ADVERTISEMENT

Neal Brown to West VA

rcodeman

True Blue
Feb 4, 2005
I look at Troy and Western as our two big rivals over the course of the Stockstill era. Both programs have hired and lost superior coaches in that time frame. In fact, out of the coaches hired by Western and Troy, only Mike Sanford could be considered a total bust. I guess that's my whole point. Why were we so afraid of losing the guy? Troy will no doubt hire someone better now that Brown is gone.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
And I gotta tell ya. I am beyond stoked over this hire. The bulk of the fan base is happy as well.

And you are right. Like that other thread. Why can’t we have an AD that thinks like that.

We aren’t asking for national championships here. But I think our ceiling is 10 or so wins every year. Ranked often even if it’s 23 or 24. It’s nice watching a game with that number beside your name.
Division champs at least every 2-3 years and conference champs every 3-4 years. Once a class essentially once everyone gels. That is our ceiling.

Sadly we have and AD that wanted to keep a coach whose ceiling is below that. I’m interested to see who Troy goes after, especially since many are saying most of his staff is coming.

Reactions: MTTim
WV just upgraded without having to pay a severance and I’m assuming collected a buyout from Houston.

They made out great!

I am also an UH grad and they are my second favorite team. A lot of the base are confusing the excitement of offering a big contract and missing out of DH record. My hope is he will do good, but WVU made out like kings on this deal. Meanwhile, Houston feels like they were brilliant, sneaky and and stole from the P5 - its mixed up. WVU were the brilliant one's.

Reactions: Hop45
I honestly think Holgs will do well at UH. The things he had issues with at WVU he won't have there. Money (has an NBA owner now). Recruiting (it's Texas people).

Brown seems much more personable and relate-able. You could tell Holgs didn't enjoy the Coaches Caravan. I think Brown will love it. Plus he is from Appalachia. Not to mention the coach part.

There's a vid out there of Brown pushing the sled in practice because the got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at Nebraska. Same punishment for him as his players. That is freaking AWESOME.

Larry Blakeney was a Troy man. Retired when he knew it was time. We don't have anything near a Blakeney.

I look at Troy and Western as our two big rivals over the course of the Stockstill era. Both programs have hired and lost superior coaches in that time frame. In fact, out of the coaches hired by Western and Troy, only Mike Sanford could be considered a total bust. I guess that's my whole point. Why were we so afraid of losing the guy? Troy will no doubt hire someone better now that Brown is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT