ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT opens up v Bama next season...

Last time I rode down to Tuscaloosa on the BRAA bus with a couple of friends. MT play fairly well IIRC. Anyway, had a good time. But since the last two road trips I followed MT on the road to were complete and total disasters I swore off them till we have a new head coach which appears to be for life.

We are always bad in Week 1. If we are gonna play Bama, go ahead and get it over with Week 1 IMO.
Can definitely see where you & Doug are coming from. Didn't we pay fcs McNeese State for a game 1 loss as well? Just wish it could have been game 2 or 3 for basically same money. Rick's teams always play better after 1 game under belt

I get it though, as old saying goes, beggars can't be choosers

I get it though, as old saying goes, beggars can't be choosers

I would rather play bad against alabama instead of a conference opponent of fellow G5/FCS.

should be a good tune up for our guys because bama will definitely exploit our weaknesses, and then some

Reactions: ewglenn
Saban will call off the dogs… he’s not the kind of guy that’ll run up the points

I'm with others. We get throttled by Bama, no one will blink an eye. My only request is to at least make it good till halftime.

That's two SEC teams next year though with Mizzou too. Murray and Colorado State at home.

I'm with others. We get throttled by Bama, no one will blink an eye. My only request is to at least make it good till halftime.

That's two SEC teams next year though with Mizzou too. Murray and Colorado State at home.
We have to stop this 2-3 p5 games per year. It kills our post season chances.

I agree, to an extent. I'm all for 1 money game a year.

I'm not against a 2nd P5 at all. But it should be the lower end, a winnable game. I've said before against teams like Rutgers, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Vandy, etc. Granted that is hard to know making schedules years in advance which is why I'd prefer a regional G5 instead of a 2nd P5.

One is probably good. Maybe two. We have to be realistic about where we are budget-wise and how we have to fund the athletic program.

The problem has always been the 2-3 guaranteed conference flops, especially early (see JMU, McNeese, or go way back to FAU's first game). It saps any kind of excitement so by the time October rolls around no one is paying any more attention.

In Stock's 17 years of coaching, we have had an above .500 record only 3 times after the first 6 games (2012, 14, 16). And in 2012, we started off with a morale sapping loss to McNeese.

In 2016, we were 6-2 and coming off a big win at Missouri, and instead of capitalizing on this momentum, we promptly returned home and got blown off the field back to back by UTSA and Marshall.

By the time we actually do get around to winning a few games, no one is paying attention.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
One is probably good. Maybe two. We have to be realistic about where we are budget-wise and how we have to fund the athletic program.

The problem has always been the 2-3 guaranteed conference flops, especially early (see JMU, McNeese, or go way back to FAU's first game). It saps any kind of excitement so by the time October rolls around no one is paying any more attention.

In Stock's 17 years of coaching, we have had an above .500 record only 3 times after the first 6 games (2012, 14, 16). And in 2012, we started off with a morale sapping loss to McNeese.

In 2016, we were 6-2 and coming off a big win at Missouri, and instead of capitalizing on this momentum, we promptly returned home and got blown off the field back to back by UTSA and Marshall.

By the time we actually do get around to winning a few games, no one is paying attention.

Exactly. Stock's first half record through 3 games this year is 43-55. That's counting the first 6 games (5 in 2020).

2nd half, counting bowls as they are extra anyway, he is 60-44.

By the time we get to moving, we've already lost the early season fans.

For example. If we lose to Miami next week, ok. Lose to UTSA at home it'll hurt, but if we lose to UAB, then there won't be squat there for Homecoming against WKU. But say we win that one, then win at UTEP and LAT. We would head home with chance to win and get bowl eligible against Charlotte and no one would care because we are just fighting for that during the 10th game of the year.

And it doesn't help our conference consistently has an overall losing record either. People don't want to see us play against a 2-8 Charlotte. They want a 9-1 ranked UTSA.

I'd almost prefer to stick Bama around game 6 looking at it that way, but everyone prefers non-conference out of the way early.

Agree. OOC schedule needs to be 1 P5 $$$ game, 1 FCS game, 1 G5 home and away series, and either a low-level P5 / another G5 series.

But, here's the kicker : MT has to pay the bills. If MT can't pay the bills with ticket sales & fans in the stands, they have to schedule $$$ games.

This is where you have continued to miss the bigger picture. We are what we are now. We're the season opener or Homecoming cupcake for the Alabama's, Michigans, etc. now. I remember when I was in undergrad at UT playing schools like UTEP and Pacific. Those scores would often be like 56-0. That's who we are for these programs, because there has been absolutely nothing done to grow this program. This is what the three stooges have done to this program. When your leadership rewards mediocrity guess what you get. You get mediocrity and a defacto self imposed Death Penalty for your own program. That's why there hasn't been a single outright conference title since the first MT game I attended in Champaign, IL in 1998.

At one point we were on the rise. Had the chance to be what App St is becoming. Maybe even a Boise but that ship has sailed. We can't even get close to a conference title in our own weak conference most years. At this point, the only thing they care about is balancing the budget and eating their cake.

At least now they have $$$ to repaste the stairs going to the upper deck on the Steel Side.

Seriously? Those needed re-done at my last home game in 2017 against Marshall. There was a food truck on that side, was really good, and my daughter snd I sat on the steps overlooking Reese. Were super rusty with chunks of the concrete broken then.

Reactions: Predarat
I say as long as Stock is the coach schedule 4 Alabama type programs OOC every year. We know were not going to win any conference championships or snag the G5 slot in the playoffs. Might as well rake in the cash. Hell, this year we got thumped by a glorified FCS team. Better to lose to Alabama that bad and make the money. Put the money into facilities so whenever we do get a new coach at least they will have something to work with.

Rutgers, and other not-elite and not-regional Big Ten teams, will probably not be scheduling a team like MT anytime soon. With the Big Ten's 9 conference games, there's little room for scheduling outside of games that either boost the team's ability to compete for a good bowl game (ex: Virginia Tech at home next year) or are games that the team should win (ex: Temple and Ohio at home next year).

Mizzou is trying to weasel out of a return game in Memphis by paying a $250,000 cancellation buyout. The contract was “negotiated” in 2010 by one of the worst AD’s in Memphis history.
Link:
Wants To Move Memphis Game To St. Louis

There was that one time…nevermind

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT