ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT Football Facilities

What happened with Big Boi? I’m newer to MT lol.

Here's a few articles for you to give some perspective.....

Big Boi actually gained much more popularity as a musical artist in the years after this event.
Here’s the thing. That is when they tried to bring people in the gates to watch a game. I don’t know if that was when our average attendance had to meet a specific goal but at least we tried.

now they just don’t give a $hit.

TSU changed their kick-off time that day so their students could come down for the show. Big Boi got 3 songs in before a huge T-storm rolled in, but I did get to hear Rosa Parks, which was cool.

JDB is correct. That was when the NCAA was trying to implement a 15k avg home attendance to maintain your D1 status.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
TSU changed their kick-off time that day so their students could come down for the show. Big Boi got 3 songs in before a huge T-storm rolled in, but I did get to hear Rosa Parks, which was cool.

JDB is correct. That was when the NCAA was trying to implement a 15k avg home attendance to maintain your D1 status.
My soon to be wife and i froze in that storm.

When he left the stage, he said he was going to come back out after the storm blew threw. We just milled about in the rain for a while and gave up and left. It was a disaster, but we got a fun story out of it.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it till it sticks. Lol.

Kill the scoreboard endzone seats and make it all the beer garden. Tiered stair step decking starting at field level as it is now.

Would be unique and a revenue generator as well over and above admission.
I like that idea... Not like it's filling up anytime soon.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I like that idea... Not like it's filling up anytime soon.
Honestly, I don’t see the beer garden crowd as a target market for a college football game but that’s just me. I have no problem if a fan wants to have a beer or two at the game but most folks are there to watch a sporting event, not stand around at the little tables in the end zone and get hammered. Especially in late season 40 degree weather. To each his own.

Reactions: coachchia
I usually pregame in the beer garden. Drink a couple beers an watch warm ups up close and personal. I go to my seat before kickoff, mainly because the beer garden does fill up once the game starts and the tailgaters come into the stadium.

Honestly, I don’t see the beer garden crowd as a target market for a college football game but that’s just me. I have no problem if a fan wants to have a beer or two at the game but most folks are there to watch a sporting event, not stand around at the little tables in the end zone and get hammered. Especially in late season 40 degree weather. To each his own.

Totally get that. That's exactly why I say it needs changed. Field level is nice, but it is hard to see the game. Create the stair step decks to allow the field to be seen. I'd pay to buy a beer to be able to see the game closer.

Granted right now having a bad seat isn't an issue. But the hope always is that seating will become an issue and people will want to get closer to the action. Thinking of the VT game this past season. We had pretty good seats but I easily would've gone closer if given the opportunity. Someone smarter than I am can think of even more ways to make it unique.

Totally get that. That's exactly why I say it needs changed. Field level is nice, but it is hard to see the game. Create the stair step decks to allow the field to be seen. I'd pay to buy a beer to be able to see the game closer.

Granted right now having a bad seat isn't an issue. But the hope always is that seating will become an issue and people will want to get closer to the action. Thinking of the VT game this past season. We had pretty good seats but I easily would've gone closer if given the opportunity. Someone smarter than I am can think of even more ways to make it unique.
Do away with the kids zone, put the beer garden there. Fill that area with bar top tables, couches, TV’s, Wi-Fi etc. just a lounge area. University of Colorado has a great beer garden that we could look at. Pipe dream nonetheless but fun to imagine.

If you get rid of the kids zone you will lose 25 percent of the fans. My kids and many others use. Leave the beer garden where it is and cover it and raise it up.

This. My wife isn't in to football at all but goes sometimes to appease me. Munchkin comes sometimes too and is fine till usually halftime or so, then gets bored. Kids zone is perfect for that and I could still enjoy the game.

We haven't been to Floyd in several years to enjoy the one we have, but having a kids zone at Marshall (the only opponent my wife will go to since she's a grad) would've been nice.

I have no problem if a fan wants to have a beer or two at the game but most folks are there to watch a sporting event, not stand around at the little tables in the end zone and get hammered.
Was right there with you on this until I went to a couple Sounds games at First TN. Soooo many people there couldn't tell you the score or who the Sounds are even playing. I don't see the point in buying a ticket just to drink overpriced beer, but like you said, to each their own. Just where things are headed now. Not really about the game anymore.

They built it almost identical to the rendering in the article. My son played 3-4 games in that park with summer baseball tourneys. It is simple, but nice. Something similar would be a nice addition to JRF.

Reactions: MTLynn
How much are single game tickets? 24 to 40 bucks? Am I off? I know that is close.

for that type of money, I get a little tired of hearing Larry Tolbert and “large mouth brass” being played year after year from the band. If you closed your eyes, the game day experience is the same as it was in 1998.

I would much rather watch it from my living room if my game day experience consists of that and a 100 “hey baby” songs.
These areas would be nothing but positive to add.

Here is the other thing. You don’t have to add rap/rock to spice everything up either.

$18 was cheapest general admission ticket last season. I did not renew my season tix, but decided to go to senior day to add 1 more butt in the seats for the seniors. Asked for the cheapest ticket they had and was surprised at the $18 tag. Thought it would be in the $10-12 range.

Reactions: Raiders_55
You all are looking at this all wrong. Why add fans when you can just reduce capacity?

Reduce stadium capacity to 5,000 with the upcoming renovations. That way, MT will have a full stadium for at least 2 or 3 games a year. Stock, M&M, et al. can boast of sellouts and renew contracts at will based on the number of sellouts each year. Problem solved. /s

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
APSU new event/basketball/hockey rink is coming together nicely. Meanwhile at MTSU, finally replacing the windows in a building built in 1972 and still no true work on an IPF.
About right size for C-USA Basketball tourney and OVC. Looks nice...

We will finish this just in time to join the OVC. We are so far behind the arms race we are the country of Andorra.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I heard that construction is supposed to start at the end of the football season. Not sure how reliable that info is though.
I also heard this and it was from a reliable source. They have all the funding needed for phase 1.

Reactions: ewglenn
I see your other school doing big things....https://twitter.com/MemphisFB/status/1524771869454336005?t=qaQj5u0FVrHbX0St6mCdmw&s=19
Can’t open the link but I assume this is about the $150-200MM Simmons First Stadium upgrades by the City of Memphis and private donors. It was announced this morning. The “on campus” stadium bunch probably ain’t happy about it but that stadium will always be home to me. Put in a lot of sweat , blood and a blown out knee in that stadium.

I’m fine with it.

Can’t open the link but I assume this is about the $150-200MM Simmons First Stadium upgrades by the City of Memphis and private donors. It was announced this morning. The “on campus” stadium bunch probably ain’t happy about it but that stadium will always be home to me. Put in a lot of sweat , blood and a blown out knee in that stadium.

I’m fine with it.
the outside looks like a mini jerry's world. Very nice upgrade.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Is that structure in the same location as earlier renderings indicated a campus hotel would be? Has that proposal been cut or moved?
I believe this (tennis) will be directly in front of the Murphy Center. There should be room for the hotel as renderings had that occupying more of the Greenland/HOF lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT