ADVERTISEMENT

Names who might surprise on the defensive side of the ball

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
I'd say we can all agree that our team is only going to go as far as the defense can take it. The offensive firepower and points are going to be there.

Who are some people you guys think might surprise on the defensive side of the ball?

For me, I'm expecting big things from Walter Brady, Moffatt, DJ Sanders, & Darius Harris. I know 3 of the 4 are previous starters, but I really feel like the previous scheme didn't allow these guys to shine. Sanders & Harris are both amazing players but just were not put in the right positions last year (mostly from terrible defensive line play/scheme).

Some other names of interest to consider (Spring practice/Fall camp will be huge for these guys):

Jermel Walker, CB - This guy was signed as a JUCO WR and took a red-shirt year in 2016. His WR film is impressive and with our needs at CB, I could see him playing sooner rather than later. Spring practice will be a big factor for this gentlemen.

Tavares Thomas - I just don't see how they keep this guy off the field. I suppose they could red-shirt him and try to further develop him since we have a solid starting 3 LB's (Sanders, Harris, Melton) but the depth behind these 3 gets a bit shaky. The goal will probably be to red-shirt him, however; he might just be too good to keep off the field, especially if there's any injuries.

OJ Johnson & Rosheem Collins - Two highly rated junior college recruits coming. We have needs both at DL and CB so these guys have a legit chance to come in to spring/fall camp and fight for a starting job. Really hoping OJ is the real deal.

Despite losing Cutrer, I think we are going to be just fine at the CB position. Looking at our roster, we've got some talent to fill the vacated spot left by Cutrer. Minter will continue to lock down the other side while Jermel Walker, Kylan Stribling, OJ Johnson, Wesley Bush, Charvarious Ward, and Farrell-Burke fight for that last spot. Depth should be there too as I really feel like the JUCO DB's we signed this year are legit players. Johnson and Bush should both be solid contributors.

Reactions: VARaider84
Peter Bailey is going to have a great senior year. Hopefully Manicel has been eating and lifting since the season ended. We are going to need him to plug the middle of the line. Poydras as well

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT