ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT's Rick Stockstill discusses Blue Raiders' spring game and more

WKU, La Tech and Marshall. We may face USM for the title if we win those.

Not gonna lie. On offense in the spring game, we were hit and miss. Itavius Mathers and Kimbrow ran well but we need a couple more stable WR's.

On D, we still need some tacklers. The fall should be more productive but right now, it's kinda hard to tell if we have the tools we need to win it all or not. Bing Dukes would have been a key piece to this puzzle but he couldn't do his part to be here.

It's gonna be interesting. Really counting on Reggie Henderson. If Joc and Upton can continue to develop, we could have a great WR corps. Hoping we will.

I'm not worried about the offense at all. I hope the defense will improve and, of course, poor special teams play contributed to a few losses last year.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
No doubt. If we protected the punter or hit a FG, we would have won the Illinois game. Hit a couple FG's and don't fumble twice, we win the Vandy game too.

I'm pretty convinced that Spring games just don't do well in supporting blanket statements or as an indicator for the upcoming season. It seems that Spring & Spring games are pretty good for catching somewhat reliable buzz from coaches regarding the individual players who are improving in areas like skills, strength & conditioning, and/or attitude. Just my experience and observations.

I agree it doesn't tell us how we will be as a team but it seems like there is always a new faces that shines and you can tell they are a star in the making. Richie James didn't get a lot of chatter until he balled out in the spring game. I remember calling a friend after TT Barbers first game saying he was going to start as Freshmen. I remember the first time I saw tanner carry the ball he got swarmed by five guys and pushed them forward about 6 yards. Seems like there is always somebody to be excited about. This year I think it was Upton. Mathers too but he is only here for a year and is a known commodity.

I thought Richie was a true freshman last year which meant he wasn't in the spring game last year since he didn't come here until. Last week would have been his first spring game right? I didn't know much about him at all last year until the first game really. He made some plays in fall camp but I certainly didn't know that he would explode the way he did.

I do agree about Upton and Mathers. Them and Pettis were the stars of the Spring game. Pettis will be a truly legit weapon this year.

I thought Richie was a true freshman last year which meant he wasn't in the spring game last year since he didn't come here until. Last week would have been his first spring game right? I didn't know much about him at all last year until the first game really. He made some plays in fall camp but I certainly didn't know that he would explode the way he did.

I do agree about Upton and Mathers. Them and Pettis were the stars of the Spring game. Pettis will be a truly legit weapon this year.
No I think James had like 3 TDs in last years spring game. He was an RS Freshman last year.

Oh wow. I don't know why I didn't know that. I think KB was a redshirt too when he came in.

I'm hoping the redshirt factor will apply to Bruce, Upton and Brooks this year. If so, our future is very bright. :)

I'm gonna do the Vandy and WKU games. With two SEC caliber RB's and a stable of capable WR's to compliment a returning starter at QB, a CUSA title is not an unreasonable expectation.

However, even with Franklin driving the train, the defense (at the very least) will have to keep his guys on the field. Tommy West and Clay Helton padded a lot of offensive stats between the red zones in a previous life. But he never won a CUSA title. "It's a skill league", claimed West, while So. Miss, UAB and ECU defenses kept hittin' him in the mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT