ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT to play Iowa in 2019

Is that guy intimating further idiotic statements about MT?

No doubt.

The twitterverse reaction hasn't been real positive. I guess their fans thinks they ought to be playing ND, Texas, Southern Cal, or Alabama there in Iowa City.

here's an article:
http://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-h...a-be-playing-in-their-non-conference-schedule
WHO, EXACTLY, SHOULD IOWA BE PLAYING IN THEIR NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE?

excerpt:

...apparently, playing MTSU is a problem. That problem was magnified when Colin Cowherd, the personification of a comment section with a microphone who couldn’t cut it at ESPN so he had to work for the Clay Travis Network cracked a joke on Twitter about the Hawkeyes paying the Blue Raiders $1.55 million to play them. Ah yes, the Iowa press release left that part out. Middle Tennessee however, was happy to point that out on their website: Iowa is paying Middle Tennessee $1.55 million to play them in 2019.

Power 5 teams paying a Group of 5 or FCS school an egregious amount of money for a non-conference game is becoming commonplace. Iowa paid Miami of Ohio $1 million to play them last season. Florida paid UMass $1.25 million in 2016. UT Chattanooga, who Alabama can’t get enough of, was paid $500 thousand in 2016 and will receive similar payment for games against LSU and Kentucky in the future. With the Big Ten going to a 9 game conference schedule, FCS schools are all but out the door and we have to be choosier about who we play.

Yes, Middle Tennessee State is a respectable opponent. But it certainly isn’t a marquee matchup and won’t be a game that national pundits are excited for. It’s also just another meh non-conference game over the next three seasons. In 2017 the Hawkeyes will play Wyoming, who actually won their division last season, and North Texas, who finished 5-7 last season but somehow played in the Heart of Dallas Bowl (and lost). In 2018 Iowa will play NIU, a team that has consistently gotten worse since beating Iowa in 2013 and UNI, who will probably have to shutter their athletic department in the next five years due to budget cuts.

Of course, the constant throughout all of this is Iowa State. Because no matter how many middling MAC or C-USA teams the Hawkeyes schedule, they still have to play, historically, one of the worst programs in college football history. They’re contractually obligated to play the Cyclones through 2021, assuming an extension isn’t signed in the next 5 years. And yeah, Iowa State is a Big 12 team, but no one (no one) respects them and the only time the Cy-Hawk game is mentioned on a national level is when Iowa craps their pants on a last second field goal or the like.

All that being said, it seems a portion of the fanbase believes that Iowa should be putting in an effort to make their non-conference schedule sexier. So I ask: Who is it exactly, Iowa should be scheduling? Alabama? LSU? Another SEC team? A Pac-12 team? Notre Dame? A few things about that attitude.

Remember last year when Oklahoma fans were bitching about being left out of the College Football Playoff despite going undefeated in conference and beating four ranked teams? Well, they lost two non-conference games: to #15 Houston and #3 Ohio State. Sure, it was nice that they scheduled those impressive games…but they lost. This isn’t NCAA basketball. You don’t get rewarded for losing against good teams on a 30+ game schedule. If you lose games, you’re going to be penalized by the CFB Committee......

Not much we can say as a fanbase. I don't like it when we schedule the likes of Austin Peay. If we would win a bowl game or two, we could come in as the team with swagger..."oh yeah, they are a good team". We don't bring any of that. Appy State would be a better crowd pleaser than us right now.

Best way to settle these mouths is to win on the field.

here's another article on the matchup from an iowa POV...
https://allhawkeyes.com/pages/story/details/2152
LIKE IT OR NOT, THE IOWA FOOTBALL TEAM WILL FACE MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE IN 2019

...Hawkeye fans were reminded of that downside on Tuesday when it was announced that Iowa had filled its 2019 nonconference schedule with the addition of Middle Tennessee State.

To say the matchup received a lukewarm response would be an understatement.

Fans reached out to me on Twitter saying Ferentz and Iowa athletic director Gary Barta should be a shamed and embarrassed for scheduling another mid-major program and for agreeing to pay that mid-major program $1.55 million just for being a sacrificial lamb.....

here's one article that doesn't even get our name correct...

Well, well, well, would you look at that — finally, the marquee non-conference Hawkeye football game we’ve been waiting for!

While it would be nice if that sentence was able to be written with legitimacy, this is a Kirk Ferentz/Gary Barta-led program, so instead we get none other than Conference USA power Middle Tennessee State. Joy! The Lightning round out Iowa’s 2019 schedule, which includes other non-con foes Miami Ohio and Iowa State.

Assuming first-round NFL money hasn’t lured him from Iowa City, it’ll be the third game of quarterback Nate Stanley’s senior season.

As Mike Hlas notes, the Lightning will be paid handsomely to play at Kinnick — only $450,000 shy of Sergio Garcia’s Masters takeaway, to be exact. They’re not the world’s most profound program — an 8-5 record last year with a loss to host Hawaii in the Hawaii bowl — but are a respectable opponent. At least by the Ferentzian school of scheduling.

Head coach Rick Stockstill hasn’t had a losing campaign in his last five tries, but has yet to finish with more than eight wins in that stretch. Right in the sweet spot.

In case you’re wondering about future opponents — what other Hawkeye happenings are there? — Iowa gets Wyoming and North Texas next season, followed by UNI and NIU in 2018. Iowa State is, for better or worse, on the schedule for the foreseeable future.

As long as that’s the case, we’re getting September dandies like these.....

Ok, I know they like themselves and everything but didn't they lose to NDSU last year and got destroyed in their bowl game by Florida? They won 8 games. Yeah, they had a great 2015 but again got destroyed in their bowl game. They won 7 in 2014, 8 in 2013 (losing to NIU though) and only won 4 in 2012, the year we destroyed GT and won 8 games.

No offense Iowa but we've played a lot better teams than you. Try Bama in 2015. Oklahoma when they were no. 1, LSU when they were no. 1, Louisville when they were no. 8, etc.

Iowa is a P5 school. They are middle of the pack and sometimes above that but they aren't Bama. Hell we put 10 on them and the team they lost to in the Big10 championship in 2015 when they were awesome, didn't score on Bama at all. Even in the best year they've had in like 6 years (2015), they still didn't win their conference or their bowl game. Sound familiar?

It's the typical "we're too good to play you" crap we always hear. Mizzou talked trash too. Maybe we'll have a good replacement for Stock and a stable core of WR's in 2019. Til then, I'm gonna enjoy these next two years. I'll worry about these corn cob munchers in 2019.

Last edited:
and another article:

Middle Tennessee State: Coming to Iowa in 29 months

excerpt:

...Iowa football’s tradition of not scheduling nonconference spine-tinglers continues with Tuesday’s news the Hawkeyes will host Middle Tennessee State on Sept. 28, 2019

MTSU says it’s getting $1,550,000 for the game. That’s only $450,000 less than Sergio Garcia earned at the Masters Sunday, and Garcia won that tournament.

I can’t tell if Middle Tennessee State is now calling itself Middle Tennessee, or what. I think it’s “Middle Tennessee” in larger words, “State University” in smaller words.

The logo is “MT.” I wonder if they realize when you say “MT” out loud it sounds like “Empty.”

It’s located in Murfreesboro no matter what, and that’s one of the more fun names of university towns. Say it with me. Murfreesboro.

I’m not knocking MTSU football because it’s actually respectable. But respectable doesn’t make the heart beat faster. No one ever circled a date in red because someone or something respectable was coming to town.

Here are the other nonconference teams scheduled for Kinnick Stadium visits in these next three seasons:

2017: Wyoming, North Texas

2018: Northern Illinois, Iowa State, Northern Iowa

2019: Miami (Ohio), Middle Tennessee State

Welcome to the tingle-free zone.....

and another article:

Middle Tennessee State: Coming to Iowa in 29 months

excerpt:

...Iowa football’s tradition of not scheduling nonconference spine-tinglers continues with Tuesday’s news the Hawkeyes will host Middle Tennessee State on Sept. 28, 2019

MTSU says it’s getting $1,550,000 for the game. That’s only $450,000 less than Sergio Garcia earned at the Masters Sunday, and Garcia won that tournament.

I can’t tell if Middle Tennessee State is now calling itself Middle Tennessee, or what. I think it’s “Middle Tennessee” in larger words, “State University” in smaller words.

The logo is “MT.” I wonder if they realize when you say “MT” out loud it sounds like “Empty.”

It’s located in Murfreesboro no matter what, and that’s one of the more fun names of university towns. Say it with me. Murfreesboro.

I’m not knocking MTSU football because it’s actually respectable. But respectable doesn’t make the heart beat faster. No one ever circled a date in red because someone or something respectable was coming to town.

Here are the other nonconference teams scheduled for Kinnick Stadium visits in these next three seasons:

2017: Wyoming, North Texas

2018: Northern Illinois, Iowa State, Northern Iowa

2019: Miami (Ohio), Middle Tennessee State

Welcome to the tingle-free zone.....

Not even Bama fans talk that much crap. Iowa City has 77k population and Murfreesboro alone has 117k. No one from anywhere in Iowa should say jack about where anyone else comes from. I would love to beat those jackasses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT