ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING OC? DC?

I’m not surprised.

1. I imagine that DM probably didn’t think he would get another HC opportunity.

2. Since taking the year off, he indicated if he went back to coach he was planning for that to be in the NFL.

He likely needs some extra time to identify options. It’s not likely he’s kept a short list of potential options over the past few years.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
If you are a coach coming from elsewhere, it doesn't. If you've been away from coaching, it does. He hasn't been a HC in 3 years so it's gonna take time. Not knocking it, just the reality. I like his OL coach choice so he should be able to make some decent hires. I hope so.

Reactions: Hop45
And you can look at the OL hire as the first step. Any OC or even potential move up to that level who is worth a snot knows our OL was awful for the last decade plus. Hiring a SEC & NFL starting Super Bowl winner as OL coach shows both us fans and OC candidates that CDM is serious about winning the line of scrimmage. Not to mention what it shows to Vatiatto and Riles along with whoever else we are recruting.

He said he wanted to copy LU/Jax/NMSU. 9 of the top 13 rushers in CUSA were from those three schools. LU had two 1k yd players and all 9 were over 500yds. We've only had two 1k yd in the last 8yrs.

as long as we don’t end up with Will Friend, Karl Dorrell, or the like then he can take his time.

Last edited:
A bunch of recruits coming this weekend and the portal wide open. Yet we don’t have several key coaching positions locked down? Hmm.

If I am a recruit or transfer athlete, I’m not considering MT until I know who is coaching and what style/systems they will run. I still feel like there isn’t any clarity.

Mason needs to accelerate his timeline.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
I'm honestly wondering if Mitch is staying. He's been recruting this past week. I get they all should be as it is still their job, but still. Nothing has been announced one way or the other. It would help Nick and Riles have some continuity. With a decent OL, his system would be better.

Reactions: Hop45
I'm honestly wondering if Mitch is staying. He's been recruting this past week. I get they all should be as it is still their job, but still. Nothing has been announced one way or the other. It would help Nick and Riles have some continuity. With a decent OL, his system would be better.

I was thinking the same thing. It is possible Mitch and most the offensive staff stays.

I honestly think Mitch was decent. He was limited by Rick and he has a decent resume. We just didn’t have players that could really run his offense effectively. The OL was horrible, which caused us to not establish a run game. We all know what the issue was with that. Then our WR core had no separation speed so we couldn’t do much on the deep ball. I think if he was allowed to run it completely his way we could do a lot worse hiring an OC than him. We just need to recruit better. Just my 2 cents.

I was thinking the same thing. It is possible Mitch and most the offensive staff stays.
Unacceptable. At a very MINIMUM, Polly and Mallory should go.

Also FWIW, and I don't recall if this has been mentioned anywhere yet, but Scott Shafer is no longer listed on the coaching staff page at goblueraiders.com. And neither is Alex Suber...

And YES, neither is Tommy F'n West!!!

Also FWIW, and I don't recall if this has been mentioned anywhere yet, but Scott Shafer is no longer listed on the coaching staff page at goblueraiders.com. And neither is Alex Suber...

Mason hired his own OL coach, don't think you got anything to worry about there. I would like to see what Stewart could do with even an average OL.

Mason hired his own OL coach, don't think you got anything to worry about there. I would like to see what Stewart could do with even an average OL.
Just hoping that neither Mallory or Polly get re-assigned within the staff. Time to "future endeavor" them. But yeah, you're right about the new OL coach.

Isn’t Stewart more of an Air Raid/Spread offense guy and Mason wants more a balanced pro style? I know he said he needs a QB under center at times.

Tommy West is going back to Memphis as one of their Defensive Assistants. Their fanbase on Twitter are not happy about this.

Isn’t Stewart more of an Air Raid/Spread offense guy and Mason wants more a balanced pro style? I know he said he needs a QB under center at times.
Yeah Stewart is more of an air it out type of OC. It seemed to me that he wanted to establish a run game but our OL couldn’t hold up. I think he could make it happen if he was given full access to the offense. I think most of it is about recruiting better.

Tommy West is going back to Memphis as one of their Defensive Assistants. Their fanbase on Twitter are not happy about this.

Gotta keep that Tennessee state retirement on track.

I believe I heard Stock say Tommy West was retiring in the interview he did on the Clemson podcast.
Hell, he “retired” from being a legitimate, active recruiter in 2009 when he left Memphis. And even before then, he would no-show for barbecue functions catered for the Memphis area high school coaches at the Memphis practice facility.

Last edited:
Hell, he “retired” from being a legitimate, active recruiter in 2009 when he left Memphis. And even before then, he would no-show at barbecue functions catered for the Memphis area high school coaches at the Memphis practice facility.
No wonder they were both such good friends.

Well, CDM hired a new OL coach and he is an improvement so Mallory is gone. Polly is still around so I don't know about him. I would start fresh with a new OC personally but we will see.

Well, CDM hired a new OL coach and he is an improvement so Mallory is gone. Polly is still around so I don't know about him. I would start fresh with a new OC personally but we will see.
I would not be completely opposed to keeping Mitch as OC as I don’t think he was able to run the offense like he wanted with Stock and Oline issues. I would prefer a fresh start, but he has only been here one season. The longer we go without a different OC it seems more likely he is staying.

Keeping Mitch would be fine. He's a pretty good play caller. Don't want to see too much offensive staff retained honestly, but I could live with Mitch.

Mason would be wise to keep Royston on staff. He's the best recruiter we had and he recruited a lot of the players on our current roster and some in the portal which would help with retention and some familiarity.

Like any group of employees some put in their best work efforts without mgmt hav to push them while others will coast along if no one's there to motivate & drive them. If multiple staff members are retained no doubt some may be in for a wake up. Doesn't appear CDM will be the type to accept coaches who strictly like to recruit lower division players from the creature comforts of their coaches office & then happily calling it a day. Hopefully all of those types have already been weeded out though.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Mason said he wants to finish signing day first then complete staff before the new year. He’s not in any hurry.

Reactions: ewglenn
I would be very surprised if DM retained the old OC. Looks like he's wanting someone who really catches the eye of a young athlete to come here. I think he's looking for a coach with some prior power 5 or past pro affiliation that makes a player go "wow".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT