ADVERTISEMENT

Non-MT: Pastner heading to Georgia Tech

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Per multiple sites and sources, Memphis MBB HC heading to Georgia Tech. Who does Memphis turn to? Does CKD get a look?

As much as I think CKD is a good coach, would Memphis be really interested in a coach has only won one conference tourney in a decade and a half at his current job. I would have to think there are more popular choices in the minds of tiger fans.

Tommy West never won a CUSA title yet in 2005, told RC Johnson, "Ole Miss is interested." RC said, "no they aren't because I've already talked to them."

The Rebels hired Orgeron.

Negotiation.......,

I agree with this.

CKD's interest in UM is probably his agent's way of driving up the $$$ we give him, especially after a NCAA tourney.
Smart move. But if I'm Massaro, I saw congratulations, I'm not breaking the piggy bank to keep the offer affordable and within the budget. If the offer is legit, CKD leaves for Memphis. If the offer is just a tactic, CKD stays but a more affordable price.

IIRC, Kermit used Southern Miss openings twice during his early years here as leverage to boost his contract here w/ MT.

After big success to end this season, Kermit has earned a good pay raise. No arguments there. It would be somewhat irritating if Kermit runs for the exit after the folks here at MT have waited almost 15 seasons for Kermit to finally win a conf tourney and a big plus of a win in the tourney. The long long wait of many barely above average seasons is made a lot more tolerable if Kermit stays with MT once he finally does break through with big time success.

My guess is that Kermit stays, but that is based on little to no evidence. Whatever the case, he's clearly earned a pay raise. I hope MT is in a position to give him a reasonable boost in pay.

If he wants it I wish him all the best. I would tell CKD to go if I was CM, in fact, I would say once you have decided that you want to stay at MT then we can finish your deal.

At our level, we simply don't have to pay a huge salary - I think I heard a stat that CKD was the 48th highest paid coach in the tourney. He made about 475K with incentives - his pay is not that far off with our performance. I think you offer him a slight bump in base - say 50-100K but offer him a bigger upside based on winning CUSA championships and NCAA game.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT