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT