ADVERTISEMENT

Obama's America: Look what happened to the coach who criticized Obama

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
Did you see this Mike? A boy's lacrosse coach in Maine was fired because he challenged Obama on Islam's role in American history on Facebook.

In an effort to continuously pander to the Islamic community, President Obama has repeatedly made the claim the religion of Islam has played an integral part in building the greatest nation on earth.
Funny, I don't recall the Founders ever quoting the Qur'an when establishing the foundations of America, although I do seem to recall a few of them being big fans of this Jesus character and something called the "Holy Bible."
Anyways, a lacrosse coach from Maine took issue with the president's ridiculous attempt at coddling the Muslim community so he shared an open letter on Facebook written to Obama which challenged this statement.
Unfortunately, this decision to exercise his First Amendment right to freedom of speech cost him his job.
From Right Scoop:
A lacrosse coach in Maine lost his job after sharing an open letter to Obama questioning the idea that Islam has long been a part of American history. Sent to him by a friend, he shared it on Facebook to invoke discussion about it but after word got back to school officials, his job was gone only two days after the original posting:
Conway Daily Sun- After four years at the helm of Fryeburg Academy's boys lacrosse team, Scott Lees of Conway said he was forced by academy officials to resign as head coach after sharing on Facebook an open letter to President Barack Obama that was unflattering to Muslims.
The letter, written by "An American Citizen," was about Obama's speech given in Cairo in 2009. In that speech and in another made last month, the president said Islam has long been a part of American history.
In the first part of the letter, it wonders whether anyone has have ever seen a Muslim hospital or heard a Muslim orchestra. The writer goes on to charge that Muslims "are still the largest traffickers in human slavery," that they were allied with Adolf Hitler in World War II and that they were either pleased with or silent on the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The writer adds that the Barbary pirates were Muslims.
"I just thought it was an interesting article," said Lees, who added he's a politically minded independent conservative. "I thought it was an interesting letter to President Obama and his current administration who are not paying attention to Israel and focusing on Iran."
Lees, 48, shared the letter on his personal Facebook page on March 17. Two days later, he was handing in his resignation as Fryeburg Academy's lacrosse coach. He said that although he was supposed to meet with Head of Schools Erin Mayo and Dean Charlie Tryder on March 19, Athletic Director Sue Thurston told him a decision to fire him had already been made.[/QUOTE]
The question that now needs to be asked is whether or not the school had the right to fire Lees, and if they do, should they have?
I think the answer to the first part is yes, but no to the second.
Seeing as how the school is a private school, they do indeed have the right to fire an employee for saying something they deem to be hurtful to the institution's image.
If the government is in any way funding a school that fires a teacher for expressing an opinion, a case could be made that the government is attempting to silence this person's free speech.
Now, even though they can fire him, should they have?
I don't think so.
For one, his Facebook profile is private, meaning only select individuals can see what he posts. It's not open to the public, so the school's reputation wasn't-in my opinion-in any danger of being tarnished by the letter.
Secondly, it makes the school look close minded and unwelcoming of anyone who holds a differing view than what's held by the status quo. Part of a good education is teaching critical thinking skills, and this requires students to be challenged by allowing different perspectives to be presented.
Firing this teacher stifles this process and essentially makes the institution look like a tool in the hands of progressives who simply want to brainwash kids to be good, unquestioning wards of the state.
The bottom line is this school-like any other private business or organization-can hire or fire whoever they choose for whatever reason they desire.
But just because they can do this, doesn't always justify their choice to do so (see link).

Coach loses job after sharing open letter to Obama

I actually had not heard about this, I will look into it.

While its ridiculous it isn't really surprising. Up here and coming soon near you as liberalism grows you will lose your rights to free speech.

Mike, it's amazing how liberals are willing to relinquish their freedom for security.

quote-those-who-would-give-up-essential-liberty-to-purchase-a-little-temporary-safety-deserve-neither-benjamin-franklin-283040.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT