ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL MT Football Facilities

Bolt_Up_72

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2020
Middle of Tennessee
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while but I was wondering if there are any new updates on the status of MT's "Master Plan" for a new football training facility, indoor practice field, etc?

Are we any closer in $$ to begin breaking ground within the next couple years? It's just so frustrating to see other conference schools and Sun Belt schools lap you twice over in facilities.

This past summer in an interview, believe it was on either wgns or wnsr, Massaro put out a percentage (believe it was 90%) of the dollar amount raised towards what facility plan he was talking about and said they were close to announcing it later this year. I think someone then added that it would be announced mid-fall which led me to think it might be end of October/early November timeframe. Whether any of that is true or accurate, I can not say. Given all the crap that has been put out over the years to recruits and fans about new facilities, while we see non-football/non-basketball related facilities break ground and get completed with nothing happening to revenue sports, I'm not getting my hopes up for anything this year or maybe one or two or three years out.

It's been almost four years, IIRC, since they put out that video with Stockstill, Kermit, and Insell in it and we are still waiting.

Reactions: Bolt_Up_72
If they have 90% raised/appropriated/pledged I would be shocked. And I've never heard of such an ambitious plan being promoted without an accompanying fund drive. Yet, no wonder we never saw a fund drive.
We couldn't raise an measly $100 MM in the 100 year Century drive. (who knows how much was raised and for what it was used - the foundation sure didn't show any increase) Why have a fund drive? Don't need another embarrassment showing how little support we have from alumni and the area business community.

If they have 90% raised/appropriated/pledged I would be shocked. And I've never heard of such an ambitious plan being promoted without an accompanying fund drive. Yet, no wonder we never saw a fund drive.
We couldn't raise an measly $100 MM in the 100 year Century drive. (who knows how much was raised and for what it was used - the foundation sure didn't show any increase) Why have a fund drive? Don't need another embarrassment showing how little support we have from alumni and the area business community.
didn't they add an athletic building fund to the student fees? if so in 4 years that would raise 90% in funds he is talking about. So just another student built facility.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
This past summer in an interview, believe it was on either wgns or wnsr, Massaro put out a percentage (believe it was 90%)
Well I was wrong. Not surprising with each advancing year that my memory is not as good as it once was. It was not a radio interview, but on a subscription only dnj article initially published July 4, 2021 and then quietly updated on July 6th. The key excerpt below:

One of the things mentioned in the request for financial support is facility upgrades. You want to wait a bit before unveiling those plans, but can you speak briefly on the subject?

We're looking at population growth the area has experienced, and the real estate boom right now and how the Nashville area is red hot. Then you project what will MTSU be like athletically five years from now, 10 years from now and 15 years from now, and the sky is the limit. With recruits moving in, businesses moving in, we can become powerful. The real key to that equation is to up our facilities game. We’ve got the plan. I think we’ve got funding of about 90% in place. We're in good shape with it. Good things will come out of that. I'm so excited about that. Our fan base will, I hope, be excited about it. They want to see movement and action and we’re ready to provide that.

Since when so you wait till full funding is in place before you even break ground? Every building I've seen anywhere (us, other universities, the local rescue squad here) start before all the $ is in and that gets people seeing it and donate the rest, usually with a last push for the naming rights so to speak.

No way they have 90% of it. No way.

Since when so you wait till full funding is in place before you even break ground? Every building I've seen anywhere (us, other universities, the local rescue squad here) start before all the $ is in and that gets people seeing it and donate the rest, usually with a last push for the naming rights so to speak.
One of the most frustrating things with the leader of athletics and the leader of this university is there is absolutely NO SENSE OF URGENCY. And with that lack of urgency comes the arrogance of not feeling they have to explain themselves with each passing month, and year why they are screwing around. It's leads people who want to see something, anything, positive to support, to get angry, get frustrated, to lose interest, and to give up.

No way they have 90% of it. No way.
You are correct. The funds are not there.

I received some unexpected and surprisingly nasty text messages today in response to the above post. I’ll amend my statement that “it is my opinion” that the funds are not there and if they prove me wrong then good for everyone.

I think I struck a nerve.

Reactions: subkyle
Are there any big fish out there for donating to such a huge project, either as an individual or company? If there are and jt hasn't happened, thr BRAA/Alumni Foundation should also be reorganized. A

I received some unexpected and surprisingly nasty text messages today in response to the above post. I’ll amend my statement that “it is my opinion” that the funds are not there and if they prove me wrong then good for everyone.

Please tell us those texts were from fans and NOT MT employees.

If employees are texting you, then they should be absolutely outed and ridiculed publicly for contacting a fan about a message board post like that.

Reactions: Hop45

The PTB only have themselves to blame for the lack of credibility. It's well earned. Years of experience have fans not believing much of anything coming from the powers that be. From official attendance numbers that have become progressively fantastical, to quadrennial promises and announcements about facilities that still have not broken ground. These are government employees, after all. They don't like being challenged when the statements over promise or don't match reality.

If we have or had the money please explain why no dirt has moved. Believe it when I see it and even then, who trusts the ones in control it will be done and managed correctly?.?.?

Last edited:
The PTB only have themselves to blame for the lack of credibility. It's well earned. Years of experience have fans not believing much of anything coming from the powers that be. From official attendance numbers that have become progressively fantastical, to quadrennial promises and announcements about facilities that still have not broken ground. These are government employees, after all. They don't like being challenged when the statements over promise or don't match reality.
Like a bunch of politicians

Reactions: SpaceRaider
This.
A billboard outing the three amigos will bring attention.
I have no idea how to begin the process but I'm sure some of you do
Well there is one of the MT signs in Terminal C at BNA on the departing side and a matching TSU sign on the arriving side of the concourse entrance / exit. Both caught my eye last Sat.

The Jennings A. Jones College of Business’s Department of Information Systems & Analytics and Martin Chair of Insurance invites you to a webinar

“Black Swan Hunting: Handling Emergent Risk,”

presented by Dr. David Hillson.

Join us for this virtual event on
October 22nd, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm,
for an engaging discussion on emergent risk and to discover how to protect your organization and its projects from the unexpected. The future is uncertain but not unmanageable; position yourself for success amidst the uncertainty.

Dr. David Hillson is The Risk Doctor; he is a PMI-Fellow, award-winning author, and international thought leader in risk management.
For more information about Dr. Hillson, his website is at https://risk-doctor.com/.

Please click the image above or on the following link for details and registration.

Co-sponsored by the MTSU Distinguished Lecture

The Jennings A. Jones College of Business’s Department of Information Systems & Analytics and Martin Chair of Insurance invites you to a webinar

“Black Swan Hunting: Handling Emergent Risk,”

presented by Dr. David Hillson.

Join us for this virtual event on
October 22nd, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm,
for an engaging discussion on emergent risk and to discover how to protect your organization and its projects from the unexpected. The future is uncertain but not unmanageable; position yourself for success amidst the uncertainty.

Dr. David Hillson is The Risk Doctor; he is a PMI-Fellow, award-winning author, and international thought leader in risk management.
For more information about Dr. Hillson, his website is at https://risk-doctor.com/.

Please click the image above or on the following link for details and registration.

Co-sponsored by the MTSU Distinguished Lecture
Seems the entire Athletic Department should attend this!

Ok. I think the billboard guy that used to post on here is still alive. … that seems morbid doesn’t it.
Reaching out to him. Stay tuned.

I'll donate if McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill are all on the bill board and all appropriately chastised.

All 3 need to go and need to be publicly shamed until they resign

I love the billboard idea, but it won’t work. For what these guys are making, you can insult me on a billboard all you want.

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Please tell us those texts were from fans and NOT MT employees.

If employees are texting you, then they should be absolutely outed and ridiculed publicly for contacting a fan about a message board post like that.
Not gonna out this person because I still consider him a friend. We just disagree about loyalty to Stockstill. If Stock wants to complain (to folks who will still listen) about facility upgrades, the first place he needs to look is the mirror. For starters, he’s the highest paid employee on campus and flat out quit coming to the Temple Hills golf outing and they eventually killed it. Showing up to half-heartedly ask students in the cafeteria if they want a free T-shirt doesn’t solicit 6 and 7 figure donations. I could go on and on but we all know the real problems and right now the current situation is hopeless because the only folks with the power to effect change and fix this mess don’t even acknowledge there is a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiderclyde

Haven’t posted in a long time but it appears the Football operations center should start design this fall with construction slated to begin in 2023.
Welcome back. Seeing as it has taken 6 years to prepare and submit an RFQ just for design and GC/CM selection and expected completion 8 years since the process started, I’ll wait to see when steel comes out of the ground. Thanks for sharing this.

Not gonna out this person because I still consider him a friend. We just disagree about loyalty to Stockstill. If Stock wants to complain (to folks who will still listen) about facility upgrades, the first place he needs to look is the mirror. For starters, he’s the highest paid employee on campus and flat out quit coming to the Temple Hills golf outing and they eventually killed it. Showing up to half-heartedly ask students in the cafeteria if they want a free T-shirt doesn’t solicit 6 and 7 figure donations. I could go on and on but we all know the real problems and right now the current situation is hopeless because the only folks with the power to effect change and fix this mess don’t even acknowledge there is a problem.
I get it, but if that friend is an employee, they are part of the problem. No employee should text a fan about message board posts they disagree with. That’s pathetic.

If this athletic department was active and engaged with the fan base, they wouldn’t need to do that. Everyone of them should look in the mirror.

Seeing as it has taken 6 years to prepare and submit an RFQ just for design and GC/CM selection and expected completion 8 years since the process started, I’ll wait to see when steel comes out of the ground.
Sense of urgency is lacking. With inflation taking off, finished product will be a couple of double wides.

• Sad
Reactions: MTLynn
Sense of urgency is lacking. With inflation taking off, finished product will be a couple of double wides.

This is overlooked. It's so much more to build something now versus just a few years ago. So much more. I cannot imagine our "leaders" announcing or breaking ground any time soon.

Anything we might do just feels futile at this point. We had a window, we had a chance, our "leaders" didn't execute. It's too late to build new facilities and "get serious" about being a Division 1 program. We've been passed by and we will end up where we belong, I'm guessing FCS before all said & done or a joke of an FBS conference full of all the schools nobody else wants. Again, they should just shutter all athletics because this university does not take sports seriously.

Nobody wants or is going to care about some half ass athletic department led by the 3 stooges. It's dead. It's over. Game over. It's time to accept it and move on. Do the whole grieving process thing if you need to.

Reactions: coachchia
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT